Do you still ride your analog bicycle?

It’s a Multitrack 7200. I’d guess it’s around 20 pounds. I’ve had it over 20 years.
View attachment 138449
That is more probably a mid 30# bike. A spring fork like that probably weighs 5 pounds in itself, plus the heavy seat/seat post. You'd have to weigh it in an accurate manner to be sure but I wouldn't expect it to provide a riding experience similar to a more high end light weight bike. Tires and tire pressure also make a difference.

edit:
out of curiosity I did a small search, owners reported 33-36 pounds for that bike which sound realistic.

Last edited:
I found a new old stock “analog” speedometer for my analog bike!! Also for the Nexus hub, I mounted a small mirror on the rear housing to make for an easy adjustment of the shifting linkage. Works great!!
Oh, I see. Right. The clicker is at 90 degrees. You would need a mirror to view the yellow line.

I hear people sometimes say that they don't want an eBike because they want exercise. I tell them to fill the tires with water, then the will get exercise. It is just as silly to ride an electric bike without power. You will still get a workout, but can go further and faster, and more often.

I hear people sometimes say that they don't want an eBike because they want exercise. I tell them to fill the tires with water, then the will get exercise. It is just as silly to ride an electric bike without power. You will still get a workout, but can go further and faster, and more often.
Exactly. I get a fantastic workout, and get plenty of exercise, but am able to go faster and enjoy it more (and if going to almost exhaustion, I can still make it home). I ride with low assist or without power often, so that I can have much greater range (2x or 3x the “advertised” range).

People that don’t want an e-bike because they “want to exercise,” might not have the discipline to turn off the power or lower the assist, or are worried about damaging their ego? :)

(One caveat: the local bike clubs don’t allow e-bikes on their group rides, which is one of the reasons I’m considering going back and getting an analog bike. I did a club ride with a borrowed analog bike and was able to mostly keep up with the roadies, but had trouble when at not-downhill 25-30 mph speeds. I might also have been limited by my gearing. I had a 1x11, rather than 2x’s).

Last edited:
People that don’t want an e-bike because they “want to exercise,” might not have the discipline to turn off the power or lower the assist, or are worried about damaging their ego? :)
For me, riding a traditional bike is just so boring... :)

One caveat: the local bike clubs don’t allow e-bikes on their group rides
Lucky me to have found several bike clubs that allow me riding e-bikes with them. Gravel cycling.

@PSm, You could start your own group. I have done my own high mileage rides on 1 and sometimes Zero for longer low slope downhill runs. But why? It is 'so boring.' I have done three rides today. Mostly using 3, some Turbo, and some 2. That bike has four levels plus zero. Now I am back to swapping out a mid-drive's internal controller. With assembly lines shutting down and starting up, again and again, with lock downs there are now QC issues across all industries. One faulty sub-component will do it, such as a temp sensor or capacitor.

I am digging out a dinosaur bike as we speak, gag me. I just bought 42' boat 1,000 miles away in Louisiana. I have been warned by the locals not to try to have an e bike like mine anywhere near docks and boats. Their recommendation is to get something cheap. Suddenly my purpose-built long-distance E fat touring 80# four battery bike does not look so good. I need something I can chain to a post in front of a Piggly Wiggly food store.
I get to design and build some sort of purpose-built e bike for the boat. In the meantime, a dinosaur bike Fk.

I've ridden my e-bike 1,300 miles this year in upstate NY. I try to keep it on eco mode (level 1), but will go to 2 or 3 on hills. Just before heading to Florida for 5 weeks, my rack broke, so I've had to use the 1988 Trek (down tube shifters!) since arriving. First few rides were in strong wind. Half the ride was OK. After four rides I'm up to 20 miles at a little over 14 mph. Given my age (78), I think my e-bike riding definitely kept me in reasonable condition. Going forward, I think I'll ride my analog once or twice a week when I get home as a fitness barometer. But riding my e-bike is a hell of a lot more fun and allows me to go much farther afield.

The experiment went four blocks down to the mailbox and back. I was chanting too many colorful adjectives to ever consider this bike. I bought this bike back when I was half the age I am now, and I owned an airplane. Once you ride a really good E bike you are damaged goods from then on.
IMG_3450.JPG

Last edited:
I scheduled an appointment with my LBS to rejuvenate the analog hybrid hanging from the ceiling in the barn. It‘s Giant CoMax 2013. I think the tires are okay, but new tubes, flat pedals, inexpensive computer at least. I had forgotten about the credits I accrued in my LBS account from my ebike purchases (2). I have to my surprise about $450 in credit.
I’m interested in riding the Giant again for several reasons…1) there is an oddly steep hill nearby that cowered me onto my first ebike 4 years ago. Climbing it was pushing my HR high and exhausting me. Pride never allowed me to dismount so I often stayed home And split wood and walked Etc. But my plan with the Giant recommissioned is to come down it…the start is a gentle but then after you’ve built up speed comes the steep nose where I’ve you leaned low for…41mph, maybe 43…the ebike best is 36 tops. So the question is will my Giant (28tire) approach the old record, or is it me slipping from the 60s to 70s? And also I’d simply like to reacquaint myself with this lively lightweight of yesteryear.

That is more probably a mid 30# bike. A spring fork like that probably weighs 5 pounds in itself, plus the heavy seat/seat post. You'd have to weigh it in an accurate manner to be sure but I wouldn't expect it to provide a riding experience similar to a more high end light weight bike. Tires and tire pressure also make a difference.

edit:
out of curiosity I did a small search, owners reported 33-36 pounds for that bike which sound realistic.
That interesting and I guess it doesn’t surprise me it’s that heavy. I pumped up the tires and cleaned the chain before I rode. I know how to get a lot of weight out of any bike I ride but that‘s a story for dieting forums.:(

Back