Do Dealers Discount?

Diver4242

I'm thinking about getting a Magnum at a local dealer. Do dealers discount or is it always MSRP, i.e. $1,999 for the Metro/Metro +? Any other buying tips?

I'm thinking about getting a Magnum at a local dealer. Do dealers discount or is it always MSRP, i.e. $1,999 for the Metro/Metro +? Any other buying tips?

Very good question, especially for brands like Specialized and Trek. I usually see the Treks advertised at MSRP. Not sure if they have as much elbow room to discount as other bike mfgs do...

Some dealers discount in off season, but that usually ends around March 1. See if they have any 2017s left, that would be your best chance.

You can certainly ask for a better price. The bike business is hurting big time so be wary of dealers who constantly discount as it may be a sign of financial distress. A more important question to ask is how they handle warranty service and whether they cover labor. A few more questions would be: a) do they offer warranty pick up and delivery b) do they offer financial assistance (no interest pay over time e.g.), c) do they have a roadside assistance program in case you have problems on the road, d) are they any free maintenance programs for buying a bike, and e) do they offer special pricing on accessories (many stores will offer a discount on accessories for buying a bike from them)

You can certainly ask for a better price. The bike business is hurting big time so be wary of dealers who constantly discount as it may be a sign of financial distress. A more important question to ask is how they handle warranty service and whether they cover labor. A few more questions would be: a) do they offer warranty pick up and delivery b) do they offer financial assistance (no interest pay over time e.g.), c) do they have a roadside assistance program in case you have problems on the road, d) are they any free maintenance programs for buying a bike, and e) do they offer special pricing on accessories (many stores will offer a discount on accessories for buying a bike from them)

Like to add my 2 cents-If they say YES to any of those questions during a potential sale, make sure you ask if they can 'put that in writing'. Verbal sometimes is used just to get the sale at hand.

Theres certainly no fault in asking.

Asking about servicing, accessories, financing, time of delivery, etc are all good topics to gain clarity on.

Oddly we expect bike dealers with close margins to cut prices, but who amoung us is willing to take a pay cut on the job to make our customers happy? Expect a deal on a floor model/demo, or last years leftover stock. Otherwise pay up.

I received a 10% Black Friday discount at Ebikes of New England 1 1/2 years ago. $237.40 off of a $2374 purchase. The product was already marked down $100 or so making it a double discount.

My LBS I have dealt with for years has great prices on his Giant line of regular bikes but his E-bike prices are all MSRP. I know he stands behind everything he sells and would take good care of anyone who buys from him. I had not even considered a Giant E-bike until last week I did not even know he sold E-bikes. When I stopped in to see what he had for me to convert to electric. He told me he started selling Giant E-bikes as well as Bionx kits. He has only 2 a 2017 dirt-E pro and a 2018 dirt-e. Told me to take the Pro for couple days and try it out. I have not taken him up on his offer because I still do not know if I want to spend that much. I believe the Quick-E would suit me better. It would be nice to have a local guy.

Last edited:
Oddly we expect bike dealers with close margins to cut prices, but who amoung us is willing to take a pay cut on the job to make our customers happy? Expect a deal on a floor model/demo, or last years leftover stock. Otherwise pay up.

It's a rare business that can charge full price for a commodity product and expect to survive. Ebikes still have a bit of novelty aspect to them, but as the market shakes out, there's sure to be rampant discounting considering the fat margins.

Most LBS near me are reluctantly stocking a few ebikes, but I'm hugely skeptical of value-for-money they offer. The things that go wrong (electronics) are things they aren't trained to handle properly. The few ebike-only stores are the only place I'd consider buying locally.

It's a rare business that can charge full price for a commodity product and expect to survive. Ebikes still have a bit of novelty aspect to them, but as the market shakes out, there's sure to be rampant discounting considering the fat margins.

Most LBS near me are reluctantly stocking a few ebikes, but I'm hugely skeptical of value-for-money they offer. The things that go wrong (electronics) are things they aren't trained to handle properly. The few ebike-only stores are the only place I'd consider buying locally.
Sadly for the little guy the margins are NOT fat.

Back