Could we expect firmware updates for our bikes?

EVBiker

I was wondering if there's any possibility of firmware updates for our bikes. Is this possible the way the bikes are currently sold?

This is something I especially love with our car and it would be awesome to be able to get features and improvements via firmware updates.

One firmware feature I'd love to have is he ability to set the battery charge percentage, just like you can with an electric car.

We can then leave the battery charge percentage to 80% for every day use and do a 100% "range charge" just for long trips. This would also take care of setting a more optimum battery charge for storage and periods of less use.

I was wondering if there's any possibility of firmware updates for our bikes. Is this possible the way the bikes are currently sold?

This is something I especially love with our car and it would be awesome to be able to get features and improvements via firmware updates.

One firmware feature I'd love to have is the ability to set the battery charge percentage, just like you can with an electric car.

We can then leave the battery charge percentage to 80% for everyday use and do a 100% "range charge" just for long trips.

This would also take care of setting a more optimum battery charge for storage and periods of less use.

Yes, the 4 major OEM mid-drives offer firmware updates via their dealer network. (Bosch, Brose, Shimano, & Yamaha)

P.S. Beware that new firmware will sometimes disable the current speed hacks. YMMV! ;)

Yes, the 4 major OEM mid-drives offer firmware updates via their dealer network. (Bosch, Brose, Shimano, & Yamaha)

P.S. Beware that new firmware will sometimes disable the current speed hacks. YMMV! ;)

Yeah I guess that can go both ways but I'd love to have some way to update the firmware.

Especially to be able to set the max charge rate from 50% to 100%.

That is in no way software controlled or related at all. It is hardware related and it requires a new charger with the correct components.

An easy and cheap way to set charge limits is with a 24 Hour Mechanical Timer so you can set the specified time you need for charging purposes, say you have 30% and need to get to 80% so set it for a few hours and it automatically shuts off the charger and you are all good.

I also use smart plugs connected to my iphone. The charger for XP stock charger charges at about 2.5 volts per hour. So I set the plug timer to bring me to 51.5 to 52 volts. Say 49 v + 2.5 volts = 51.5 volts; set for 1 hour.

Is there any way to get the current watt-hour figure for the battery so a smart plug can deliver the set watt hours of energy?

You may be able to back into a watt hour figure for the 48 v 10.4 amp-hour battery but is that really necessary? The XP fully charged is 54.6 v, I assume that the battery has 10.4 amp hours of energy at that point. But it is not all usable as you can't (shouldn't) discharge to zero energy (for the health and safety of the battery). The XP computer ( I believe), as the battery discharges reduces the maximum allowable motor current that the bike can draw and will not discharge below 42 v which is 20 % remaining capacity or 2.8 amp hours.

So I just use the chart below to know how much battery capacity I have left in percent and judge my allowable riding distance accordingly. I guess that you could convert % to amp hours but it seems like an unnecessary complexity.

Other Thoughts?

1600905054601.png

I will feel a Watt-Hour figure would coorelate more directly with the actual battery capacity. At least this is the measurement that is always used for electric cars.

Is the current battery watt hour capacity a figure you can get from he BMS (Battery Management System)?

Back