Difficult to decide between Trek Supercommuter 7+ and a 2018 Haibike Trekking 9.5.

fr8dogjoe

One has options the other does not. Both same price point. First ebike purchase. Would like input from some experienced riders. I like the looks of each bike, and will mostly ride for pleasure as opposed to commuting. Will run a few errands, but mostly fun. Appreciate any input from everyone.

From just looking at the specs, the big differences seem to be the drive unit, display and fork.

Regarding drive system, both have Bosch systems, but different versions. The Trek has a Performance Line unit, while the Haibike has a CX unit. The CX is popular for eMTB because of its higher torque rating and overall performance more tailored to eMTB. The Performance Line unit on the Trek is the lower rated unit of 2 Performance Line models, which supports speeds up to 20 mph ("Cruise"). There is a higher rated unit that supports speeds up to 28 mph ("Speed"). You can see all the specs on the Bosch site https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/products/drive-units/

The display unit on the Trek is the Purion, which is a small, compact unit, while the Haibike has the Intuvia, which is larger and removable. Both are fine. For eMTB I definitely like a smaller display - in fact my eMTB has no display (the Turbo Levo). My city bike is a Tern Vektron, with an Intuvia that I really like.

Haibike has a suspension fork, while Trek is rigid. So the ride on the Haibike should be a lot smoother with the shock.

The key components look a little higher end on the Haibike - 11 speed Deore 8000 system vs 10 speed Deore 6000 on the Trek.

That suspension fork would be enough for me to go with the Haibike, just for comfort. All in all, I think the Haibike has an edge.

I'm currently salivating over the SDURO Trekking S 9.0, which has a integrated downtube and speed drive unit. The dream is the yet to be released XDURO Adventr 6.0.

e bike tech is very dynamic and changing rapidly. Wait 6 months, the older bikes get cheaper and the newer bikes cause insatiable desire.

Last edited:
I agree with the recommendation of the Trekking. as well for the above reasons. We anticipate this being one of the more popular bikes this season. We don’t sell Trek, but if I did I would still recommend the Trekking.

I would recommend getting the Haibike and adding a Kinect suspension seatpost. This will give you a really comfortable ride.

One thing I’ll note, from my experience many people end up doing more with their bike than they anticipated when they purchased it. That being said you’ll might find yourself looking for places to explore like dirt roads and light trails. The Haibike will excel in these areas with it's suspension fork.

Thanks for everyone's input. Called Santa Barbara Electric Bike yesterday and the Haibike warehouse has 8 2018 SDURO Trekking 9.5's left in stock in my size. I did check out the Giant Quick E, and felt the Haibike was the better of the 2. I will install a more upright, possible a 4" riser handlebar, and a different seat. A great looking bike and on sale for $3799. I can not wait to receive it.

Enjoy the bike! Make sure to report back with how things go.
HI Chris, Do you know much about the Haibike Trekking S 9.0? I'm thinking of buying one. There is one new one left at the shop near me. Retail at 3999, on sale for 2950. Thoughts overall on this bike?

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_164423.jpg
    IMG_20190614_164423.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_20190614_164427.jpg
    IMG_20190614_164427.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 475
HI Chris, Do you know much about the Haibike Trekking S 9.0? I'm thinking of buying one. There is one new one left at the shop near me. Retail at 3999, on sale for 2950. Thoughts overall on this bike?
I generally prefer a wider tire but I think this is a good value. I think @Ravi might have owned one of these for a bit.

Hey, Chris. Went to pick up my 2018 Trekking 9.5 last Sunday. Ordered the XL as was recommended by the Haibike web sight. Much to my dismay, the frame was too big. The stand over height was not enough. If you are able to check out some different sizes before you buy, I recommend doing so. I read somewhere in this forum that Haibike frame sizes run big. I am 6’3” and have a 35” inseam. I am now purchasing a 2019 Trekking 7.0. It has a lower watt motor (250 vs 350), but the torque output is 75nm compared to 60nm of the 350w. The bike retails for $3899 and I am purchasing it for $3499. I looked at the Trekking S, but like you I prefer the wider tires.
Also, good luck to RDPChef on your purchase. Do your homework before your purchase.
I am picking up my bike tomorrow.

Hey, Chris. Went to pick up my 2018 Trekking 9.5 last Sunday. Ordered the XL as was recommended by the Haibike web sight. Much to my dismay, the frame was too big. The stand over height was not enough. If you are able to check out some different sizes before you buy, I recommend doing so. I read somewhere in this forum that Haibike frame sizes run big. I am 6’3” and have a 35” inseam. I am now purchasing a 2019 Trekking 7.0. It has a lower watt motor (250 vs 350), but the torque output is 75nm compared to 60nm of the 350w. The bike retails for $3899 and I am purchasing it for $3499. I looked at the Trekking S, but like you I prefer the wider tires.
Also, good luck to RDPChef on your purchase. Do your homework before your purchase.
@fr8dogjoe the trekking s9.0 I rode yesterday was an xsmall. I'm 5'9" tall and would have chosen a much larger bike had I not rode this size. I can change the seat and bar height as much as needed and as much as the bike can handle. Was surprised when the guy recommend I test that size, but it worked.
I've been looking at the 2019 vs 2018 of the same bike. Other than aesthetics and the in-tube motor, not a huge difference for the much higher cost. It's odd to me that we are half way through 2019 and the stores are now selling the 2018's at a discount. I would have expected that late last year and early this year, not now.

60cm or Large frame would have been a better choice. There has been a number of threads here that discussed the sizing: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/sizing-2019-sduro-trekking-s-9-0-high-step.27114/

Haibikes do run large and one needs to be diligent while deciding on the size.

It's a fantastic bike for the money. It's 2018 model and before they ran out of inventory, they were on sale for $2750.
So you could ask your retailer about it.

If you can upgrade the
Seatpost : https://cirruscycles.com/products/kinekt-2-1-aluminum
pedals: https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers-Crankbrothers-Platform-Pedals/dp/B0077T6U6U
Tires: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod154936

You will have a versatile and very capable bike.

I am purchasing the L frame.it has a 60cm size as compared to the XL which is a 64cm size.The link that Ravi posted does not reference the XL frame, which is 64cm. Maybe discontinued for 2o19? I do not know.

Santa Barbara - near Ellings Park. If you went to Goleta, you probably did the ride along the beach at UCSB on the Obern Trail :) My wife takes that trail as her commute as she doesn't like to ride on Hollister. I ride on Hollister.

60cm or Large frame would have been a better choice. There has been a number of threads here that discussed the sizing: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/sizing-2019-sduro-trekking-s-9-0-high-step.27114/

Haibikes do run large and one needs to be diligent while deciding on the size.

It's a fantastic bike for the money. It's 2018 model and before they ran out of inventory, they were on sale for $2750.
So you could ask your retailer about it.

If you can upgrade the
Seatpost : https://cirruscycles.com/products/kinekt-2-1-aluminum
pedals: https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers-Crankbrothers-Platform-Pedals/dp/B0077T6U6U
Tires: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod154936

You will have a versatile and very capable bike.
I ended up getting the seat post and a different version of the pedals. The bike store had some made from military grade plastic. you would think they are metal they are so hard, but he said they take up some of the bumps etc. since they are plastic. they have spikes like the one you have. So far i love them. When i get new tires i'll be getting the ones you suggested so thank you.

Back