Decals or Paint on an Aventure?

Ang1sgt

Region
USA
City
Rochester
Hi Folks,

I am retired USAF and I am getting into Fat Tire E-Bikes. One of the things I would like to do is to personalize my E-Bike with some
USAF type lettering and or decals. So my real question is this: Are the Aventon logos and such Paint or Decal and if Decal are they under
some sort of clear coat?

They seem to be painted on. For mine I didn't mind the logo's but I didn't like the yellow since I wanted to go with a black-and-red theme. What I ended up doing is going over the top tube with a candy red and then a clearcoat. Sadly I ended up with swirlies in the paint because like a dumbass I didn't test if the clear and candy would interact ahead of time.

For the seat stays I just put red reflective tape over them.

1662047846656.png
1662047930988.png

You can see the reflective tape is already peeling after just a year.

That's right after I did a swap to an 11-36 cassette last month. I did the chain, cranks and 53 tooth chainring roughly this time last year.

After I did a fork swap:
1662049311877.png

I added some metal spider badges to the fork, a skull with wings (representing a near death accident from back in '98), masked off the leading edge of the fender and added a red stripe.

Basically, I've done a lot to my aventure.

I actually need to do some paint touch-up on it now. Mostly when you tie it up against poles and trees their factory paint isn't as durable as it should be. Makes me wonder if it's single stage the way it's burned through in spots when I've babied it.

11 foxtrot here, when was your separation? Mine was March '91.
I'm also thinking on adding USAF badges and stickers too. I've already got skulls and spiders. I've even added a "Secret Jewish Space Laser Corps" pin to my bag. Mazel Tough! :D

I'm looking at sticker versions of things like the moral patch for my old squadron (18th FS), Gunslinger '88, 3000 hours, etc. I might just put all my real patches on the cut I've been wearing that has a back impact plate instead, since my tired old M1 has disintegrated into nothing.

You ever see the morale patch for the 18th out of Eielson? I almost want a censored three-piece of it, but afraid of stepping on the local MC's toes. Maybe if I get a 99% patch. :D (that's a joke)

1662048568340.png

Recently found out from a friend that's still in that my old outfit --which was kind-of a dumping ground for problem cases (I can own that) -- is now an aggressor squadron. Talk about stepping up in the world. You'd think they were thrown at the front-lines during two Gulf Wars.

Anywho, I look forward to see what you come up with for customizing yours. You get something as expensive as an e-bike, you've got to make it "yours"

I am going the decal route since I can always remove the stickers and start over if I get a new inspiration later. So far I have a couple of stickers on the fenders, one on the main triangle, and reflective stripes on the wheels (not a fan of reflectors.)

I took the picture below halfway through today’s 38 mile ride. (Not my normal ride; those are usually half the distance) I don’t have a plan for any additional decoration and will just add things if I like them and have the room on the bike.
48CF6F87-9D21-45EB-8C17-513C32F7223E.jpeg

I am going the decal route since I can always remove the stickers and start over if I get a new inspiration later. So far I have a couple of stickers on the fenders, one on the main triangle, and reflective stripes on the wheels (not a fan of reflectors.)

I took the picture below halfway through today’s 38 mile ride. (Not my normal ride; those are usually half the distance) I don’t have a plan for any additional decoration and will just add things if I like them and have the room on the bike.View attachment 136946
Nice ride!!!

I took the picture below halfway through today’s 38 mile ride. (Not my normal ride; those are usually half the distance) I don’t have a plan for any additional decoration and will just add things if I like them and have the room on the bike.View attachment 136946
Is that an extra battery pak velcroed below the crossbar?

Is that an extra battery pak velcroed below the crossbar?
That would be awesome if that was an extra battery, but it is just my toolkit bag. i could theoretically fix a flat on a ride since I have a wrench, multi tool, levers, patch repair kit, and CO2 canisters in there, but I dread the idea of having to do that. I have since added Tannus Armour inserts to both wheels so that becomes even less likely now.

Back