Competing Online Vendors - being an ethical buyer

The duke

Over gotten closer to pulling the trigger on my $2.5k, integrated battery e-mtb and have email threads going with a few online vendors with my questions. They've all been really nice and helpful. Willing to email volumes, text from their personal cells and have long phone conversations, sometimes from their homes at night!

Since I can't see the bikes in person, the process is slow. They'll email me specs, pics and their 'best price'. I'll spend 30 minutes looking at reviews online. Then I'll email them my questions, plus what other bikes I'm looking at with their competitors.

I've created a price war between 3 different vendors. "Forward me their emailed offer and I'll beat it" is the usual refrain. They'll come down a little in price, but if that doesnt work, will offer the 2017 model, or a few hundred off with a slight reduction in components, or toss in some extra labor....tuning, a free cheapo seatpost suspension, some flat goo in the tubes....anything to get the advantage. It seems endless.

I'm honestly feeling like a dick for putting good people in this situation. I feel like I'm spinning their wheels. It's always 'after all the time I've given you, at least let me know what deal you're taking so I have a chance to compete".

I don't know how it all ends and am feeling a little guilty.

Sounds like you're doing everything right as long as they know you're shopping around, that's just part of the business. It's a matter of opinion, but I don't like playing one offer off against another. It works sometimes, but I emphasize that I want the best offer they have the first time. Most vendors know what their competition is and ought to be able to do that.

Do follow up and let the "losers" know and thank them for their help. You don't have to go into details.

TT

It is hard to evaluate the offers without knowing the bikes you are considering for purchase. $2500 for an FS emtb seems too good to be true.

Over gotten closer to pulling the trigger on my $2.5k, integrated battery e-mtb and have email threads going with a few online vendors with my questions. They've all been really nice and helpful. Willing to email volumes, text from their personal cells and have long phone conversations, sometimes from their homes at night!

Since I can't see the bikes in person, the process is slow. They'll email me specs, pics and their 'best price'. I'll spend 30 minutes looking at reviews online. Then I'll email them my questions, plus what other bikes I'm looking at with their competitors.

I've created a price war between 3 different vendors. "Forward me their emailed offer and I'll beat it" is the usual refrain. They'll come down a little in price, but if that doesnt work, will offer the 2017 model, or a few hundred off with a slight reduction in components, or toss in some extra labor....tuning, a free cheapo seatpost suspension, some flat goo in the tubes....anything to get the advantage. It seems endless.

I'm honestly feeling like a dick for putting good people in this situation. I feel like I'm spinning their wheels. It's always 'after all the time I've given you, at least let me know what deal you're taking so I have a chance to compete".

I don't know how it all ends and am feeling a little guilty.

What bikes are you considering ?

Sounds like you're doing everything right as long as they know you're shopping around, that's just part of the business. It's a matter of opinion, but I don't like playing one offer off against another. It works sometimes, but I emphasize that I want the best offer they have the first time. Most vendors know what their competition is and ought to be able to do that.

Do follow up and let the "losers" know and thank them for their help. You don't have to go into details.

TT
Maybe that was my mistake. All three vendors knew they weren't the only one, but it kind of feels like dating. Spending a lot of time discussing riding style, preferences and what free add on they might be willing to give..... having them email you a quote.... creating an online profile on their website. I feels like when I was allowed to go to second base with that sweet girl from church. Sure, i was honest up front, but at some point, I'm creating expectations about closing the deal, and if I don't, I feel like the bad guy. :(

The kindest thing you could do at this point is make a decision and buy one! Put the others out of their misery.

Back