Cycling Shorts?

leehop71

Region
USA
City
Cape Coral
How many hear actually wear cycling shorts?

Do you wear them every time that you ride?

What are the positives?

I use them. I can handle my commutes 17 miles a day 5 days a week without. but all other rides I need them like I tend to ride my tandem after I get home got to have shorts. and on weekends longer rides have to have them. but even then I am getting more sore then last year.

Last edited:
I assume you mean padded?

Not cycling shorts, but just started to wear padded bib tights and am finding them to be very comfortable.

They do different versions of these; padded shorts, padded bib short tights, etc.

DG…

No way.... Here's my standard attire for 30 to 40 mile trips. Cut off blue Jeans, commando style. 😆

Attachments

• Post office bike.jpg
    Post office bike.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 141
Been wearing them for over 35 years, still riding with them, doubled up sometimes for long hours in the saddle.

If not only for the padding, the form-fitting lycra/spandex actually support your leg muscles, glute muscles and lower back muscles while cycling.
Similar to wearing a back brace when lifting heavy weights, the tight short protect your muscles during cycling activity.

Last edited:
Been wearing them for over 35 years, still riding with them, doubled up sometimes for long hours in the saddle.

If not only for the padding, the form-fitting lycra/spandex actually support your leg muscles, glute muscles and lower back muscles while cycling.
Similar to wearing a back brace when lifting heavy weights, the tight short protect your muscles during cycling activity.
May I ask what brand and do you wear them bareback as recommended?

May I ask what brand and do you wear them bareback as recommended?
The ones I wear are Gore C3, and I wear StepOne boxers under mine which also are form fitting with Lycra.

For interest I tried many cheap ones from Amazon, but always found their fit to be poor. However, the Gore ones fitted brilliantly straight away.

For me, this is the more comfortable way for wearing them.

DG…

The ones I wear are Gore C3, and I wear StepOne boxers under mine which also are form fitting with Lycra.

For interest I tried many cheap ones from Amazon, but always found their fit to be poor. However, the Gore ones fitted brilliantly straight away.

For me, this is the more comfortable way for wearing them.

DG…
How many pair do you have?

I ride M-F but normally only 5 miles about 20 minutes. Not sure if it’s beneficial to purchase them for that , but would nice to have from Nov through May when the weather breaks!

No one else has the same butt as you, just put on a pair that you can afford and try others if anything causes "discomfort".
If cycling daily, I would recommend at least three pairs of shorts, baby powder inside shorts to keep bacteria growing.
Less expensive shorts tend not to last as long after multiple washes, avoid cold temp. storage would make elasticity last longer.

I ride M-F but normally only 5 miles about 20 minutes. Not sure if it’s beneficial to purchase them for that , but would nice to have from Nov through May when the weather breaks!
I have two pairs and alternate them every day.

These are the ones I have.
IMG_2041.jpeg

Although they state thermal, I have no issues wearing them in the summer.

Don’t worry about the price, if you shop around, you can pick them up much cheaper.

DG…

I tried the padded lycra shorts again this summer after losing weight down to where I bought them 36 years ago. No benefit on a 30 mile commute, up to 5 hours when I first started again in late July. I'm back to cotton poly briefs and time is down to 3 hr 40 min. Under double knee long dickies pants, to avoid donating skin to the road if I fall off.
Your results may vary, my skin is related to Cher's: industrial strength. She is probably a fourth cousin.

it might not be worth it. I would use some pants can block wind. depends on how cold it gets to what you need.

it might not be worth it. I would use some pants can block wind. depends on how cold it gets to what you need.
Below 10 deg F with high winds, I wear waffle weave cotton long underwear, 2 pairs socks, combat boots, long cotton/poly dickies pants, then flock lined carhartt overalls. 5 layers on top. Cotton gloves under lined farmer mittens, oven mitts over that. Welder's helmet liner, saran wrap over helmet vents, safety glasses to avoid tears.

SW Florida! Average temperatures from November through May, 70s - 50s, some 60s - 40s.
from about 55 to 45 I wear golf pants as they dont wear out and are enough below that to about 32 I wear Chrome industry pants astray really keep my legs warm but can work in them. I dont want to change clothes When i get to work.

