Creo Rear Rack

That couch looks awfully comfy but might be a bit much for bike trekking.

I'm somewhat jealous. It looks like you are getting the shakedown down. With months to fine tune it all. You taking one charger for both bikes or one each? Range Extender or single battery?

That couch looks awfully comfy but might be a bit much for bike trekking.

I'm somewhat jealous. It looks like you are getting the shakedown down. With months to fine tune it all. You taking one charger for both bikes or one each? Range Extender or single battery?
I hear ya. The panniers are quite cavernous but I’m afraid that the couch might be pushing it.

A September departure would have been ideal weather wise and less holiday traffic to deal with. It also would have allowed us more time in the saddle to adapt to riding with the additional weight. My wife hasn’t been back home for years so when it comes to family, I won’t stand in her way.

We’ll each be carrying our own RE as well as a charger/cables. The first (mainly uphill) leg will be 160 km to Cochrane and with the weight of the loaded panniers, the REs will be nice to have along for a change.

YouTube short on chairs

Trade-offs!

When hiking the Haute Route, after the first day, I left behind my book and shower flipflops and one or two other items. I did retain my Passport! ;)

I also had a very light MEC sleeping bag for our group in case of a trailside emergency. Would loved to have ditched that but still own it and fortunately it was not needed. It did serve as my sleep sack in the refusios.

YouTube short on chairs

The Helinox that we have is more bulky and heavier than some of the newer versions and I don’t think I can convince my better half to haul it around for the duration of the trip.

IMG_20230214_0919019.jpg
In all likelihood, she won’t be packing anything on top of her rack. I did come across their stool (currently on sale at MEC) which might work in a pinch for short lunch breaks. At 470 grams and about half the price of the Heli Zero, it might be enough to sell her on the idea.

The Helinox that we have is more bulky and heavier than some of the newer versions and I don’t think I can convince my better half to haul it around for the duration of the trip.

View attachment 147005
In all likelihood, she won’t be packing anything on top of her rack. I did come across their stool (currently on sale at MEC) which might work in a pinch for short lunch breaks. At 470 grams and about half the price of the Heli Zero, it might be enough to sell her on the idea.

Oh, my even on sale, it is pricey. And, frankly, I'd have trouble getting up from 11 inches off the ground! :eek:

Why would she be hauling it around? I didn't know MEC was still around. I'll have to see if I can find my old laminated membership card from the late 80's.
It's actually her chair but she doesn't feel the need to bring it along. MEC was taken over by a private US investment firm a couple of years ago. I occasionally still peruse their website but much of their inventory has been reduced and many of their lines have been discontinued. I've been a member since '87.
Oh, my even on sale, it is pricey. And, frankly, I'd have trouble getting up from 11 inches off the ground! :eek:
Yeah, they must have had certain tiny blue skinned folks in mind when they built these. We’ll make do without camp chairs as our stopovers are generally brief.

It's actually her chair but she doesn't feel the need to bring it along. MEC was taken over by a private US investment firm a couple of years ago. I occasionally still peruse their website but much of their inventory has been reduced and many of their lines have been discontinued. I've been a member since '87.

Yeah, they must have had certain tiny blue skinned folks in mind when they built these. We’ll make do without camp chairs as our stopovers are generally brief.

I still have, wear and love my Ferrata Scholler fabric pants (semi-tights). My fall and spring hiking pants. Absolutely wonderful. I have two pair, grey and beige. The light sleeping sack is also theirs. As well as some other stuff. Each time we hit Vancouver and once, Victoria, we hit their store. Not quite as it was but what is???? What I found interesting is even "NOT THEIR PRODUCTS" from other brands were still stuff that one did not find at REI.

I still have, wear and love my Ferrata Scholler fabric pants (semi-tights). My fall and spring hiking pants. Absolutely wonderful. I have two pair, grey and beige. The light sleeping sack is also theirs. As well as some other stuff. Each time we hit Vancouver and once, Victoria, we hit their store. Not quite as it was but what is???? What I found interesting is even "NOT THEIR PRODUCTS" from other brands were still stuff that one did not find at REI.
I still have two pairs of their Rad branded pants which still fit me to this day as well as a bunch of clothing from our kayaking years. My original membership card became so weathered that I laminated it and still carry it with me.

Shortly after the takeover, I noticed more-high end/technical brands such as Arcteryx, 7 Mesh and Fjallraven being added to their existing lineup. I still think that ME(Company) is still a decent outdoor retailer but may have missed the mark in retaining much of their more passionate client base simply because when it was a co-op, there was that connection knowing what their members needed. From time to time, they do offer free shipping with no minimum order which is nice since the closest stores to me are a good 1 ½ hour drive from home.

Back