Dealing with rear wheel tire punctures

I have SCHWALBE Marathon Plus HS 440 Wire Tires sized 700 x 45mm for my Crosscurrent S. I'm still worried I will get a puncture and it seems like such a pain to remove the rear wheel. I heard of Gaadi Tubes that are designed to put directly on the wheel without taking the wheel off. But I can't find the right size. The largest one they have is 700 x 42mm. Does anyone use Gaadi Tubes for my sized tires? Are there any other tube/method that allows the tube to be installed without taking off the wheel with 700 x 45 mm tires?
The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires will be difficult to deal with if you don't remove the wheel from the bike. I just put a set of the same tires on my Trek non-ebike last weekend and I can't imagine trying to pop one side off in order to patch the tube and then pop it back on without being able to manhandle it off the bike. If you didn't install the Schwalbes yourself, review the steps in this YT video to become familiar with the process to make it easy. I also recommend the Schwalbe tire levers, and make sure you have cable ties and something to cut the ties off when you're done.

If you didn't install the Schwalbes yourself, review the steps in this YT video to become familiar with the process to make it easy.

The video is slightly misleading in that the wheel he is using as an example has a single-walled rim which indeed has a deeper channel in which the bead can sit in to help install the tire. A double-walled rim is not like that; there is no deeper channel. In addition to the Schwalbe tire levers, for installation of tight tires there is also the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack or the Bike Hand Tire Lever

The video is slightly misleading in that the wheel he is using as an example has a single-walled rim which indeed has a deeper channel in which the bead can sit in to help install the tire. A double-walled rim is not like that; there is no deeper channel. In addition to the Schwalbe tire levers, for installation of tight tires there is also the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack or the Bike Hand Tire Lever
I installed these on my double-walled Bontrager rims, and the method used in the video's instructions saved my thumbs.

I've got 3 sets of Schwalbes on my other bikes, They definitely go on very tight, but not that hard to loosen
once they've been ridden a while. Then too technique in using levers takes practice; after 60 years
I'm finally starting to get it down. :) A little shot of WD40 along the bead simplifies things.

Last edited:
My Haibike has the Schwalbe Energizer Tour Plus tire; basically the e-bike version of the Marathon. I'm actually considering switching to a more flat-prone tire. Why? The bike has a pretty rough ride, and it has a somewhat dead feel to it. I'm certain the weight and stiffness of the tires has a lot to do with my impressions. I know I can easily remove a pound of rotating weight with different tires too.

While dodging a car I ran over a broken bottle and it cut my rear Schwalbe. I had my wife come to pick the bike and I up and haul us home. After pulling the rear wheel off and digging the glass out of the tire I ended up replacing the tube (I like Schwalbe tubes better anyway) and put a patch/boot in the tire over the cut. I don't carry a lot of tools around when just running errands, but haul tools and an extra tube when on longer rides. Pulling the rear wheel off takes a while, but if you have the tools and take your time it isn't too bad a job. Might be a good idea to practice once or twice before the actual need arises though..

As an FYI, I found out that if you belong to AAA they will come out and get you and your bike home as part of your membership.

Thanks for the info about AAA. I am a AAA member and never would have thought about calling them to transport me and my disabled bike back to my house or vehicle.

Some flats can be prevented by inspecting the tires and removing any sharp bits that are worming their way deeper into the tire. I recommend doing this after each ride.

One month on Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700x35) and I've noticed the ride comfort is better than the Specialized Nimbus pair I had before, but they can get squirrely in a turn on wet pavement. No punctures in a year of commuting on the Nimbus, but apparently the Marathon Plus are no match for micro arrowheads.;)
1523841154334.png

One month on Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700x35) and I've noticed the ride comfort is better than the Specialized Nimbus pair I had before, but they can get squirrely in a turn on wet pavement. No punctures in a year of commuting on the Nimbus, but apparently the Marathon Plus are no match for micro arrowheads.;)
View attachment 20940

My Marathon Plus and tube were punctured by something very similar. When I left work and unlocked the bike, I had a flat. Of course it was in the rear. Before going through the trouble of changing the tube, I decided to try the 5 year old can of bike fix-a-flat that I carried. It worked like a charm for my approx 13 mile commute. I highly recommend anyone with panniers carrying a can. Worst case, you still end up changing or repairing the tube. Best case, you can just fill up and ride.

