DIY Ebikemotion Range Extender

Just Finished my DIY ebikemotion range extender. Tell me what you think?

Attachments

• 20201010_101411.jpg
    20201010_101411.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2,459
  • 20201010_101858.jpg
    20201010_101858.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 3,589
This would fit any bike that has the x35 ebikemotion system with it's charging plug at the top of the bottom bracket. All the ebikemotion equipped bikes (Ribble, Orbea, Pinarello) have the same charging plug, plug location and operating system, so they should be compatible. The battery extension uses 10ea 21700 lipo cells that adds 180 watts at 36 volts to the bikes current 250 watts at 36 volts. I suppose it's adaptable to other e-bikes with a change in output cable.

The images are of my second prototype that was just taken on a long hilly ride today. It worked really well. I tested it on my wife's bike who would have run her battery down to near zero on today's 40 mile ride with 2,000 feet of climbing. She still had 42% power left on her bike at the end of the ride, while my bike, with no extension battery had only 18% power left. Without the extension battery the most we both have ridden is 60 miles with less than 1,000 feet of climbing and my wife's bike battery has less than 3% left at the end of that ride, while my bike had only 6%.

I'd estimate that now with this extension battery she could now make it up to 60 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing or 100 miles on a flat ride. This as much as I'd hoped for. I wanted us to be able to do more of the epic mountainous rides. I'm 65 and my wife is 63 and these battery extensions are going to come in handy as time goes on.

PS. The enclosure was made using my Creality CR10S printer using ABS filament.

Last edited:
Beautiful work! You could probably sell those if you wanted to :)
I'd sure be interested myself as a gift for my girlfriend. Bought a Wilier e-road for her so we could ride together, she was in an accident (at work) many years back and lost her right leg so she needs a bit of help.

Once again, beautiful work. I bet the next iteration would look fantastic with even stealthier looks :)

@Sierratim wanted to call your attention to this thread that relates to an old conversation about untested range extenders for the Specialized battery ... the correct cable and plug for brose motors is available from Grin ... the BMS is still unknown however.

I found the plug and socket source but didn't buy them because there was a 500 piece minimum. Instead I cut the plug and some length of wire from the charger and replace with my own plug. I used a matching socket to the new charging plug on the extender. I then charge the bike and the extender together with the extender plugged into the bike.

Ho trovato la spina e la presa di corrente ma non le ho acquistate perché c'era un minimo di 500 pezzi. Invece ho tagliato la spina e un po 'di filo dal caricatore e li ho sostituiti con la mia. Ho usato una presa corrispondente alla nuova spina di ricarica sull'estensore. Quindi carico la bici e l'extender insieme all'estensore collegato alla bici.

I found the plug and socket source but didn't buy them because there was a 500 piece minimum. Instead I cut the plug and some length of wire from the charger and replace with my own plug. I used a matching socket to the new charging plug on the extender. I then charge the bike and the extender together with the extender plugged into the bike.

Ho trovato la spina e la presa di corrente ma non le ho acquistate perché c'era un minimo di 500 pezzi. Invece ho tagliato la spina e un po 'di filo dal caricatore e li ho sostituiti con la mia. Ho usato una presa corrispondente alla nuova spina di ricarica sull'estensore. Quindi carico la bici e l'extender insieme all'estensore collegato alla bici.
Very cool of you to answer in both languages. Thanks.

This would fit any bike that has the x35 ebikemotion system with it's charging plug at the top of the bottom bracket. All the ebikemotion equipped bikes (Ribble, Orbea, Pinarello) have the same charging plug, plug location and operating system, so they should be compatible. The battery extension uses 10ea 21700 lipo cells that adds 180 watts at 36 volts to the bikes current 250 watts at 36 volts. I suppose it's adaptable to other e-bikes with a change in output cable.

The images are of my second prototype that was just taken on a long hilly ride today. It worked really well. I tested it on my wife's bike who would have run her battery down to near zero on today's 40 mile ride with 2,000 feet of climbing. She still had 42% power left on her bike at the end of the ride, while my bike, with no extension battery had only 18% power left. Without the extension battery the most we both have ridden is 60 miles with less than 1,000 feet of climbing and my wife's bike battery has less than 3% left at the end of that ride, while my bike had only 6%.

