Diamondback Overdrive EXC with TranzX Mid-Motor

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Any thoughts, opinions on this bike? TranzX motor? My initial thought was the cost at $3300, it might be better to go with a Shimano STEPS or Bosch bike for similar pricing +/-, Bosch being a little higher and STEPS about the same. Also the battery could have more capacity for it's footprint. I like the overall bike though.

http://electricbikereview.com/diamondback/overdrive-exc/

I have only seen Court's reviews on this and noted the "clanking" that seems inherent as the gear shifting and pedaling take place. This is the same as the Raleigh eBike I believe and it's true retail is less than that at REI

WOW Vern, Performance has a very good price on these right now! Sub-$2k.

This is why I thought Koben S was not a great deal once it touched $1.9K

Diamondback Overdrive (29er) is a big brother of Izip E3 Peak (650B) with almost identical specs.

Seems like a good bike at a great price. I would want to get a feel for the production date and the nature of the dealer. They say 2015 so you would think this is very fresh stock. Some of those in the industry of selling bikes don't realize that the batteries of eBikes should not just sit around in the boxes. My dealer has a man whose primary mission is to ensure batteries stay fresh and on a charge cycle prior to sale. This is a huge differentiator of someone in the business of selling all bikes and in the business of selling ebikes. I would not shy away if it was a relatively recent production run. As you very well know, the battery is one of highest % single components of the bike, so that good deal can go to the bucket with a less than adequate battery warranty. The manufacturer of that bike is a top notch player in the industry, I believe and has multiple brand offerings with similar SKU's, different branding to Ravi's point.

Last edited:
I'd hoped to hear something more on the TransX. There isn't a lot on this bike yet, decent spec's though and nice looking. I'm looking for my next ebike and that won't happen until I see what comes to the US at Interbike. Since posting this thread and considering the Koben, I've actually moved further away from a mid-drive, not closer.

I often walk around my local performance bike store and check this thing out. It seems like one heck of a bike and a great deal right now. However, it is an entry level mid drive and there some drawbacks. I would like to test drive one, but haven't yet. I'm not really in the market for another ebike, yet....Besides Performance doesn't exactly encourage test rides. They have one ebike hooked up to a trainer and they let you hop on that. Not exactly what a person needs to do to make a purchase decision. At least that's how they roll at my store.

Vern,
Sounds like eBikes are an afterthought for Performance or the liability insurance has their hands tied hence the "training rides". In CA you must have a plethora of dealers to choose from. My dealer in the midwest ships nationwide if you need other options and is truly in the business versus an afterthought mentality. When you transition to the buying phase it may warrant a conversation.

It sure is fun to watch this industry evolve right before our eyes, isn't it!

Not in the market myself but i always enjoy looking. If I really wanted to ride one I could probably talk the people at Performance into letting me. Or better yet, in So Cal, there is a place called Myron's Extreme Machines. This place is great. I drive by performance on my way home, but Myron's is 30min away.
The Diamondback looks really nice! But I'm in the BH camp all the way.

I would likely take a chance with this bike, except for the tiny 8.8ah battery. I need a bike that will do 40 miles and want 50, not 25. On a 15F morning you'd be lucky to get 20. There's no point in me even test riding this build, I'd probably like it, but the range kills it. It is pretty though.

Not in the market myself but i always enjoy looking. If I really wanted to ride one I could probably talk the people at Performance into letting me. Or better yet, in So Cal, there is a place called Myron's Extreme Machines. This place is great. I drive by performance on my way home, but Myron's is 30min away.
The Diamondback looks really nice! But I'm in the BH camp all the way.
I had a chance to ride the Easy Motion Nitro last weekend and it was a very sweet and fast ride. They do make nice stuff for sure.

This is a quick review of the Diamondback Overdrive EXC electric bike from a newb’s perspective. I’m new to ebikes and have only had a limited time test-riding various mid-drive bikes currently available, so you may take that into consideration. I’ve test-ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE, the 2014 iZip Peak, and Haibike Xduro RX 29er and the Haibike Xduro Treckking RX and these are the bikes that I would use as a reference.

Right off the bat, the Diamondback feels a lot like the iZip Peak. In fact, as far as the e-power components go, I’m guessing the two bikes are identical as some of you have mentioned. They appear to have the same controls and display. The Diamondback Overdrive EXC is based on the Diamondback Overdrive line of mountain bikes, which seems to be a popular, well regarded “value” line. Without power assist, the Overdrive handles well and feels like a good balance between maneuverability and straight line stability. I like the hydraulic brakes. Shifting between gears is fine – on par with other bicycles in the $500 price range.

With the assist turned on, it takes about a second for the power to kick in when you start to pedal, but when it does come on, especially in the highest assist mode, you really feel it. Compared to the Haibikes and the Raleigh, it feels more powerful, though it may just be that the TranzX system doesn’t modulate the power as well. On the other hand, the Haibikes and Raleigh are much quicker to respond to pedal input. I could see how the delay could be seen as either bothersome or as a kind of feature. You won’t dart off from the unexpected rush of power, but if you need the power “right now” you may feel let down a bit.

