DC DC converter - how to do test this ?

netrate

Region
Canada
Here is the pic of the converter I have removed from the bike. It is an older GIO - I don't know the model or year.
What works :
-The throttle, back wheel turns
-The batteries / charger
-The horn - barely, makes a quack (I have watched other videos and the horn sounds different on a bike that works, so I am not sure what the issue is).
-Full / empty display / speedometer
-manual brakes (front and back)

What doesn't work :
-Lights
-Brake Lights
-Directional signals
-high beam low beam
-lights switch on the right hand side of the steering column

Unknowns :
Power switch
high/low speed switch

At this point, I have not moved the escooter. It is just sitting on the kick stand. I was told by a technician that when lights go, it is usually the DC DC converter - so my question is how can I check? Is there something else I am missing that I could check? A picture of the converter is attached.

Attachments

• dc dc converter.jpg
    dc dc converter.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 219
Most people use a voltmeter to test whether a DC-DC converter is working. It's pretty hard otherwise.

Yeah I'm finding that testing the actual unit is beyond my simple knowledge of this thing. I suppose I could open it up and test that way but after testing the front signal right turn, it was outputting a voltage of 0.025. My guess is that is not very much. Going to test other lights today but I'm thinking I need a new one. But what do I look for when purchasing one?

I just ordered a new one today, this way I can start eliminating possibilities. If it works, than great - if it doesn't. More research has to be done.

Back