Derailleur Cage Size

bellandbottle

Region
United Kingdom
I've had a bit of trouble changing gears, and have been checking everything out and giving it a good clean.

I have an XT Shadow + GS - now that I have a 44T chainwheel, should I be looking at an SGS cage?

The Shimano documentation seems to indicate this - if I am reading it correctly that is.

I should say that I've had half an eye on this derailleur since I bought the bike because it had a few marks on it, but the discount I had was very significant, so I mentally priced a replacement in.

If I buy a new one, I don't know if it should it be a GS or SGS cage.

What cage do the 48T Vados have?

My Vado 5 has a Shimano XT Shadow + derailleur with the GS cage, 11-42t cassette. I have the 48t chainring.

When you say 'chainwheel' I assume you're referring to what we in the States call the cassette? Did you need to lengthen the chain when you changed your cassette? I'd expect that you'd need to add a link. Other than that I think @JRA is correct, adjusting the B screw to get good clearance with the new 44t cog should resolve your issue. If it can't be adjusted enough, go with the hanger extension or an extended cage derailleur (more $$).

My Vado 5 has a Shimano XT Shadow + derailleur with the GS cage, 11-42t cassette. I have the 48t chainring.

When you say 'chainwheel' I assume you're referring to what we in the States call the cassette? Did you need to lengthen the chain when you changed your cassette? I'd expect that you'd need to add a link. Other than that I think @JRA is correct, adjusting the B screw to get good clearance with the new 44t cog should resolve your issue. If it can't be adjusted enough, go with the hanger extension or an extended cage derailleur (more $$).

Sorry about that - my chainring is 44T and I have the 11-42 cassette.

Thanks for the information about your set-up with the GS cage - much appreciated :).

I will see how my run goes tomorrow before making any decisions - I may be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sorry about that - my chainring is 44T and I have the 11-42 cassette.

Thanks for the information about your set-up with the GS cage - much appreciated :).

I will see how my run goes tomorrow before making any decisions - I may be making a mountain out of a molehill.
So, you changed from a 40t to a 44t chainring? This shouldn't impact the derailleur, expect if the chain is now too short. Adjusting the derailleur or getting an extended cage version won't fix this. For reference my
Vado has a 120 link chain. 116 links is more common.

This Park tool video is a good guide to getting the right chain length,

So, you changed from a 40t to a 44t chainring? This shouldn't impact the derailleur, expect if the chain is now too short. Adjusting the derailleur or getting an extended cage version won't fix this. For reference my
Vado has a 120 link chain. 116 links is more common.

This Park tool video is a good guide to getting the right chain length,

When I fitted the chain, I did the largest cog on the cassette to chainring wrap round - plus two. I was left with 16 links of the 138 link chain (Shimano E8000) I sourced, which means I now have 122 - plus the "missing link", and I think that is about right.

I am a bit concerned that my derailleur is a bit twisted, which is why I was contemplating buying a replacement, but wanted to be sure I was buying the correct one.

When I fitted the chain, I did the largest cog on the cassette to chainring wrap round - plus two. I was left with 16 links of the 138 link chain (Shimano E8000) I sourced, which means I now have 122 - plus the "missing link", and I think that is about right.

I am a bit concerned that my derailleur is a bit twisted, which is why I was contemplating buying a replacement, but wanted to be sure I was buying the correct one.
Got it! The GS cage should work.

Good luck.

These work just fine and are cheaper than a new derailleur: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink#loaded

Adjust your b tension screw so that the upper jockey wheel just misses the largest, in your case 44t cog.

I'd heavily advise against using these on any bike especially an e bike that doesn't cut power when shifting. Do they "work?" Sure, but they can also flex and send the derailleur into the spokes and rip it off too. Everyone has different experiences, only offering mine.

The GS is the one to go with for the question at hand, sounds like you already had your question answered above, good luck!

I fitted the replacement mech today, and am still having a bit of a problem regarding inconsistent shifting. Having watched a few youtube videos, and triple checked the setting up of hi, lo and B screws, I decided to take a pace back and sight the mech from the rear. There is no doubt that the mech is not sitting parallel to the wheel - it is tilted in a bit.

To me that says that the hanger is not straight, which probable ties up with the fact that I came off about 3 weeks ago, but there was no obvious damage, apart from my elbox :(.

Is this a Specialized proprietary part?

I fitted the replacement mech today, and am still having a bit of a problem regarding inconsistent shifting. Having watched a few youtube videos, and triple checked the setting up of hi, lo and B screws, I decided to take a pace back and sight the mech from the rear. There is no doubt that the mech is not sitting parallel to the wheel - it is tilted in a bit.

To me that says that the hanger is not straight, which probable ties up with the fact that I came off about 3 weeks ago, but there was no obvious damage, apart from my elbox :(.

Is this a Specialized proprietary part?
Specialized does like proprietary parts...😖 I'd suggest you Google your specific model for "derailleur hanger".

Specialized does like proprietary parts...😖 I'd suggest you Google your specific model for "derailleur hanger".

Faced with trying to track down this part (after several attempts), judicial use of a long adjustable straightened it out.

Everything is working well now, phew :).

As mentioned elsewhere, the difficulty in finding proprietary parts is a bit of a concern, certainly without a parts list, but all is well that ends well in this case.

What bike do you have?

2020 Como derailleur hanger, p/n
S172600003
Same for the Vado and I suspect your bike too.

What bike do you have?

2020 Como derailleur hanger, p/n
S172600003
Same for the Vado and I suspect your bike too.

I have a 2019 Vado 4, bought in 2020. I should have mentioned that in my original post, and have made a mental note to do that in future.

I did manage to find a part PILO D738 which is available on Amazon, and others, which says it is compatible with the S172600003 catalogue number.

I did not think it was the correct shape, but I will check again when I come back from a morning test ride - checking my workmanship :oops:.

Do you have access to a Specialized parts catalogue? I have checked a few times to see if a copy is available but no luck so far.

I do on the dealer side. Any Specialized shop should have that hanger available or maybe in stock. There's plenty of quantity on hand nationwide for ya.

I do on the dealer side. Any Specialized shop should have that hanger available or maybe in stock. There's plenty of quantity on hand nationwide for ya.

I have checked, and that is indeed the correct shaped part - which is good news.

Many thanks for your help.

The 20 mile test ride with minor hills was fine, which is a relief :).

Back