Dilemma - Ecotric 48v vs. 2019 RadMini

MickeyA

I know asking this question is probably not fair so let me start by saying that I have recently bought the Ecotric 500w 36v/12ah(Link below). I have had it for a few days and have about 30 miles on it. I love the thing - I just wish it had a little more umph - that is power and battery. It carries my 230 well but based on my calculations running mid-power, I will only have a range of about 25-30 miles per charge. We only bought 1 e-bike to start with to ensure brands like Ecotric were not a piece of crap. It seems that the reviews were very well representative of what we have now. No complaints.

So anyway, I am looking at a 48v e-bike for our second bike for myself and my heavier weight. As stated above I want better range without having to stay on PAS 1. So Ecotric has a 48v bike for about $927 as of today. It seems to change a little every few days. See the link below. It has a top speed of 23ish MPH with a range of 23-28(electric only - for which don't ever plan to run in this mode) - there are no reviews of this bike so I am a little concerned about that. It does come with an actual display for what this is worth. It also has wheel fenders(the RadMinis do not).

The RadMinis(link below) are listed as 750w but have seen some threads that they juice up a 350w???? So that may or may not the case as well as a possible ding against the Rads in general. Lots of reviews on this bike which makes me feel like it is indeed a better bike. But then this bike is north of $500 more than the Ecotric. Also noting no fenders - which I do realize that there isn't much benefit unless riding through wet/water/etc...The Rad also has front and rear lights - something I will have to buy for the Ecotrics that I currently own as well as the possible new one.

Anyways - those are my current choices and my max amount of money that I willing to spend on a 2nd bike - I will open be open to suggestions of some other bike as long as it meets my general requirements above as well as my budget.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
--Mickey A

Ecotric 500w 36v/12ah
https://smile.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Fo...i=B07CPFRW4T&refRID=60G8M55B2R338A1JCZ5H&th=1

Ecotric 500w 48v/13ah
https://smile.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-El...&pd_rd_r=54acbded-c1d1-4ec4-a889-44382bc119f6

2019 RadMini 48v/14ah
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike

I would never lean too hard on any of the wattage figures for e-bikes. The numbers are all over the place and in general it is almost a philosophical question what the "correct" number would even be. Numbers are both overstated (for marketing hype) and understated (to comply with regulations) and anyone who doesn't have a dynanometer in their garage is unlikely to make any sense of it -- because it totally does not make sense.

If you want/need to actually compare figures amongst e-bikes with respect to power output those numbers do not exist.

Having said that, the Rad Mini is a perfectly fine bike and you'd probably be happy with it.

Kind of interesting that they brought out a 48V Ecotric. I'm sure it's exactly the same as my 36V Ecotric, same motor, same frame, same components with the exception of a 48V controller with LCD, and a 48V battery. The latter two items probably adds $60-70 to their cost, and they increase the price by $135. I guess that is fair. I have run my 36V Ecotric on 48V, but it wouldn't be a fair comparison unless I hooked up a higher current controller. I'll do that when the lazy hot summer nights come around.

The watt-hours, if the battery labels are honest are...
Ecotric 36 432 wh
Ecotric 48 624 wh
Radmini 672 wh

You'll get 50% more range with the 48V battery, riding all at the same speed, and you probably will ride at the same speed.

The Radmini has some pluses for the extra $550. They finally put on an 11-34T freewheel, a $20 part It sports a cheap suspension fork. Tires might be more resistant to punctures. Samsung cells in battery, so it will last a little longer. From what I see on the other Ecotric bikes, the LCD on the 48V model appears to an SW900 which I think is also used on a Radmini. You will probably find the pedal assist smoother on either of the 48V bikes with 5 lebel PAS.

I weighed my Ecoctric 36 today at 59.7 pounds. That's a lot of weight for a lttle ebike, and the Radmini is about 8 pounds more. I can feel the extra weight on low pedal assist, but the motor is stronger than on our regular folders and it doesn't feel underpowered. At our house, no need for a fat little fatbike, so I wouldn't get another.

The Ecoctric 36 motor has an axle width of 175mm like a fat bike. but I'd guess 50mm of that is spacer between the disk brake rotor and motor. The motor width is around 3 inches (75mm) like most other 500W ebikes. Add another inch for the freewheel and that's 175.

This is not a bike that should be ridden fast. I don't think the Radmini is either. Not with its weight, a folding frame, folding steerer tube, and the mechanical disks.

Back