Crash today on black ice

There was black ice all over Poland yesterday because of sudden warming up of weather.

A person in Warsaw slipped on black ice and died.
A friend in Poznań rode his bike, slipped and broke his wrist. Never ever take your hands off the handlebars or feet from the pedals while crashing. Wear the helmet.
A close friend in Warsaw slipped and fell on his back. No injuries.

The left coast and crowds smarter? Well IMO it’s good you like it. Great food, weather, and miserable hoards. I’ll take black ice and quiet highways… a couple of decades of S. Cal and S. NV took the fun out of me. All sarcasm aside I’m happy you are happy. Winter keeps the riff raff out of Minnesnowta.

ahhh you can always tell authoritative moron wisdom by bold fonts.
The number of times I've avoided a crash by removing my feet from the pedals is countless.
And unless you actually practice crashing your ability to have the discipline to override the natural behavior of protecting your head/face with your arms in the split second an accident takes place is only in one's small mind.
Each crash is unique and knowing the best course of action is difficult to realize in a moment. And though some state being hurt by extending their arms, what you don't know is what injury would have occurred if they hadn't. Broken neck? Busted jaw?
That said I totally understand why some put protecting their face way down on the list of priorities. 🙃

The left coast and crowds smarter? Well IMO it’s good you like it. Great food, weather, and miserable hoards. I’ll take black ice and quiet highways… a couple of decades of S. Cal and S. NV took the fun out of me. All sarcasm aside I’m happy you are happy. Winter keeps the riff raff out of Minnesnowta.
You left out the biggest draw: The Pacific Ocean itself. Every place has its charms and trade-offs.

Never ever take your hands off the handlebars or feet from the pedals while crashing. Wear the helmet.
OFFS More blather. All those decades while you were intent on maintaining your coiffure some of us were out riding, climbing, and practicing adventure sports, sometimes as a job. That has made your top ten ridiculous ever statements.

You left out the biggest draw: The Pacific Ocean itself. Every place has its charms and trade-offs.
Meh. The Pacific off Baja Norte more so. Below Ensenada the nicest stretches begin. It’s fun to read your experiences, it’s great that you have found a place to enjoy retirement. The biggest draw to S CA for me was always the cultural diversity. Especially Mexican and Central American. Being able to experience those cultures in a safe environment. Traveling to those countries is no longer fun, for me at least.

Well it happened quickly. Busted right shoulder and bike needs to go to the shop. Here is the crash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifv16g2kvnwegne/Crash.mp4?dl=0
Progress report: shoulder still hurts a bit but getting there. Bike on the other side is still in the shop after 6 months! Bent right pedal crank, 3 broken spokes and a broken rear axle. The axle is where the problem is. Bike has an enviolo gear system and enviolo has been bad at providing a replacement axle. On my second bike shop and still no news.

Last edited:
Progress report: shoulder still hurts a bit but getting there. Bike on the other side is still in the shop after 6 months! Bent right pedal crank, 3 broken spokes and a broken rear axle. The axle is where the problem is. Bike has an enviolo gear system and enviolo has been bad at providing a replacement axle. On my second bike shop and still no news.
Were you riding on ice?

I was the first to reply back in December and told you it took me 9 months for the pain to go away. You are on your way to come close to that too.

I went down on an ice coated wooden bridge doing about 22mph on my ebike. Before hitting the ground my head hit a metal pole and I fractured 3 cervical vertebrae (C6 was an unstable fracture that could have crippled me). I was wearing a ski helmet that probably saved my life. It happened in an instant as the concrete path was not icy but the air temp was falling (I had been over 3 of the bridges and they were not icy). There was a lit drizzle coming down and I noticed some ice frost on my jacket just prior to going over the 4th bridge and it should have been my indicator that it would be icy. I rode everywhere on that ebike all year long in Denver CO but that accident was a huge set-back. Been 4 years and I can ride but have a hard time looking up well so just can't ride like I want to. It does happen so fast and I was just in the wrong location to go down like that.

On Dec. 31 2019 I went down, boom, on a vacant lot connector to a commuter bike path. The trains were not running that day and I had to get to work, a twenty mile chilly morning ride. I hit a piece of melamine shelving on the vacant lot that had frost on it. No control. Slippery as F*. I was trying to avoid a mud patch. No major damages; Then suddenly every one got sick at work. The bike executives had just come back from Asia. The guy sitting next to me, Dave, was hospitalized for six weeks with an unknown form of phenomena. Even fully caffeinated I zonked out in a key meeting. It was Covid before it was cool. I started acting weird and with inexplicable bloody noises and coughs. That was a horrid time, but changed my life for the better. Now I get to work on amazing bikes on my time, with no stats tracking or bosses. I am fixing up this Cannondale Topstone gavel bike now from North Carolina and I am in Northern California. The guy saw reviews and wanted me to do it over all others while on a spiritual road trip. His derailleur went into his wheel and jammed, bending the rim. Here is the new chain going on, with excessive nano-wax that will be wiped from the exterior with a damp cloth. The stuff does not attract grit. The chain is an e11.

Attachments

• Topstone.jpg
    Topstone.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 68
Back