I'd estimate that now with this extension battery she could now make it up to 60 miles with about 4,000 feet of climbing or 100 miles on a flat ride. This as much as I'd hoped for. I wanted us to be able to do more of the epic mountainous rides. I'm 65 and my wife is 63 and these battery extensions are going to come in handy as time goes on.

PS. The enclosure was made using my Creality CR10S printer using ABS filament.
WoW! This look awsome! Just bought a Cannondale with the Ebikemotion x35 motor. I wonder if your masterpiece would fit?

I've tied in a 36V 10Ah Lithium Ion Battery with BMS 20A Protection Board as a range extender. It was meant to be a full eBike power source mounted as a removable bottle but it's less intrusive on my bike rack. The bike motion flashes a warning about excessive charge power when I connect it after letting the main battery drain 25%. It's not a lot of help off.

I saw mention of powering a DIY range extender right after powering up the bike. I'm wondering if this is a technique to hold cell balance closer from a full charge. I don't know much about a "BMS 20A Protection Board." The only solution I've come up with is a series current limiting resistor. The trick is, do I plan the resistor for a few volt differential or all the way to full discharge. If I ride pulling 125 watts and I can only charge at 2 AMP my battery differential voltage will climb. If I can limit my consumption to around 70 watts the differential voltage will remain stable. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    469.6 KB · Views: 449
I would suggest to use a DC/DC step up boost converter. This allows to set/limit the output voltage and current independent to the input voltage.

I see that at least a couple of people had made battery extenders.

Now after time could those developers give an indication on how well they work?

If for some reason those extenders don't work while riding can one be used for charging the battery while stopping; eg coffee break?

I see that at least a couple of people had made battery extenders.

Now after time could those developers give an indication on how well they work?

If for some reason those extenders don't work while riding can one be used for charging the battery while stopping; eg coffee break?
Mine is a $200 hack. I found this on Amazon. It's too large for the seat tube on my frame so I put it on my rack. I snipped my charger cable and insert 2x 30 amp Anderson powerpoles so it can connect to the stock charger or the "range extender." The range extender must be turned on after the Gain drive. Also you cannot ride and connect it later, it's too fast a charge rate. I do the same ride weekly. Without the range extender I come in flashing red. With the range extender it just turns green. The ride is 24 miles with 1200 feet of climbing.

Onebuy Ebike Battery 36V 10Ah Lithium Ion Battery with Charger BMS Protection Board Water Bottl Electric Bike Battery Pack for 250W to 350W Motor Mountain Bicycle Black​

Mine is a $200 hack. I found this on Amazon. It's too large for the seat tube on my frame so I put it on my rack. I snipped my charger cable and insert 2x 30 amp Anderson powerpoles so it can connect to the stock charger or the "range extender." The range extender must be turned on after the Gain drive. Also you cannot ride and connect it later, it's too fast a charge rate. I do the same ride weekly. Without the range extender I come in flashing red. With the range extender it just turns green. The ride is 24 miles with 1200 feet of climbing.

Onebuy Ebike Battery 36V 10Ah Lithium Ion Battery with Charger BMS Protection Board Water Bottl Electric Bike Battery Pack for 250W to 350W Motor Mountain Bicycle Black​

Do you have a link for the battery, I can't find it?

A minor update. I've moved the mounting location from my rack to the down tube. It took a drill & counter sink operation to get a new M6 flat head way down in the base of the battery mount. The cord length to reach the old location is just coiled up using cable ties. I'll take the slack out after a test ride.

Does anyone have the part number or a source for the plug that's on the chargers cord?
I'd prefer to put a connector directly on my DIY range extender cord rather than redo the Anderson Power Poles.

Can your range extender be used when the main battery is partially run down?
Can you you use the extender at a break after a part of a ride?

Can your range extender be used when the main battery is partially run down?
Can you you use the extender at a break after a part of a ride?
My DIY extender stuffs too much power into the main battery if not run from the start. When you arrive at a destination, turning the bike off causes it to power up in the charger mode. When you jump back on the extender has to be turned off, and the bike rebooted. Once back on the extender can be powered on again.

I did a 20 mile ride first and then powered on the range extender. The eBikemotion app threw up a dialog box stating the power input was too high. The main control button was also getting warm.

Back