Creo Through Axles

Yes, absolutely. So what is Specialized thinking. We all have torque sensors built into our thumbs? I'll have to pay more attention to that. Not what I expected. I've ridden QR for decades and it's always been the cam action which creates the clamp. This is different. Not sure why.
The through-axle used on your bike and mine is what I call a "faux" quick release. It looks like the old fashioned quick release that had a cam and spring but it is merely a one piece "L" shaped handle so that you don't need a hex/allen wrench.

When buying a rack for my Creo (yes, not the lightest bike in the barn), a few racks would not work with that Specialized L-axle. In order to turn the through-axle, you'd first have to remove the rack. Not convenient if you got a flat.

While I did get a pair of the Roberts whatevers, I have not installed them yet.

Hi Stefan, I watched the video. I think he omitted one class of thru-axles - a thru-axle WITH a cam. I'm new to Specialized so I don't know if they're using this on any of their bikes, but this is what I have on my Bulls E-Stream Turbo, front axle.

Those "wings" are spring loaded, they compress to the diameter of the axle when travelling through the hub and then they pop out when they emerge.

1656342337876.png

At the other end of the axle is the lever with the cam to clamp the fork together after tightening, similar to the conventional QR.

1656342526381.png

For whatever reason, that is only on the front fork, the rear has the same type of thru-axle as on my Creo. Just screw it down "tight" and good to go.

I have a Creo and a Vado SL. Dimensionally the thru axles are the same. Sometimes I swap them. For example, this spring I took a trip with some buddies and we hauled our bikes in a U-Haul trailer. We secured the bikes in the trailer using fork mounts. The axle with a lever made it easier to remove the front wheel and secure the Vado SL to the fork mount.

As others have stated, there's no cam mechanism in the Creo axle. It's just a lever instead of a hex head. The position of the lever is adjustable. When the LBS built up my Creo the mechanic adjusted the position of the levers so when tightened properly the front lever is parallel to the fork and the rear lever is parallel to the chainstay. Knowing this, a quick glance at the levers before riding the Creo confirms (with reasonable certainty) that my axles are tight.

To lighten my Creo, I changed the standard thru axles to ones fitted with allen keys and it saved a fair bit weight. The front was impossible to find 110mm x 12mm, so made my own by cutting down 142mm x 12mm rear and cutting my own thread. Lasted nearly 2 years so far and still in perfect condition

To lighten my Creo, I changed the standard thru axles to ones fitted with allen keys and it saved a fair bit weight. The front was impossible to find 110mm x 12mm, so made my own by cutting down 142mm x 12mm rear and cutting my own thread. Lasted nearly 2 years so far and still in perfect condition
That's why they call them Specialized ;)
I think exact replacements are available from Robert Axle Project however.

I have a Creo and a Vado SL. Dimensionally the thru axles are the same. Sometimes I swap them. For example, this spring I took a trip with some buddies and we hauled our bikes in a U-Haul trailer. We secured the bikes in the trailer using fork mounts. The axle with a lever made it easier to remove the front wheel and secure the Vado SL to the fork mount.

As others have stated, there's no cam mechanism in the Creo axle. It's just a lever instead of a hex head. The position of the lever is adjustable. When the LBS built up my Creo the mechanic adjusted the position of the levers so when tightened properly the front lever is parallel to the fork and the rear lever is parallel to the chainstay. Knowing this, a quick glance at the levers before riding the Creo confirms (with reasonable certainty) that my axles are tight.

I did NOT know that. I just struggled downstairs and back up (today's hike was too much) to check. Very interesting. I see a small hex/allen head and I gather that can be loosened/tightened to adjust the clock-face-angle of that lever. I had thought it was one-piece and did not realize the level is attached to the through-axle. Very nice. And I see mine is similarly adjusted in alignment with the adjacent bike structure.

Thanks for that info

smart !! i did not know that. also probably looks better and maybe more aero 😂

Back