Currie Peak

eDean

Hi,

I am sure I'm not alone in my interest in the Currie Peak. It seems like a great bike at a reasonable price point. If you have one please share your experience. While there are couple of reviews of this bike, they are based on initial impressions. I'm looking for insight around a longer term experience.

Thanks

I have had my Peak for about 3 weeks. I plan to do a much more complete write up once I get a ton of miles and more experience with it!

My experience with Currie and Larry Pizzi in particular has been fantastic. He even intervened with a retailer to get my back-ordered bike quickly processed! I feel that he really cares about his customers and his actions certainly seem to demonstrate that.

To start with, I have found the Peak to be truly designed and built as a "Class 3" off-road hard tail, built for cross country riding and racing over hilly terrain with roots, rocks etc. (according to the owner's manual.) This is quite a step above just general purpose riding. It has a really decent front fork, the frame is strong, deraileurs are good quality, etc. Check out that massive head tube, as an example of this. So the bike is built (and warrantied) to take true off- road use and that is reassuring.

I really like the Dash too, but it seems like the Peak is a hidden gem of a bike, but often overlooked, possibly because it doesn't seem as much fun at least on a quick test drive because of its 6 mph throttle cut off and it takes a bit more skill to operate initially, like all mid-drives.

What makes the Peak unique is that it truly is a dual purpose bike. It can certainly master the trails as well as the road. At least one write up mentioned that the Peak "kept up" with the Bosch Haibikes on a test circuit, but I suspect that it probably could surpass them! It has over 20% more torque than even the new high performance Bosch mid-drives. That's pretty impressive! I am also not aware of any ongoing issues with the transx mid drive unit of the Peak. It seems as reliable as the Bosch based on my research.

The Peak imparts a feeling of confidence and control. I get the feeling that it was very well designed and tested. It could be the weight or the balance but the Peak feels very safe, secure, and "planted" at high speed. It goes where road bikes fear to tread and yet can travel at road bike speeds on the road without difficulty. It really is like two bikes in one.

The motor is very quiet, and the PAS delay allows you to shift cleanly too, if you use it correctly. It also pedals very well even without electric assist. I have ridden it 5 or 6 miles without any assist and it felt fine.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and the Peak is no exception. I have ridden two of them, and both had excessive tire "wobble" like the wheel was out of round. A quick trip to the bike shop and a re-mount of the inner tubes fixed it on mine. The wheels were not out of true, it was just the inner tubes were kinked and not laid out evenly in the tire casing.

The stopping power on my particular Peak is not up to par and I get brake squeal. I didn't recall any brake anomies with the other Peak I rode, so it could just be an issue with the pads on mine. I will take it in to have that checked out.

I re-edited this to make it more clear, my first write-up was completed in haste during a fireworks event yesterday! I really like my Peak! I did an ebike demo (featuring my Peak) at work last week. More than a dozen folks showed up to check it out!

image.jpg

Hope this helps you!
Rusty

Awesome writeup @Rusty, I agree that the Peak is kind of a hidden gem. My experience has been somewhat limited as eDean pointed out in his first post there but I still liked it. I think it started to grow on me the second time I took it out and even though I really call out the throttle cutoff at 6mph it's not that big of a deal and frankly, many other ebikes don't even have throttles so it's really a step up in a way :)

I recently test rode a the 29 inch Haibike hardtail. I really liked it and the mid drive system from Bosch. It was VERY much like a regular bike. I think the charm of the Haibike is in how much it feels like a regular bike. I am looking forward to the upcoming FS Peak and wonder how it will compare to the Haibikes. One thing I didn't like about the Haibike was that it didn't feel very powerful to me and it cut out at 20 mph on the dot! If I could get a mid drive FS bike that can go 28mph at a reasonable price, that would be hard to resist.

I recently test rode a the 29 inch Haibike hardtail. I really liked it and the mid drive system from Bosch. It was VERY much like a regular bike. I think the charm of the Haibike is in how much it feels like a regular bike. I am looking forward to the upcoming FS Peak and wonder how it will compare to the Haibikes. One thing I didn't like about the Haibike was that it didn't feel very powerful to me and it cut out at 20 mph on the dot! If I could get a mid drive FS bike that can go 28mph at a reasonable price, that would be hard to resist.
Are the Focus bikes at 4k too much?

It is tough finding a full suspension mid drive, with quality brakes and susp for less than 5-6k.

Back