Cost for Purion to Kiox upgrade?

LovelySquare83

Region
USA
I recently got a Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 3 and absolutely love it but the Purion display doesn't offer as much as I'd like. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Kiox display. I'm going to ask my LBS where I bought my bike how much they'll charge to do it (I know the upgrade kit itself will be around $250) but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with the cost for this with labor? (I'm pretty handy but more with cars than bikes and I'm not interested in dropping the motor out to run the wires myself to do the upgrade).

I recently got a Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 3 and absolutely love it but the Purion display doesn't offer as much as I'd like. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Kiox display. I'm going to ask my LBS where I bought my bike how much they'll charge to do it (I know the upgrade kit itself will be around $250) but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with the cost for this with labor? (I'm pretty handy but more with cars than bikes and I'm not interested in dropping the motor out to run the wires myself to do the upgrade).
it depends on the shop. they have to drop the motor and run new wires. I would figure a hour to a hour and a half of their labor.

I bought my bike, the Kiox retrofit and the swap via REI. They charged for about 2 hours labor and ebike diagnostics. Since I have a drop bar ebike they also had to re-wrap the handlebars. Took about a week for turnaround.

I ordered the Kiox retrofit kit from REI and it should arrive next week. My LBS said they'll charge $20 to install it which sounds absurdly low. I'd been assuming it would require dropping out the motor from everything I'd seen online about the process, but maybe it doesn't – I can afford $20 but if it's somehow just routing cables and plug and play I'll do it myself.

I ordered the Kiox retrofit kit from REI and it should arrive next week. My LBS said they'll charge $20 to install it which sounds absurdly low. I'd been assuming it would require dropping out the motor from everything I'd seen online about the process, but maybe it doesn't – I can afford $20 but if it's somehow just routing cables and plug and play I'll do it myself.
ya thats low and ya the motor has to be dropped.

I'm betting the LBS is pricing it like a kiox-nyon-sph change where its just 2 screws for the 2 wires and then swapping the handlebar mount out.

I think you're both right about them not counting on dropping the motor, @BlackHand and @fooferdoggie. Well, the Kiox will arrive next Wednesday and I'll call my LBS after that to schedule it and will make it clear to them that the motor needs to be dropped. Hopefully they'll give me a better estimate then!

Conversion is straightforward. I've swapped from Intuvia to Purion on Gen2 motor. Take lots of photos before you start removing cables.

Remove left crank arm and engine covers. Unplug Purion cable, cabletie and tape some string or wire to it and pull back through frame. Having internal battery compartment may help you access cable from it. Attach Kiox cable to string and pull it back through frame and plug in.

Motor may need shop to enable it for kiox, to check just unplug Purion connector and plug Kiox in before removing cables. See if Kiox powers up motor and you can access all features.

Becareful unscrewing cable clamps where cable enters frame with rear brake hose. There can be nut on otherside of screw that drops into frame. I was lucky found video warning me of this.

There should be some videos on YouTube.

Conversion is straightforward. I've swapped from Intuvia to Purion on Gen2 motor. Take lots of photos before you start removing cables.

Remove left crank arm and engine covers. Unplug Purion cable, cabletie and tape some string or wire to it and pull back through frame. Having internal battery compartment may help you access cable from it. Attach Kiox cable to string and pull it back through frame and plug in.

Motor may need shop to enable it for kiox, to check just unplug Purion connector and plug Kiox in before removing cables. See if Kiox powers up motor and you can access all features.

Becareful unscrewing cable clamps where cable enters frame with rear brake hose. There can be nut on otherside of screw that drops into frame. I was lucky found video warning me of this.

There should be some videos on YouTube.
Good advice. I don't think I would have to drop my motor if I were to do it again. I did have to detach one of the battery mounts to get my cables past a spot where they were getting hung up.

Good advice. I don't think I would have to drop my motor if I were to do it again. I did have to detach one of the battery mounts to get my cables past a spot where they were getting hung up.
it would depend on the bike. they had to tear mine apart the whole front end and batery mount to get the cable run it was crazy. poor planning on bulls part. nut bosch did not really have upgrades in 2019

If you need to undo any bolts in battery compartment pack bottom with cloth to catch any loose bolt. If they end up in engine compartment maybe up for lot more dismantling.

To close the loop on this, I finally got the Kiox installed. I was delaying because I was having too much fun riding and didn't want to have my bike out of commission!

The Kiox retrofit kit from REI was $260. My LBS charged me $30 to switch it out from the Purion. They said they did NOT have to drop the motor - they needed to remove the left crank and motor cover and it was tricky to thread the new wires but that's it. I guess I can be happy that Cannondale didn't make this too complicated.

First ride will be tomorrow. I have done a software upgrade on the Kiox and purchased the ebike lock feature (totally worth it for just $10). It's nice to see an actual battery percentage and I've customized the screens to show exactly what I want. Also looking forward to trying the routing feature with some imported GPX tracks. I really wish Cannondale had included the Kiox out of the box for the price of this bike, but at least it was relatively easy to do in the end.

Back