Denver, CO, rebates

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
BRAIN report on the City of Denver, CO, e-bike Climate Action Rebate program offering $400-$1200 rebates off new Class 1-3 ebike purchases, $900 off cargo ebikes, when purchased from one of nine participating bike shops.

Last edited:
Wow. Impressive results. Working with both bike rebates and bike infrastructure really is what it will take. It wasn't that many years ago that Amsterdam was as car centric as any US big city, so it's doable.

I highly recommend NOT ordering from Fatte Bikes. I ordered in May, with no sign of the bike, just 2 days from November. They whisper sweet nothings in your ear, tell you "It's almost finished!" and "It's on its way to you!" LOL. Biggest scammers out there. They should be removed from the available ebike vendors in Denver for the rebate program. The worst customer "service" I've experienced in my entire life. Bike is apparently lost in transport or.... I don't know. It's vanished into thin air and calls and emails go ignored. I guess small claims court is next.

So do they see less cars on the road now?
I think it's a great initiative, but I'm wondering about how much of a difference it made.
Do those people still ride ebikes instead of cars?
I know for me, I will rie an ebike to an area I know will be difficult to park in, or use it to tool around where I don't need a car to transport the big dog or work "stuff." I'll ride it to a festival, to run small errands, but I don't know yet that I'd get rid of my car. I drive across the country to visit family. (In some states, bike theft is so rampant that I wouldn't take my bike to do ANY of the above, simply because i wouldn't be able to take my eyes off it for even a single minute without it being stolen. Thankfully, I just moved from one of those places.) I like to live close to amenities, so I don't live in the 'burbs.

That’s great, someone in the comments mentioned a follow up article in the Denverite that reported 70% of the rebates went to income qualified residents, as the program intended. Lots of people pointing out the infrastructure investments Denver made that enable safer ebike commuting. All very encouraging.

Wow. Impressive results. Working with both bike rebates and bike infrastructure really is what it will take. It wasn't that many years ago that Amsterdam was as car centric as any US big city, so it's doable.

Infrastructure is the big one for me. I don't need a rebate. But I do need a safe place to ride.

The Denver metro has some of the best bike infrastructure in the nation, but if we delete painted bike paths in the road (which I refuse to ride), you're still pretty limited to where you can go without riding sidewalks, grass, ditches, etc and constantly crossing streets. Build it and they will come :)

As of yesterday April 1, 2024 all Colorado residents can now get a $450 discount off the purchase of a new UL-certified Class 1-3 ebike from a participating retailer, details: https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/ebike-tax-credit
Note: not all bike shops are participating retailers, there is some tweaking needed because the current plan requires the shop to pay the $450 then later at the end of the tax year apply for tax rebates to cover the cost, and many bike shops cannot carry that debt for up to a year.

Back