Crash and burn! Ouch!

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
So I was coming home from work last night around 9pm. Not a car around because of the stay at home order. I was going WOT/20mph on a freshly milled road, and saw the section were it goes from milled to original road. I caught the change on the side of my front wheel and it threw me OVER the bars, slamming me on the ground. I was NOT wearing a helmet.... I have a seriously rashed right knee and elbow and I hit my head above my right eye, tearing out a chunk of hair in the process. Saw stars, just not the famous movie or TV ones. I still rode home (about 8 miles) and the City Commuter seems to have survived. Bent headlight bracket, front fender, right pedal feels bent (or crank arm) and not really sure what else. Moral of story: WEAR A HELMET!

Last edited:
When you see stars, it likely means a mild concussion at least. Pay attention to any signs like headaches or blurred vision. Normally I'd strongly suggest a visit to the hospital, but that could be a death warrant right now.

Ye who would ride a bike must learn how to fall!

Yes be careful about a concussion, they can be bad news. Ken.

Yes, mostly fine. No signs of forgetting...... What, huh? I, of all people, should know better! When we were kids there was no helmets required for mopeds. We watched a friend slide out on some leaves and stay in the hospital for 2 months. We all went out and got helmets after that! Then, you have Mat Hoffman, bmx superstar, and his "Wear a helmet, save a smile!" campaign. I was the only one who wore a full face dirt bike helmet when we were sneaking into our local half pipe at night. Someone fell, bumped their head, and suddenly EVERYONE wanted to make my helmet extra sweaty. I wear a Shuberth C3 Lite on my motor scooter religiously, so I guess this is my hard knock lesson for getting "comfy" on my ebike.

I now have a killer black eye to go along with my new bald spot! Gonna tell everyone I'm training to be a cage fighter!

Never heard of a milled road before. Gonna Google. I see Ashphalt prep. Night riding is the toughest. Heal fast .

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I agree, wearing a helmet is a must. What is really bad is falls as described by the OP usually happen when the cyclist for any reason wore no helmet on the ride. Once and only once I forgot to wear the helmet and the ride ended up with a bad crash. I was lucky: a concrete post was just centimetres from my forehead when the motion stopped...

Helmets save lives for sure, I would never go out without one! Sorry about your accident, I hope you heal quickly!

I would say and mind you jmo. The Moral of teh story is Don't go 20 mph when you can't see 100% of what's coming ahead of you :) Glad you're ok

Omg you rode home after that!
Maybe talk to a doctor about that head injury. A phone call is safe.
Heal fast!

Last edited:
1586113948010.png

Hope you heal fast and fully!

I recall the really old days riding my bike to college wearing my Bell Biker helmet (remember those - like half a white inverted salad bowl?)

My first motorcycle accident was last century, in about 1996. Took on a left turning car and lost. No motorcycle helmet laws in CA back then, but I chose to be wearing a full-face whenever I rode. After my flight over the car I ended up with a broken wrist, broken collarbone and other miscellaneous rash. Doc said that the broken collarbone was common with a full face helmet accident. The collarbone acted like a fusible link in an electrical system. It broke when smacked by the helmet - but your spine didn't!:eek:

View attachment 49105

Hope you heal fast and fully!

I recall the really old days riding my bike to college wearing my Bell Biker helmet (remember those - like half a white inverted salad bowl?)

My first motorcycle accident was last century, in about 1996. Took on a left turning car and lost. No motorcycle helmet laws in CA back then, but I chose to be wearing a full-face whenever I rode. After my flight over the car I ended up with a broken wrist, broken collarbone and other miscellaneous rash. Doc said that the broken collarbone was common with a full face helmet accident. The collarbone acted like a fusible link in an electrical system. It broke when smacked by the helmet - but your spine didn't!:eek:

California helmet laws were in effect in 1996. I was heavily into sport bikes at the time

California helmet laws were in effect in 1996. I was heavily into sport bikes at the time
By gosh you are right. I started riding in about 1990 and always wore a helmet. Looks like CA made them mandatory in 1992. Guess I wasn't so prescient after all!

I never wore a helmet as a kid, but I'm glad I do now. I've cracked several of them in crashes with other cyclists that weren't paying enough attention, including one that wasn't wearing a helmet. The EMT's took him to the hospital. I was able to ride home, then buy a new helmet to replace the one that was cracked when my head hit the pavement.

So I got my new helmet, Nutcase-Space Cats! Now, I need to get back on the bike.... When I got this bike I told my wife that the skinny, 28" tall wheels would do me in. Yes, I should have slowed down, been more aware of the road surface changes and the bike itself did not cause the accident, but I'm kinda reluctant to get back on that tall horse. Logic tells me its all in my head, because I had a homemade swing bike made out of Huffy beach cruisers and I rode that wobbly death trap like I stole it! I keep finding myself looking at something with 20" wheels now. Flat foot at stops, not have to hop off the seat like my current City Commuter. Lower center of gravity. Anyways, I'll give it a few rides before I know for sure. In the meantime-wear your helmets!

Last edited:
Back