DIY speed sensor replacement

StrongZero

Can the Bosch speed sensor be replaced by the user without needing to visit a dealer to clear any error codes?

Are all the chain stay mounted sensors the same?

It is best to have a dealer clear the codes, though I realize that is not always possible depending on your location.

Many OEM frame designs may necessitate removal of Drive Unit to allow access for replacing certain wires.. This may present some opportunities for additional damage to other parts, etc. Again, one of the reasons we recommend having the work performed by a Certified dealer.

There are several different lengths for the Bosch speed sensors, depending on frame design. On top of that, some of our OEM partners now use their own proprietary speed sensor solutions. It's gotten to be fairly complex as eBike frame designs have evolved in the past few years.

Not sure if this helps with your issue, but hopefully it's a little more insight at least. :)

Thanks for the insights, I have now confirmed the exact replacement sensor for this bike. The old one has physical damage to the cable so I'm certain that's the problem. The motor is out of warranty and I'm not concerned about dropping the motor to access the connector, but really want to know if the error code will clear itself after replacing the sensor or if the dealer needs to do anything else to activate the new sensor. Can I just connect up the new one and be riding again? I'm unable to get the bike to a dealer for the foreseeable future.

It is best to have a dealer clear the codes, though I realize that is not always possible depending on your location.

Many OEM frame designs may necessitate removal of Drive Unit to allow access for replacing certain wires.. This may present some opportunities for additional damage to other parts, etc. Again, one of the reasons we recommend having the work performed by a Certified dealer.

There are several different lengths for the Bosch speed sensors, depending on frame design. On top of that, some of our OEM partners now use their own proprietary speed sensor solutions. It's gotten to be fairly complex as eBike frame designs have evolved in the past few years.

Not sure if this helps with your issue, but hopefully it's a little more insight at least. :)

Agree with William.
I had a error code 503 and that's was caused by a default speedsensor.
Take the bike to the dealer and they replace the speedsensor and cleared the code (this is not cleared by replacing the sensor).

It’s disconcerting such a simple maintenance task cannot be performed by the user, even when out of warranty. Effectively you are locked into a service agreement for life and never truly own the bike. I understand this is done under the guise of complying with EU regulations but it’s a step too far for the consumer with no downside for the vendor.

Although the replacement of the faulty part won't clear the error codes, they should not have any affect on your usage of the eBike. They will be "hidden" in the Drive Unit, accessible only by the Diagnostic Software, and not visible from the display unless there is an issue again. Best practice dictates we clear codes so we know if they return, but I realize this is not always possible.

I should have been more clear in my initial response, my apologies.

- Installing a new part does not automatically clear the error code

BUT

- You don't need to clear the error code for the eBike to function properly

An error code is literally just a record saying, "At some point in time, this issue happened. May or may not be happening still." In your case, sounds like you solved the physical issue. On my personal eBike, I usually find a few error codes whenever I plug it in, even though it is functioning fine and I have no idea they are in there. The codes I get are usually caused by my own carelessness when I'm using the eBike as a teaching tool.

As a reference to anyone else reading this in the future, there are a few codes that would need to be cleared for proper operation, but they are less common.

Bosch does not offer any sort of service agreement, and does not dictate how individual bicycle shops do business. If your local shop does require a service agreement, I'd maybe recommend looking for a different shop that offers service a la carte, and gives you only what you want/need.

It’s disconcerting such a simple maintenance task cannot be performed by the user, even when out of warranty. Effectively you are locked into a service agreement for life and never truly own the bike. I understand this is done under the guise of complying with EU regulations but it’s a step too far for the consumer with no downside for the vendor.
For most people this would not be classified as a simple maintenance task. Crank puller, specialized Bosch spider tool, removing engine cover whilst keeping seals intact, routing the cable+connector through a frame (depending on bike) and finally putting the engine cover back (possibly with a new seal, cleaning & re-greasing) with the appropriate torque settings on the bolts, etc.

Back