Derestrict your Bosch/Trek e-bike?

GuruUno

I'm not looking for a hand slapping or praise.
I'm attempting to find out how to make the US version of Trek e-Bikes (Super Commuter 8+ for this instance) use these available "speed chip" kits on my Trek e-bike.
I know, I know, I know all the pluses and minuses, but because the bike will be 1 year old, any manufacturers warranty would no longer be of a concern.
I't not about being a speed racer, but it's about maxing out at top speed while peddling uphill and being cut off at 28 MPH, that is all.
If it was adjustable, 35 would be fine.
Anyway, these 'tuning devices' state "USA Versions not available", simply because the firmware has 'blocked out' the ability to have the bike put into "walk mode" (the USA versions of Trek e-bikes do not have that function programmed in), which it he first question, how to do that?
Finally, anyone done this yet, here or in UK or in Europe, and the feedback is? Was it worth it, would you do it again, and has anyone in the US done it?

My 2018 +8S came with walk mode enabled. Maybe call up your local trek dealer and try to update to the latest firmware. Also ask them if they can change any settings, I read somewhere that dealers can change the headlight behavior and enable/disable walk mode with their update software on a compatible firmware.

Really? Are you in the US? I’m having second thoughts until the 2 year warranty is up.
But walk mode is nice.
Just turned 3100 miles and my motor is beginning to make funny noises so I’m not gonna do anything that might jeopardize anything.
Actually considering the 9S if it was only able to be obtained in the US.

I live in Nevada, USA, just got my bike a few weeks ago, it definitely has walk mode. I've used it a few times to help me walk it up the stairs after a tiring ride.

It might be as simple as a software update from your local trek dealer. I would at least give one a call and ask about software and settings updates.

My Trek dealer told me I could come in for software updates anytime, so if this is as simple as an update and a settings change I don't see why your trek dealer wouldn't do it. When I picked up my bike from the dealer I had walk mode.

I'm not looking for a hand slapping or praise.
I'm attempting to find out how to make the US version of Trek e-Bikes (Super Commuter 8+ for this instance) use these available "speed chip" kits on my Trek e-bike.
I know, I know, I know all the pluses and minuses, but because the bike will be 1 year old, any manufacturers warranty would no longer be of a concern.
I't not about being a speed racer, but it's about maxing out at top speed while peddling uphill and being cut off at 28 MPH, that is all.
If it was adjustable, 35 would be fine.
Anyway, these 'tuning devices' state "USA Versions not available", simply because the firmware has 'blocked out' the ability to have the bike put into "walk mode" (the USA versions of Trek e-bikes do not have that function programmed in), which it he first question, how to do that?
Finally, anyone done this yet, here or in UK or in Europe, and the feedback is? Was it worth it, would you do it again, and has anyone in the US done it?
I have Super Commuter 8+and it has had the bikespeed RS installed since day 1. The bike has 18,000 miles on it and I have had zero motor problems. The Purion reads the correct speed and the motor continues to assist as long as I can pedal. I changed the front chainring to an after market 22 tooth cog, which is the equivalent of a 55 on a road bike and the rear cassette is 11x42, a really good range. The walk mode on my bike is not enabled.
The company selling the tuner is in Germany and they sell to the US. My bike mechanic installed it for me.
Here is a link to the company: https://www.shop.bikespeed.de/ShopStart.aspx?l=EN

My Trek dealer told me I could come in for software updates anytime, so if this is as simple as an update and a settings change I don't see why your trek dealer wouldn't do it. When I picked up my bike from the dealer I had walk mode.
My dealer update acted my software but it still doesn’t have walk support. He called Treck and was told the walk mode only worked on bikes that had th 20 mph restriction. I have a Trek 7000

I just got walk mode enabled and the light switch is now working. It took my local Trek dealer a day or two to figure out the software update. I was probably the first customer to request the update at this shop. This is on a Trek Verve though.

If the dongle is just manipulating speed sensor input there is no way for it to damage your system since it can not run out of spec, power/ cadence wise. However since Bikespeed rs like dongles try to output the correct speed it may be easier to detect them.

