Daytime Running Light(s)

Jim1348

I bought my wife and I a pair of Gazelle Ultimate C380+ recently. We generally use our lights in the daytime, but I am considering some additional lighting and running it in the daytime.

So, for those here using daytime running lights, do you use a dedicated bicycle light or do you mount a flashlight to your bike?

I have eyed up the Fenix BC30 V2.0 Bike light.

I also have a few flashlight around that are pretty bright. With a suitable mount, maybe a Streamlight Stinger LED would work out for me.

Also, do you simply run your light "steady burn" or some sort of strobe/flash pattern?

Finally, for an additional taillight, is the Planet Bike Superflash 65R USB like tail light a decent light?

Check out the Cygolite Metro Plus 800. Headlight and tail light combo. For daytime I use a flashing mode with the headlight and during low light conditions I use a steady light. I use the flashing tailight during the daytime and a pulsing mode in low light. Full dark I use a steady light for both headlight and taillight.

I’ll second the Cygolite recommendation. Been using them for years. Super durable, easily attach and detach to the mounts for theft protection and charging.

I too use a flashing headlight during the daytime and when it’s a bit darker I’ll switch to the steady mode. For taillights I always using flashing.

We have the front and rear lights on all the time, which are steady.

We also use some moon front and rear lights, which are a double day flash. Surprisingly, this is not only their brightest mode, but also the longest battery life.

I use the Fenix for commuting in my gazelle. One of the best lights for the money. Check the redditt reviews about bike lights.

Is there any limit to the lights that can be used for bikes?

Is a Streamlight Protac HL 5-X too much at 3500 lumens, either on high or strobe?

I got hit with an ad for this front light on a social media platform. They have good algorithms from time to time...

For those that run Garmin or Wahoo computers, it looks pretty slick for anyone who wants a running light and wants to keep a clean cockpit.

The Axa 30 and 50 are quite effective in day and standard on lot bikes. I upgraded wife's to a 80lux light had but switched back to Axa 50 as it was lot more effective in daytime which is 99% of her riding. For odd tunnel or unlike path 50 is fine.

Check out the Cygolite Metro Plus 800. Headlight and tail light combo. For daytime I use a flashing mode with the headlight and during low light conditions I use a steady light. I use the flashing tailight during the daytime and a pulsing mode in low light. Full dark I use a steady light for both headlight and taillight.
Me to, Cygolites front and back. Best bang for the buck. 3 in front 2 at rear each side of frame. One on flash up front and both rear on lightning flash during the day.

Back