Creo SL Comp Carbon/EVO -- Shimano HG to SRAM XD Freehub and Cassette Swap

ofcounsel

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I own a 2019 Levo Expert and I recently purchased a Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO that I've converted back to non-EVO spec (I loved the navy blue color of the EVO, but don't need the dropper post, flared bars or super wide gravel tires). For the conversion, I used the S-Works Seatpost that comes with the standard Carbon Comp, Specialized Hover Expert handlebars, and Continental GrandPrix 5000TL tires (set up tubeless).

And as many of you know, the Creo Comp Carbon/EVO comes with a Sunrace 11/42T 11-speed cassette. I had a spare 10/42 SRAM XX1 11-speed, so I figured I'd see if I put that on the bike instead of the Sunrace cassette. To that end, I can confirm that the Forumula XD free hub/148mm end cap (Specialized Part # SP-16481H) (Formula Part # FH-535HA + DWG-1000) works on the Comp Carbon wheelset, as I installed it yesterday. The 10T cog on the XX1 cassette should give me about 3mph more top end at an 80rpm cadence. Also, the XX1 cassette and XD free hub combo is 224grams (about 1/2 lbs.) lighter.

I also swapped out the Praxis aluminum crank arms for the carbon Praxis crank arms. The carbon crank arms are only about 110g lighter than the aluminum crank arms, but they look sleeker IMO.
1FBCEAF6-ACF9-4A11-B4FE-F3ED4093B98F.jpeg

Last edited:
what made you go with Creo vs the Trek Domane HP+ ?
Honestly, the HP+ looks a little off-putting to me. The motor/battery area looks just too unattractive. Similar to the Giant and Cannondale. Aesthetically, I prefer the look of the Specialized. The Specialized also weighs about 10 pounds less than the Trek, which I appreciate. For me, the alternatives to the Specialized were more along the lines of the Orbea, Willier and Bianchi e-bikes.

Also, once you swap to from the Shimano HG free hub to the SRAM XD free hub, you can also use cassettes with slightly wider gearing, such as the Garbaruk 10-46T 11 speed cassette, or the e*thirteen 9-46T 11 speed cassette, as my understanding is that the GRX derailleur (unofficially) can handle up to a 46T max cassette without having to use goatlinks.

Also, once you swap to from the Shimano HG free hub to the SRAM XD free hub, you can also use cassettes with slightly wider gearing, such as the Garbaruk 10-46T 11 speed cassette, or the e*thirteen 9-46T 11 speed cassette, as my understanding is that the GRX derailleur (unofficially) can handle up to a 46T max cassette without having to use goatlinks.
Does the e*thirteen 9-46T 11sp work with the CT derailleur?

Anybody has leads where the SP-16481H can be found?

[edit] I found one at BestBike in Germany.

Last edited:
445 g :oops:
9-42t, XD Driver. I just need the SP-16481H to arrive and I can give this a test.

Attachments

• 127763253_10216932533616215_212245810715415816_n.jpg
    127763253_10216932533616215_212245810715415816_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 308
So far, I've ridden 60 kilometers with and without motor assist and I'm pleased with the experience. 46/9t gives faster speed compared to my 52/11t, so on flats I gained a bit of advantage.

9-42t XD driver.jpg

I own a 2019 Levo Expert and I recently purchased a Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO that I've converted back to non-EVO spec (I loved the navy blue color of the EVO, but don't need the dropper post, flared bars or super wide gravel tires). For the conversion, I used the S-Works Seatpost that comes with the standard Carbon Comp, Specialized Hover Expert handlebars, and Continental GrandPrix 5000TL tires (set up tubeless).

And as many of you know, the Creo Comp Carbon/EVO comes with a Sunrace 11/42T 11-speed cassette. I had a spare 10/42 SRAM XX1 11-speed, so I figured I'd see if I put that on the bike instead of the Sunrace cassette. To that end, I can confirm that the Forumula XD free hub/148mm end cap (Specialized Part # SP-16481H) (Formula Part # FH-535HA + DWG-1000) works on the Comp Carbon wheelset, as I installed it yesterday. The 10T cog on the XX1 cassette should give me about 3mph more top end at an 80rpm cadence. Also, the XX1 cassette and XD free hub combo is 224grams (about 1/2 lbs.) lighter.

I also swapped out the Praxis aluminum crank arms for the carbon Praxis crank arms. The carbon crank arms are only about 110g lighter than the aluminum crank arms, but they look sleeker IMO.View attachment 57576
I'm new here too and after a week of riding my new Creo Expert, I'm spinning out at higher speeds and in need of better ratios. I really like the idea of the 10-42, especially when coupled with a 48t chainring. My bike is fitted with an XD Di2 rear derailleur which should work fine with the SRAM cassette.

My only concern is that my 2021 model comes with a chain guide that won't clear the 48t chainring, so I'm either going to have to run the bike without it or fabricate a new one to match the new size.

It has been several months since you posted, are you still happy with this setup?

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I'm new here too and after a week of riding my new Creo Expert, I'm spinning out at higher speeds and in need of better ratios. I really like the idea of the 10-42, especially when coupled with a 48t chainring. My bike is fitted with an XD Di2 rear derailleur which should work fine with the SRAM cassette.

My only concern is that my 2021 model comes with a chainstay that won't clear the 48t chainring, so I'm either going to have to run the bike without it or fabricate a new one to match the new size.

It has been several months since you posted, are you still happy with this setup?
Do you mean the "chain guide" or "chain keeper" will not fit the 48T ring?

I also swapped out the Praxis aluminum crank arms for the carbon Praxis crank arms. The carbon crank arms are only about 110g lighter than the aluminum crank arms, but they look sleeker IMO.
Resurrecting this thread for a newbie question - to do this swap, what else is required besides the cassette itself and the freehub? Do I need a new SRAM chain, and if so .. does that also mean a new front ring to match?

Resurrecting this thread for a newbie question - to do this swap, what else is required besides the cassette itself and the freehub? Do I need a new SRAM chain, and if so .. does that also mean a new front ring to match?
Just the new cassette and the XD Driver, everything else the same, in my case.

Does anybody know whether I need to use a specific Specialized bottle cage for the range extender battery or does it just work with any old bottle cage?

Does anybody know whether I need to use a specific Specialized bottle cage for the range extender battery or does it just work with any old bottle cage?
My Range Extender came with the cage. The Creo instructions suggest a spacer grommet to offset the top of the cage but mine did not come with one and so, I did not do that.

It does NOT come with the cable to attach to the bike and there are two different cables. One for road and one for mt. The regular adapter will charge the Range Extender or the battery. There is a separate and special Y cable that can charge both at the same time but interestingly canNOT charge only a single battery (you must connect both at the same time to charge).

Just the new cassette and the XD Driver, everything else the same, in my case.
how the heck did you get the original freehub off?!? the end caps are stuck tight on mine, with no obvious way to lock the through axle in place and turn/grab/pull them. the non-drive side endcap can be pulled out a tiny bit, but not removed. i can turn them independent of each other, but the drive side end cap is fixed tight to the through axle, which has no obvious way to immobilize.

how the heck did you get the original freehub off?!? the end caps are stuck tight on mine, with no obvious way to lock the through axle in place and turn/grab/pull them. the non-drive side endcap can be pulled out a tiny bit, but not removed. i can turn them independent of each other, but the drive side end cap is fixed tight to the through axle, which has no obvious way to immobilize.
Good question. I took me a bit of time to find out, but I can't tell you right now because I forgot! There was a notch, I believe. I'll get back to you with photo. I was shaking my head because it was so simple once I figured it out.

Back