Derestrict your Bosch/Trek e-bike?

I've thought about this, still never have done anything, still a bit apprehensive as to killing something (not me) or negative anything.
Has ANYONE done ANY of these modifications at all, ever and have anything to report, advise or comment on?
see: https://www.ebiketuning.com

I've thought about this, still never have done anything, still a bit apprehensive as to killing something (not me) or negative anything.
Has ANYONE done ANY of these modifications at all, ever and have anything to report, advise or comment on?
I have had the bikespeed rs installed on my Super Commuter since day one and now have 21,000 miles with no motor problems.

http://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html

I bought the PearTune MSO from Ebay for the wife's Haibike Sduro Yamaha PW motor and I have only nice things to say about it. Everything works as before except the speed limit is removed. You can enable/disable it by pushing the walk button which in the US does nothing. They make one for Bosch too but first check with them via email with your specific make and model:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112170845740

I bought the PearTune MSO from Ebay for the wife's Haibike Sduro Yamaha PW motor and I have only nice things to say about it. Everything works as before except the speed limit is removed. You can enable/disable it by pushing the walk button which in the US does nothing. They make one for Bosch too but first check with them via email with your specific make and model:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112170845740
I have the bad ass installed on a Trek Powerfly and the only issue is the speed display is halved. A Garmin displays the real speed. Easy install and removal.

I too added the badassBox 4 Bosch to my Powerfly 5. I had to buy it from a guy in Australia via eBay to get it shipped her to the US. Super simple and it worked. I wanted the Police Version of the Powerfly 5 that is a class three. My Powerfly as a commuter was cutting out at 18.5 mph on the roads and that was frustrating. I always ride with a Garmin so the half speed is not a problem. I was confused for a few rides on my range, but then I remembered that the range was also halved. If it says I have five miles left then I know i have ten.

For EU Onwers:

Bosch have the software (of which there is no legal requirement) in certain updates to detect changes in their motors which, if a dealer reports it, will Invalidate the warranty - obviously

Riding with a de-restrict tool over the EU 15.5kph / UK 16kph when your not on private land is breaking the law and can lead to prosecution

There are certain websites particular in germany, and online videos that compares various de-restrict tools, their limitations and modifications varying from 3 minutes to 40 minutes modifcation and none (for Bosch) are under €100

I spoke recentrly with a mechanic and he said that the last update recognizes up to 15 different tuning tools.

So the natural idea I had is to find the tuning tool the software doesnt know yet..

I too added the badassBox 4 Bosch to my Powerfly 5. I had to buy it from a guy in Australia via eBay to get it shipped her to the US. Super simple and it worked. I wanted the Police Version of the Powerfly 5 that is a class three. My Powerfly as a commuter was cutting out at 18.5 mph on the roads and that was frustrating. I always ride with a Garmin so the half speed is not a problem. I was confused for a few rides on my range, but then I remembered that the range was also halved. If it says I have five miles left then I know i have ten.
I was always a big fan of the Police bike and was in the midst of the order process when Trek came back and told me that they cannot sell this bike to civilians, (it has to be someone in law enforcement). The BadassBox I believe is a great idea due to easy on/off removal. Very pricey, however, I am now seeing delimiters on Ebay for a lot less from a company in Germany that will indeed ship to the USA.

Is the only negative result of Bosch’s delimiter detection capability on its new firmware updates the fact that it will invalidate the warranty?

I read somewhere that if you reinstall the delimiter one or two more times after detection, the firmware will turn your motor into a brick...permanently. You gotta love a company that does that!

Have you taken your bike in for service? Any issues with updates?
I do not do any updates, there is no reason.
My shop installed the dongle and do all of my service which has included new chains, cassettes, front chainring, new wheels, brake pads and rotors.
No motor problems, although the battery life is slightly less than when new. I carry two extras with me so it is a non issue.
Current stats as of today:

Whats a typical ride like with this setup? Curious about fastest speed reached compared to the stock setup and overall any insight into usage.
This is a link to a ride I did with a friend also on an ebike.

This is a link to my usual weekday ride with road bike buddies.

The reason for the dongle is not that I am exceeding 28 mph in the flats but that in those instances when the group I ride with is pushing 30+ in the downhills I don't want to get dropped. Most rides my average speed is 16-17 mph for 60 miles.

Last edited:
Is the only negative result of Bosch’s delimiter detection capability on its new firmware updates the fact that it will invalidate the warranty?

I read somewhere that if you reinstall the delimiter one or two more times after detection, the firmware will turn your motor into a brick...permanently. You gotta love a company that does that!

Certainly does not make me feel warm and fuzzy purchasing a Bosch motor at all. I'll stick with the other leading competitors hoping that they don't all follow suit. Bricking the motor seems a bit extreme. Making a bike unusable really makes me feel like they are playing the consumer and just is bad for business. If I purchase any vehicle, gas, electric or otherwise, I should be free to do what I please with it. Just void the warranty, but don't brick the motor! Cheesh!

Back