Cube Reaction HPA Pro 400

scottbeattie

Picked up a new bike this week ... my first ebike.

The front cog is a 15... it seems very low. When I ride it it is like I'm bouncing a motor off a rev limiter as the bike cuts out at 25km. Would increasing the front cog help?

Changing the front cog will help with the top speed you can comfortably pedal up to without a ridiculously high cadence (at the expense of hill-climbing) but will not help with the motor cutting out at 25 km/hr on a Euro-spec bike, as the speed sensor is on the back wheel.

There are ways to 'cheat' the system - changing wheel size in the computer; using a dongle; moving speed sensor to outside of chainstay & installing magnet on crank; etc.

Personally, I don't feel I need power assist at over 25 km/hr as I want assistance uphill & prefer to pedal under my own steam on the flat (improves range & my own fitness). Gearing is great for my needs on my Reaction Race as this has the XT 11 speed gears. If you want better gear range without > 25 km/hr assist, an upgrade to 11 speed may be worth it for you?

P.S: I only know about the cheats because I'm a bit of a keyboard warrior & read about them on the internet. I wouldn't personally recommend any of them as the Bosch software is very clever & may detect something is wrong. For example, the magnet on the crank trick is described on a Youtube video & one of the comments includes these words:

"I have a Bosch Haibike and `I did just the same here. It worked well for a few minutes before the computer picked up that something was wrong and the screen showed up error 502 and stopped working"

Changing the front cog will help with the top speed you can comfortably pedal up to without a ridiculously high cadence (at the expense of hill-climbing) but will not help with the motor cutting out at 25 km/hr on a Euro-spec bike, as the speed sensor is on the back wheel.

There are ways to 'cheat' the system - changing wheel size in the computer; using a dongle; moving speed sensor to outside of chainstay & installing magnet on crank; etc.

Personally, I don't feel I need power assist at over 25 km/hr as I want assistance uphill & prefer to pedal under my own steam on the flat (improves range & my own fitness). Gearing is great for my needs on my Reaction Race as this has the XT 11 speed gears. If you want better gear range without > 25 km/hr assist, an upgrade to 11 speed may be worth it for you?
Once you have been to the dark side (class 3 28 mph) you can never go back!

Hello guys, I'm new here. I just bought a Cube and I'm very interested in being able to pass the 30 km/h cutoff limit.
I found several options but I'm not sure which one is the best and one that won't mess up my bike.

All options will void warranty ... so I'm going to wait until my warranty is complete before making changes. There are several chip/dongle options for bypassing the limits.

A friend of mine has a Cube Hybrid Pro HPA 500 and fitted a Bikespeed RS dongle after much research and a 17t front sprocket. He tells me he is very, very happy with the combination which removes the feeling of hitting sand or mud when the engine assistance cuts off at 25km/h. He tells me his average speed for his daily commute has increased by about 7-10km/h and he regularly cruises around 35-40kph on the flat and 25-30km/h uphill. He tells me his top speed with engine assistance so far is 65.2 kph along the M7 cycle lane. He tells me the 17t front sprocket is a good balance between lower cadence at the top end with increased effort at the bottom end. He may try an 18t or 19t but that will require lengthening the chain. If he does I will pass on his opinion on that.

Of course, that is what he tells me. I have no direct knowledge myself because that would be illegal, although my personal view is that as long as you don't do stupid things and draw the crabs, the risks involved in doing such modifications is low, however, any consequences that may arise such as damaging your engine is entirely on you. That said, I don't really see how chipping the engine would damage it per se, as you are not increasing power, only bypassing the speed governor. It may result in shorter battery life as you would be using more battery potentially, or possibly shorter engine life, although I doubt that.

Hey all,
I've just bought a 2017 Cube Hybrid Pro HPA 500, and on initial riding it was instantly obvious that a) I needed a bigger front sprocket and b) I need to remove the 15mph limiter! As a lifelong biker who would happily spend all day out of the saddle, it pains me that high cadence has taken over as the peddling method of choice. I like to be standing up and slogging along... So, I've ordered a 20t front sprocket and the Peartune MSO “max speed off” tuning tool for my Pro from ebiketuning.com. I'll report back when the items have arrived and are fitted.

I thought I should post an update on "my friend's" bike.

1) The bikespeed RS has performed flawlessly and to speed has been 70kph - I think it could have gone faster except "my friend" didn't want to push his limits - a stack at that speed would not be pretty. When I, sorry, I mean he took his bike to have the eMTB software update done recently, he removed it prior to the service and the diagnostic software could not detect it had been fitted (He was standing with the mechanic when he was doing the upgrade and the tech told him if it had been detected he would have to note it on the service record but that nothing had come up) Bikespeed RS claim that there is no need to physically remove it - switching it off via a key sequence will render it undetectable. My friend erred on the side of caution but will probably leave it in next time and just disable it for the service.

2) On the subject of whether chipping an engine will damage it, my research is that the 350w motor used in the s-pedelecs and the 250w motor are identical except for the programming see https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/p...n-the-250w-350w-bosch-ebike-motors-explained/. Given that, I'm pretty confident that my friend will not damage his engine with his dongle.

However, to cater for the higher speeds and eliminate the high cadence and constant gear shifting as per Nobby's post, he has modified his bike pretty extensively. I will post a full description with Pics when I have time later this weekend, but the main mods are:

Swapped the Shimano drivetrain for the SRAM EX-1 drivetrain which has been especially designed for e-bikes. Very happy with the new drivetrain and worth every cent. http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/new...ific-ex1-drivetrain-and-guide-re-brake-47061/ http://reviews.mtbr.com/sram-ex1-e-bike-drivetrain-review http://ebike-mtb.com/en/sram-ex1-review-8-gear-drivetrain-e-mtbs/ He is running an 18t sprocket on the front.

Upgraded the brakes to SRAM Guide RE with 200mm rotors front and back. No issues or worries about having the power to stop when he needs to. http://ebike-mtb.com/en/sram-guide-re-review-new-e-mtb-specific-brakes/

Replaced the Intuvia display with a Bosch Nyon computer

Fitted a Bikespeed RS Dongle - Absolutely no issues and correct speed displayed etc. A mate has the ASA dongle and by comparision, the fitting is more complex, it doesn't appear as well made, crappy connectors and appears to limit him to 50kmh. here is a video he posted on youtube on his daily commute:
More info: http://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html

Other mods and accessories:

Fitted a Supernova M99 Pure front light. Upgraded to a Supernova M99Pro with high beam (p.m. me if anyone is interested in the M99 Pure) Simply brilliant lights in my view

Hornit 140DB Bike Horn - sorry, some dinky bike bell just doesn't cut the mustard at speed: https://www.thehornit.com/

Mudhugger Mud Guards https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

Spare Bosch 500Wh eBike PowerPack Battery

He is pretty happy with the setup now and uses it most days to commute to work -around 25km each way and longer rides (up to 80km on weekends).

Hi again,

I've had the Peartune installed for a couple of days now. The advantage of de-restricting the top speed has been that it makes my commute a lot swifter (albeit somewhat embarrassing as I overtake way fitter cyclists than me!). My commute can be completed off-road, so I'm not breaking the law. This weekend I'm fitting a 20t chainring (replacing the standard 15) - it'll be interesting to see what that does to my Strava segment times...

Back