Anyone using Cush Core or similar products? Lots of etmb guys switching to the stuff on rear wheels. Seems especially useful if you have a hub motor.

I considering doing a tubeless conversion on the CCS. Has anyone else done this on a CCS, if so how'd it work out and what kit did you use? MTB do this for the flat protection and ability to run lower pressures without risk of pinch flats.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires will be difficult to deal with if you don't remove the wheel from the bike. I just put a set of the same tires on my Trek non-ebike last weekend and I can't imagine trying to pop one side off in order to patch the tube and then pop it back on without being able to manhandle it off the bike. If you didn't install the Schwalbes yourself, review the steps in this YT video to become familiar with the process to make it easy. I also recommend the Schwalbe tire levers, and make sure you have cable ties and something to cut the ties off when you're done.

The best way to overcome rear tire anxiety is to face it, head on.

In the comfort of your home, remove the rear wheel, remove the tire, using just the tools you think you will need. Then reinstall. Then you will know if your fear is well founded.

I did that on my Ultrabike and realized I needed different tools.. No problems after that.

The key is having quality tires and tubes. .I swear by Maxxis tires but there are others out there.

These alternates are just crutches that weigh you down.

The best way to overcome rear tire anxiety is to face it, head on.

In the comfort of your home, remove the rear wheel, remove the tire, using just the tools you think you will need. Then reinstall. Then you will know if your fear is well founded.

I did that on my Ultrabike and realized I needed different tools.. No problems after that.

The key is having quality tires and tubes. .I swear by Maxxis tires but there are others out there.

These alternates are just crutches that weigh you down.
While practicing, also go ahead and remove the zip tie closest to the rear derailleur. I replaced it with a black twist tie, so I don't have to carry snips in my pannier.

While practicing, also go ahead and remove the zip tie closest to the rear derailleur. I replaced it with a black twist tie, so I don't have to carry snips in my pannier.
Black twist ties are a must in every PC Tech's tool bag. Just something else they don't teach you in college.;)

J, I bought a Gaadi tube,couple weeks later it arrived. They sent the wrong size. A trick that works for me to simply use a tire lever on
one side to pull the tube out, patch it, & put it back without taking off the wheel. I used the same trick yesterday to put in a tire liner.

Don't you check the tire for a piece of glass or other sharp object? My last flat could only be seen with an inflated tube and soapy water. It was a very slow leak and looked more like a scuff compared to a puncture. I wanted to find the same scuff in the tire and probe around a little to make sure the tire was not still carrying the object. It was clean. I would have hated to do all that work with the tube and tire on the bike!

The best way to overcome rear tire anxiety is to face it, head on. In the comfort of your home, remove the rear wheel, remove the tire, using just the tools you think you will need. Then reinstall. Then you will know if your fear is well founded.

I’ve done it a few times in my living room. It’s not something I would ever want to do out in the field. It’s a pretty major pain even in the comfort of my living room. Fortunately I’ve never had a puncture while riding my CC. I’ve resigned myself to using Uber SUV if it does happen.

I know from my road bike days that it can be hard to find the object that punctured the tube. Especially in low light conditions. If you miss it there is a chance it will re-puncture the tube after you repair or replaced the tube and reinflate the tire. That has happened to me a few times.

Last edited:
So there are a couple of relatively easy viable options to fix a rear flat on a ride. Both are very similar.
1) Pull the rear tire off of one side of the wheel, while the wheel is still mounted to the bike. Pull the tube out of the wheel. Find and repair the hole in tube, check tire for puncturing object and remove. Replace tube in tire/wheel. Put tire back on wheel. Inflate and go.
2) Follow same above procedure, but instead of repairing tube, cut it in half and remove. Replace with a GAADI style tube, then inflate and go.

Back