Do you break spokes?

Dave E

I've never had a broken spoke before, but I've broken two spokes on my Vado 2.0 in less than 600 miles.

I'm curious to know how often the average Turbo rider breaks a spoke.

My bike shop found, and fixed, one spoke on my Vado 3.0. They said it was probably due to a manufacturing issue - I believe they said overtightening of something...

Something is not right for sure. My rule of thumb is if a wheel has broken three spokes, either rebuild or replace the wheel.

Pretty sure poster knows something's not right, he's probably frustrated and wondering if it's just his Specialized. Did your Haibike have to have wheels rebuilt or replaced?

While not a Turbo rider here, I have had 2 (rear hub) spokes break on my current bike, in the first 450 miles put on the bike (the 2 breaks were 2 weeks / 276 miles apart.) The current bike is a replacement (same make/model) to the first bike -- I'd run 850 miles on that without broken spokes (when it died an electrical death.)
Fingers crossed--I've gone another 275 miles since that 2nd spoke broke, and haven't had another break...
LBS wheel master told me that it isn't uncommon on rear hub wheels, particularly if the nipple can't articulate in the hole enough to let the spoke leave the nipple in a true/straight line to its hub connection... as in my rear wheel -- you can see that several rear spokes have a slight bend right at the nipple exit, in order to meet up with the hub; that bend then becomes a stress point and that is where both of mine broke.

While not a Turbo rider here, I have had 2 (rear hub) spokes break on my current bike, in the first 450 miles put on the bike (the 2 breaks were 2 weeks / 276 miles apart.) The current bike is a replacement (same make/model) to the first bike -- I'd run 850 miles on that without broken spokes (when it died an electrical death.)
Fingers crossed--I've gone another 275 miles since that 2nd spoke broke, and haven't had another break...
LBS wheel master told me that it isn't uncommon on rear hub wheels, particularly if the nipple can't articulate in the hole enough to let the spoke leave the nipple in a true/straight line to its hub connection... as in my rear wheel -- you can see that several rear spokes have a slight bend right at the nipple exit, in order to meet up with the hub; that bend then becomes a stress point and that is where both of mine broke.

What is the brand of the bike? Is it a 1500 dollar bike or a 4000 dollar bike? Cheap bikes I wouldn't be surprised at a broken spoke, but a Specialized electric, that doesn't seem right. The Specialized electrics have boost spacing (wider) hubs so the wheel is stronger.

For my Specialized Turbo Como, the owner's manual listed the kinds of terrain the bike was suited for and the maximum weight to be carried, i.e. don't put over 250 pounds on it and don't take the cruiser on mountain bike jumps. If I follow those guidelines I would expect spoke replacement to be warrantied. Since Specialized is not a mail order bike, the owner should be able to go to the bike shop and have it fixed free.

What is the brand of the bike? Is it a 1500 dollar bike or a 4000 dollar bike? Cheap bikes I wouldn't be surprised at a broken spoke, but a Specialized electric, that doesn't seem right. The Specialized electrics have boost spacing (wider) hubs so the wheel is stronger.
Sorry - brand / model is in my Signature block for Forum posts... Vintage Electric Bikes' Cafe -- $4000 bike.

I have had 1 spoke break (rear wheel - Felt Sporte), in the 1st 200 miles, then 300 miles later another broke. I replaced them and now carry a couple spare spokes taped to the rear rack frame. No additional breaks after an additional 500 miles. If another breaks, I will do a new wheel build. With my previous non-Electric bike, I had two spoke breaks in about 40,000 miles, using bike for same purpose & same load. It could be the factory build, the additional weight or the additional speed/torque of the Felt E-Bike. Still learning .....

Pretty sure poster knows something's not right, he's probably frustrated and wondering if it's just his Specialized.

Spokes primarily fail at the head, which "pops off." They can fail at the nipple end at the rim also, but this is much less common. Sometimes it is apparent what is the cause; a poor fit of the spoke in the hub, or alignment of the nipple in the rim. But most often the reason is unknown; my three spoke rule is more about removing doubt and frustration for a customer than anything else. If it is an older bike that has seen a lot of miles, I'd say fatigue, but on a new bike (and 600 miles qualifies as new) it should not happen.