Few things on EBR vary more from member to member than our dealings with contact points (seats, grips, pedals). In the end, you're just gonna have to try things for yourself. Keep in mind that fancier or pricier isn't always better.

Case in point: Butt pain was limiting my rides. Seat adjustments helped a lot but didn't solve the problem completely.

So, tried these padded bike undershorts based on several recommendations on EBR. The hope was to wear them under my usual lightweight cargo pants and shorts.

After a few 20-mile rides, found them LESS comfortable than my usual quick-dry REI boxers (not tight) and Reebok briefs. And between those, the plain old boxers turn out to work best for me as a casual rider.

Butt still complains on some rides for unclear reasons but seems to be adapting slowly to its new reality.

I wear them. As underwear under some form of nondescript cargo short. The padding is a help as the miles wear on, but the main benefit of cycling shorts are the flat seams and the multi-panel construction. Not because more panels are somehow better, but because more panels allows the seams to be put in places where they will not chafe your skin. Regular shorts and pants have for example a seam that can wind up being literally on your weiner... which rubbed upon for a few thousand times with synthetic thread is not even remotely pleasant. Walking its no big deal, but sitting, with the shorts hiked back thanks to sitting in a bicycle seat so there's no hanging down of the pants...

Strictly speaking, cycling shorts from a hygeine standpoint should be worn alone. However now that I am 60 and no longer a 6'0" rider weighing 135 lbs (more like 235) the world is not ready for my awesomeness in spandex. So I wear looser fitting cargo shorts, and try and make sure I am wearing at least 8- or 10-panel shorts underneath.

Also you can spend a bundle on shorts ... or not. A thick pad and proper panels don't have to cost a lot. Since I ride daily and wear riding shorts effectively as underwear, I have several pairs. I don't usually pay any more than about $20 for a pair.

Lastly, Spandex does not have to be skin tight. Buy a larger size than normal. So long as the fabric is not folding or sagging on you, it is able to do its job. It doesn't have to be stretched across your skin. They look like compression shorts but should not be confused with them or their benefits.

I have four pairs of these. They are probably my favorites. Amazon says I bought my last pair in 2021 and they are still going strong under very frequent use/washing. More expensive now than what I paid but so is everything.

I bought the XXXXLG size (yes, 4XL) and my waist is a 38. So buy oversized, but also don't forget Chinese sizing and REALLY oversize.

Last edited:
I wear them. As underwear under some form of nondescript cargo short. The padding is a help as the miles wear on, but the main benefit of cycling shorts are the flat seams and the multi-panel construction. Not because more panels are somehow better, but because more panels allows the seams to be put in places where they will not chafe your skin. Regular shorts and pants have for example a seam that can wind up being literally on your weiner... which rubbed upon for a few thousand times with synthetic thread is not even remotely pleasant. Walking its no big deal, but sitting, with the shorts hiked back thanks to sitting in a bicycle seat so there's no hanging down of the pants...

Strictly speaking, cycling shorts from a hygeine standpoint should be worn alone. However now that I am 60 and no longer a 6'0" rider weighing 135 lbs (more like 235) the world is not ready for my awesomeness in spandex. So I wear looser fitting cargo shorts, and try and make sure I am wearing at least 8- or 10-panel shorts underneath.

Also you can spend a bundle on shorts ... or not. A thick pad and proper panels don't have to cost a lot. Since I ride daily and wear riding shorts effectively as underwear, I have several pairs. I don't usually pay any more than about $20 for a pair.

Lastly, Spandex does not have to be skin tight. Buy a larger size than normal. So long as the fabric is not folding or sagging on you, it is able to do its job. It doesn't have to be stretched across your skin.

I have four pairs of these. They are probably my favorites. Amazon says I bought my last pair in 2021 and they are still going strong under very frequent use/washing. More expensive now than what I paid but so is everything.

I bought the XXXXLG size (yes, 4XL) and my waist is a 38. So buy oversized, but also don't forget Chinese sizing and REALLY oversize.
As a sidebar, I feel the same way and won’t even go outside without a shirt on!

There’s a reality TV show called, ‘Naked and Afraid’.

If anyone saw me naked, they would definitely be afraid and probably frightened!!!

Back