Decision Time

Tutti57

I am looking to spend around $1500 on a commuter bike. I'm about 170lbs, 6', and my commute is 25-28 miles each way. I would charge at work. I live in Rochester NY and would ride year round, in the snow.

I'm looking at quite a range and see the benefits of each, but I feel like range is my main concern. I would be pedaling much more than throttling since part of the point of this is for some exercise.

I'm looking at the Volt Bike Mariner, Yukon 500 or 750, Rad Bikes Rover and Wagon.

With the distance of my commute and snow travel, what would you recommend. I'm open to other bikes as well but need it to be around $1500.

Thanks!

I just noticed that radbikes offers free shipping now, so I'm leaning toward their offerings now. I also see that the reviews I was looking at were outdated and their new line has some improvements.

Now I'm interested in input on my needs and their line up. How much better is a fat tire for snow commuting? I'm open to any of their bikes really.

More updates- forget the folding bike. I'm now having a hard time deciding between the radcity, Rover, and wagon. Probably more between the city and Rover. Some research showed me that the trails I'm going to do about 2/3 of my commute in do not have snow removal during the winter. I keep reading mixed reviews on fat tires in snow riding. I like that the city comes with the fenders and rack.

Would I be better off with the city and getting some studded tires for that or the river and adding the fenders and rack?

A 25+ mile ride in really snowy conditions could take as long as 2 hours as your average speed would be affected and your watt hour use increased decreasing your range over more optimal conditions. I hope you like to get up early and don't forget to budget for some good lighting!

In really snowy conditions it's taken me 4 hours to get to work driving. It takes 45 minutes to drive with typical traffic and if there is any significant snow, 1.5 hours isnt uncommon.

It seems like if I am planning to workout at some time in the day, the commute would be the most efficient use of that time.

I appreciate the reply. Let's stick to bike choices!

If you happen to already have a bike you really like, consider installing a kit. There are quite a few out there. I have a nice 1984 old-school Trek mountain bike (actually it was called "All Terrain" before the term mountain bike caught on) that I bought new which has a beautiful chromolly lugged frame with long chain stays. Prior to installing the EBO Burley kit, I "comfortized" the bike with smooth rolling balloon tires, upright Northroads handlebars, and a Brooks B67 saddle & Thudbuster, along with lights & full fenders. For me, this "old friend" is now a fantastic path and pavement bike and and it my go too ride when not doing dirt trails.
20160213_140257_zpsqvjgjdwj.jpg

I wish I did. My father in law has MS, so I rode in the MS bike tour for about five years, then had kids, stopped doing that and sold my road bike. I also had a cheap mountain bike that I gave to a young cousin to get around on.

I haven't put much thought into finding something used and adding a kit to it. 15 years of modifying cars lead me down the path of just buying something ready to go instead of fiddling with something to make it what you want it to be. I'm new to this though so I'm here to learn.

Back