That being said if you have a dealer friend I would be curious to see if they can simply adjust the wheel circumference , make it significantly smaller, so that you effectively have the same de-restriction. (Bosch prevents the user from changing this value more than %5).

In terms of walk mode I think a dealer can enable/disable that button via diagnostic tool.

I was looking for the BadAss box, however, 'etuning' located in Germany stated that due to liability issues, they will not ship to the USA. I like this model because installation takes less than a couple of minutes. I also looked on ebay, and did not find anything there...

I have a brand-new Bikespeed-RS. I bought it last year but haven't used it.
https://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html

It's one of the good ones that doesn't mess up the speed readings. So, if anyone is interested , I am happy to sell it and provide more info/pictures.
All bikes have 28mph drives. I was thinking of converting a 20mph CX drive but haven't had the opportunity do so.

I just got walk mode enabled and the light switch is now working. It took my local Trek dealer a day or two to figure out the software update. I was probably the first customer to request the update at this shop. This is on a Trek Verve though.

Don't get lights enabled until you fit lights or check wiring. My powerfly 7 came with light wires fitted and ends stripped, leaving bare wires floating around inside frame. I discovered this after enabling lights, luckily they didn't short.
If I'd checked first wouldn't have bought bosch wires with lights.

I don’t want to rain on this parade, but I did want to mention that the new Bosch diagnostic software can detect tuning and it might eventually prevent the motor for being capable of working with a tuning device.

I believe Bosch is legally required in the EU to implement these changes. Just figured this could be helpful to know.

I don’t want to rain on this parade, but I did want to mention that the new Bosch diagnostic software can detect tuning and it might eventually prevent the motor for being capable of working with a tuning device.

I believe Bosch is legally required in the EU to implement these changes. Just figured this could be helpful to know.

Chris, I can't imagine Bosch would be party to any modification of their ebike drive systems enablement to exceed state or federal speed limits; here in the US or in the EU. No way, not after they paid hefty fines stemming from the VW diesel-gate scandal, which eventually wound up even affecting Fiat Chrysler years later. Having grown the ebike revolution, starting in Europe and spreading to here in the US, they are not going to risk another similar scandal within the ebike industry in regards to breaking speed limits set for these bikes.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/germany-probes-bosch-employees-over-emissions-scandal-1517407752

https://www.thelocal.de/20170201/bosch-to-pay-out-3275-mn-over-dieselgate-emissions-scandal

It’s a tricky thing for sure. I just want people to be aware of the current status and what the future might look like.

Chris, I can't imagine Bosch would be party to any modification of their ebike drive systems enablement to exceed state or federal speed limits; here in the US or in the EU. No way, not after they paid hefty fines stemming from the VW diesel-gate scandal, which eventually wound up even affecting Fiat Chrysler years later. Having grown the ebike revolution, starting in Europe and spreading to here in the US, they are not going to risk another similar scandal within the ebike industry in regards to breaking speed limits set for these bikes.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/germany-probes-bosch-employees-over-emissions-scandal-1517407752

https://www.thelocal.de/20170201/bosch-to-pay-out-3275-mn-over-dieselgate-emissions-scandal

Speed derestriction has nothing to do with this scandal.
I don't think any manufacturer can be held responsible when a 3rd party modifies the hardware. The problem is the manufacturer , VW, itself tempered with the monitoring device to bypass the regulations. It is claimed that Bosch actually helped VW in doing doing so.

The speed limiter is an entirely different issue since it is not illegal to ride over 20mph everywhere. So why is there a speed limitation in support if I take the bicycle to a private property or ride it on the road? Companies like Bosch, Yamaha etc. seems to be using this as an excuse to price discriminate. You pay a premium when the Bosch motor is derestricted to 28mph. Bosch cx is limited to 15mph in EU and exact same motor is limited to 20 mph here in the states yet if you bring your bike from EU you can not update the firmware to change the limit to the 20mph.

Back