Dengfu E06 Reimagined

Surly

Region
Other
At the end of 2021, after an epic summer and a hard autumn, i decided to retire the paint job on my E06, it was a feeling that had been niggling at me for a while; everytime i surrupticiously glanced at her i couldn't help but wonder what might have been had i not been in a rush to paint her and ride her. Although the black had served it's purpose well, lots of microscratches were starting to dull the shine, sure i could've just buffed it and it would be good as new, i just couldn't shake the notion that i was riding Darth Vaders ebike.
On a bridge.jpg
On the leeside.jpg
Bike resting.jpg
I started playing around with ideas in photoshop and soon settled on a palette of red and black. I also knew i wanted this paint job to be one of a kind, one of one in the world, so i delved into FX paints and techniques, what follows is the result of that journey.

This isn't meant as a tutorial, it is a brief overview of the methods employed to achieve the result i wanted.

If this paint job was to have a moniker it would be a colour shifting ice fx candy black/red fade. (first time it''s been done.)

The first rule of any paint job is preperation, preperation, preperation and for a respray this is more vital. As i knew the adhesion primer and primer filler were solid all i had to do was remove the black paint, this took forever.....
Once i was down to the grey/blue primer and it was suitably smooth i began the process of creating the 'IceFX' underlayer, the first part is to paint a layer of silver paint, it is the silver layer under candy coats that makes them pop, the light hits it and reflects back through the candy paint (candy paint is completely transparent.)
Silver.jpg
IceFX.jpg
The next step was applying the 'IceFX' - AKA Mutant Crystalz (you can DIY the formula using urea). IceFX is basically a 'liquid mask', you spray it on,leave it and ice crystal patterns form.
The next step is to lightly spray a black layer over the IceFX, this is the contrast layer.
Contrast.jpg
part rubbed.jpg
Now the black contrast layer is gently wiped off with a soft scouring pad, the picture on the left is partially done.
This part is almost finished there are a few dark patches that need gently rubbing but its almost there.
Rubbed.jpg

Fade1.jpg
Next are the layers of candy, this colour is called Trinidad Scorpion, if you look at the pic you will notice the IceFX underneath.

The fade to black was the next step, the subsequent step i have no pics of but this was the branding of the bike. 'Exodus' was stenciled on using a 'Prism' paint, this paint is silver but flashes rainbow like when hit by the sun.
Fade2.jpg
Clearcoat1.jpg
Now is the clear coating stage, as you can see the clearcoat has transformed the dull paint layers into a beautiful, rich, deep effect.
I added candy black into the clearcoat, this gives it a colour shifting effect between red icefx and black
Clearcoat2.jpg

And this is how the paint job turned out.

Exodus 1.jpg
Exodus 2.jpg
This bike is really hard to photograph as the way it responds to light is abnormal, it seems to hinder camera sensors, these two pics capture the red to black shift quite well though.

It now comes to the most tedious and frustrating segment - waiting for parts to become available. I ended up waiting months for parts to turn up and a couple of times parts i had managed to source i ended up putting on my hardtail and then once again had to wait for those parts to become available again, until one day...........

comp.jpg

........ I had all the parts needed.

And this is what happened....

1.jpg
2.jpg
DJI_20220731_160015_9.jpg

Specs.

Cockpit

Hope Carbon Handlebars 800mm. Hope AM Stem. Ergon GA3 Grips.

DJI_20220731_161042_38.jpg

Eggrider Display. Wolf Tooth Light touch Dropper Remote.
DJI_20220731_160340_16.jpg
DJI_20220731_160359_17.jpg
SRAM X01 eMTB single click shifter.
DJI_20220731_160509_24.jpg
Magura MT8 Pro brakes with Wolf Tooth Matchmakers on both.
DJI_20220731_160421_19.jpg

Drivetrain and Motor

Bafang Ultra. SRAM X01 Deraileur, SRAM GX Cassette 10-52T, SRAM GX Chain, RaceFace 46T Chainring.

DJI_20220731_160906_34.jpg

Suspension

sus.jpg
Fox Float 185x50 (shim shuffled)
Manitou Mastadon Pro 140-160mm
Fr Sus.jpg

Wheelset

Hope Pro 4 Fatsno Hubs 150mm x 15mm Front 197mmx12mm Rear. WTB KOM Tough i40 Rims. Sapim Spokes. Rimpact EDH Tyre Inserts. Maxxis Minion DHF EXO+ 3C 29x3" Front Tyre, Maxxis Minion DHRII EXO+ 3C 29x3" Rear Tyre.. All run tubeless with Stans sealant and Peatys Chris King MKII Valves.

wheelset.jpg

Various Parts

Hope F20 Pedals, Hope Top and bottom cups, Nukeproof Horizon Saddle. Hope Seatpoost Clamp. Magura MDR-P rotors 180mm Front 203mm Rear.

Rockstop FrameGuard

DJI_20220731_161326_44.jpg

Need to make a brew after that.

Attachments

• DJI_20220731_160509_24.jpg
    DJI_20220731_160509_24.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 177
  • part rubbed.jpg
    part rubbed.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I should add that wheelset is her summer clogs she still has Halo Tundra wheels with 3.8 Surly Nate rear and Surly Bud 4.8 on the front.

Nice job.
When I received my first 26" bike for Christmas, guys rode red bikes and girls rode blue bikes. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end." Most recent bike purchase (2017), I was allowed to choose between hi-vis green and white. You see left what I bought. I spray some Rust-oleum on the scratches occasionally. I'm too busy mowing & cutting fallen trees on 24 acres & maintaining 2 houses these days to care a lot for my ride.

Nice job.
When I received my first 26" bike for Christmas, guys rode red bikes and girls rode blue bikes. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end." Most recent bike purchase (2017), I was allowed to choose between hi-vis green and white. You see left what I bought. I spray some Rust-oleum on the scratches occasionally. I'm too busy mowing & cutting fallen trees on 24 acres & maintaining 2 houses these days to care a lot for my ride.
I'm doing an ebike race at the end of the year, i can hardly be rocking up with my beater, looking like i just rode the 000's of miles there, wires hanging out all over the place ;D

Training Bike (beater)

1.jpg

Nicely done. Don't scratch it!
I'm not overly precious about dings etc usually, more in the mindset of s*it happens, but i do need to get her booked in to have PPF put on, preferably before i scratch her.

I have to say i'm quite enamoured by this configuration, i've not rode her on the trails yet but the riding i have done during the installation testing has been dreamy :D

Beautiful. I wanted to build two custom ones. But there's my thing with China carbon frames. I've built many (many many many) china carbon frames into bikes. Almost all have had issues. Cracked frame, broken rear triangle due to suspension allowing movement past design travel, squeaky rear brake resonance (two bikes), squeaky frame, cheap pivot designs, poor quality hardware, and just bad engineering of the suspension movement. I've built many (many many many) USA branded taiwan-vietmenese and even USA made carbon (ibis exie) and none...NONE have exhibited any problems the china carbon frames have. I'm done with china carbon. I LOVE the concept of the Dengfu EF6 (deng-po?), but I'll be doggoned if I'm going to spend my money and more importantly my TIME tio build another Chiner arbon bike - let alone a heavy ebike that puts additinal stress on all the very weak points of a china carbon frame i've experienced.

Back