For my Specialized Turbo Como, the owner's manual listed the kinds of terrain the bike was suited for and the maximum weight to be carried, i.e. don't put over 250 pounds on it and don't take the cruiser on mountain bike jumps. If I follow those guidelines I would expect spoke replacement to be warrantied. Since Specialized is not a mail order bike, the owner should be able to go to the bike shop and have it fixed free.
Hi
Do you mean that 250 pounds is rider and luggage or do mean total weight including the bike?
I haven’t received my Vado yet and don’t know where to find the owners manual online. The user manual found at specialized.com doesn’t specify total weight as far as I can see.
Thanks

Edit / addition
I found this document on specialized.com that actually specifies structural weight. I interpret that as max total weight incl. bike, rider and cargo. Appears to be 300 pounds for the Vado.
Thats ok with me but Ikm not too happy about what the paper says about intended use, Condition 2.
I don’t think Stockholm is the only city in the world that has potholes on public roads:oops:
Well we’ll see how long the spokes last:)
I have been thinking and wondering about the 28 spoke solution.

Edit 2
I may have misunderstood the meaning of structural weight. It doesn’t include the bike does it?

Last edited:
Pretty sure poster knows something's not right, he's probably frustrated and wondering if it's just his Specialized. Did your Haibike have to have wheels rebuilt or replaced?
I took the bike to my LBS for some other warranty work and to repair this spoke. Specialized ended up condemning the bike because of the other issues and giving me a brand new one. I'm eager to see how the spokes hold up on this bike.

I'm a heavy guy, but I think most of the trouble is with these horrible urban streets in Burbank and Glendale. It's not just potholes, but bad patches, some of which span multiple lanes.

(Edit: I'm not on a Vado or other Specialized; Vintage Electric's Cafe here.)
Curiously, sadly -- my 3rd spoke broke tonight on the ride home. And while I started out back in March at 303lbs when I got the bike, I never broke a spoke in the 852 miles I accumulated on that first bike (before it had to be replaced with a brand new identical model, following an electronic death that wasn't resolvable at the LBS or with a new controller installed.)
The 2nd Cafe bike, I've been increasingly lighter (to the point tonite, I'm now down 43 pounds from where I started) - and yet 3 spokes have broken in 854 miles. All 3 broke at the nipple, not at the hub. My rides are nearly 100% paved bike path (albeit, plenty of root-buckled ridges, asphalt gaps and seams, etc.) All 3 broke while on the same old route I use every time, for office commute.
Anyway -- after spoke #2 broke, it was agreed the next spoke to break (if it happened) would trigger a new rear wheel sent out to me... fingers crossed...!

Last edited:
ebikes break spokes, and it seems to be an issue with the factory builds and the stresses on the wheels rather than that it is something you have to expect. My Turbo S had issues with spokes breaking - after a by-hand rebuild of the wheel it has been perfect with 10,000km on that wheel. People tell me all sorts of tales of woe about their ebike wheels, again, it's not even that they are using cheap spokes, it's the quality of the build that seems to be the issue. Some factories seem better than others.
So if you are having problems (as @Nova Haibike suggested perhaps 3 broken spokes) it is time to rebuild the wheel with new spokes and nipples. It should be OK thereafter assuming your mechanic is competent. You can ask that it be done under warranty but don't lose your sh!t if they don't. They probably are only required to replace broken ones as they happen (that obligation will vary depending on your country's consumer regulations).

Specialized will replace your spokes free under warranty. By the third spoke they will replace all with higher quality or a new handbuilt wheel. This is what my local bike shop said. You wish it wouldn't break in the first place, but still better than having to deal with a mail order bike.

Is this a problem with low quality spokes? Should the same spokes be ok in 32 spoke wheel?
Several other manufacturers use 32 spokes (Scott, Trek, Kalkhoff). Bulls use 36 spokes on their Lacuba e-bikes.

Not one single day have I worried about braking spokes on my present bike (GF utopia) on day trips 30 miles away from home.
I regret not looking up this forum before ordering my Vado. Just read other reviews.

Last edited:
Sorry - brand / model is in my Signature block for Forum posts... Vintage Electric Bikes' Cafe -- $4000 bike.
Vintage Electric Bikes are very awesome bikes! While I'm not a big fan of Rear Hub Motors I would make an exception for their bikes! After all it was a Vintage Electric Bike that triggered me to start looking at E-Bikes. The quality and craftmanship is without question top notch! I would Love to have the Scrambler S sitting next to my Como 3.0 in the garage! (I would even get the Race Mode option added too);) Oh and I'm a Heavy Rider (252Lbs started off at 265lbs ebike is working at weight loss) haven't broke any spokes on my bike, currently at 314 miles.

Last edited:
VEB is lacing up a new rear wheel for me... they've indicated they'll go with different spokes, and will have their wheel builder handle the build / rim---not sure how that may differ from their normal wheel assembly... but I'll hopefully have the new wheel by end of next week...

Back