I’ve read how shifting on the TranzX powered bikes can cause gear mashing, but I found that if I just stopped pedaling for a moment, shifting was as smooth as a non-motorized bike. But the Raleigh and the Haibikes definitely have the edge here since you don’t have to really think about how you shift. You just do it. This is especially true of the Raleigh which has an electronic shift system that is butter smooth. To shift the Raleigh, you press a button on the right side of the handlebar. It also shifts to a lower gear automatically when you come to a stop. That’s convenient!

Despite the rough edges, I like the Overdrive EXC especially considering that you can find it at a discount from Performance Bicycles and REI. It is one of the least expensive mid-drive bikes available when purchased from these sources. In addition, this bike will provide power assist up to 28 mph. It isn’t as smooth as the Haibikes and the Raleigh, nor does it have some of the nicer features like the removable display on the Haibike or the slick shifting of the Raleigh, but the price difference may make it worthwhile trade-off. Plus, the Overdrive EXC includes a throttle which will get you moving up to 6 mph without pedaling. The Throttle can also provide extra power while pedaling with assist for speeds up to 20 mph.

The other thing to consider is that the Haibikes and the Raleigh I tested only assist up to 20 mph. I understand that you can pedal without assist beyond the 20 mph limit but I found that the loss of power assist at 20 mph was annoying. Just when things are getting interesting, the assist disappears. I may not ride at speeds above 20 mph all that often, but I’d like to have that capability when I need it.

Last edited:
Wow am I seeing that price right, $2k plus thirty percent back for their club members? Even at $2k that looks like an interesting proposition!

This is a seriously tempting deal. I see that Performance has run out of this bike in the Medium size which, for me, leaves REI as a source. It's $2,899 at REI with an approximated $289 member rebate. Not as good a deal, but still less than the iZip equivalent.

This is a quick review of the Diamondback Overdrive EXC electric bike from a newb’s perspective. I’m new to ebikes and have only had a limited time test-riding various mid-drive bikes currently available, so you may take that into consideration. I’ve test-ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE, the 2014 iZip Peak, and Haibike Xduro RX 29er and the Haibike Xduro Treckking RX and these are the bikes that I would use as a reference.

Right off the bat, the Diamondback feels a lot like the iZip Peak. In fact, as far as the e-power components go, I’m guessing the two bikes are identical as some of you have mentioned. They appear to have the same controls and display. The Diamondback Overdrive EXC is based on the Diamondback Overdrive line of mountain bikes, which seems to be a popular, well regarded “value” line. Without power assist, the Overdrive handles well and feels like a good balance between maneuverability and straight line stability. I like the hydraulic brakes. Shifting between gears is fine – on par with other bicycles in the $500 price range.

With the assist turned on, it takes about a second for the power to kick in when you start to pedal, but when it does come on, especially in the highest assist mode, you really feel it. Compared to the Haibikes and the Raleigh, it feels more powerful, though it may just be that the TranzX system doesn’t modulate the power as well. On the other hand, the Haibikes and Raleigh are much quicker to respond to pedal input. I could see how the delay could be seen as either bothersome or as a kind of feature. You won’t dart off from the unexpected rush of power, but if you need the power “right now” you may feel let down a bit.

I’ve read how shifting on the TranzX powered bikes can cause gear mashing, but I found that if I just stopped pedaling for a moment, shifting was as smooth as a non-motorized bike. But the Raleigh and the Haibikes definitely have the edge here since you don’t have to really think about how you shift. You just do it. This is especially true of the Raleigh which has an electronic shift system that is butter smooth. To shift the Raleigh, you press a button on the right side of the handlebar. It also shifts to a lower gear automatically when you come to a stop. That’s convenient!

Despite the rough edges, I like the Overdrive EXC especially considering that you can find it at a discount from Performance Bicycles and REI. It is one of the least expensive mid-drive bikes available when purchased from these sources. In addition, this bike will provide power assist up to 28 mph. It isn’t as smooth as the Haibikes and the Raleigh, nor does it have some of the nicer features like the removable display on the Haibike or the slick shifting of the Raleigh, but the price difference may make it worthwhile trade-off. Plus, the Overdrive EXC includes a throttle which will get you moving up to 6 mph without pedaling. The Throttle can also provide extra power while pedaling with assist for speeds up to 20 mph.

The other thing to consider is that the Haibikes and the Raleigh I tested only assist up to 20 mph. I understand that you can pedal without assist beyond the 20 mph limit but I found that the loss of power assist at 20 mph was annoying. Just when things are getting interesting, the assist disappears. I may not ride at speeds above 20 mph all that often, but I’d like to have that capability when I need it.
Very nice review, Good job!

Thanks GW Shark. I have to admit that I have my own biases. First of all, I'm a cheap S.O.B. Secondly, I want my 28 mph! :)

Back