nf94

I want to start a thread about Companion Bike Seats. They seem like a solid company, though their seats appear a bit overpriced. For instance, they do have an ebike spoke, but it's a $50 upgrade. Besides that, I mostly have questions about whether and how well they work. In theory, they sound like the solution that I want to use, but I have not seen too many reviews of these, and they also sound like something that could lead to damaging a bike.

Questions:

Have people encountered broken spokes using this seat?
Have people broken their bike frame with this seat?
Have people had success with two adults riding one bike using this seat?

Attachments

• 51wifgxIt1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51wifgxIt1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 666
I don't have experience with this product but I would be concerned with using it due to the weight a passenger would add. My ebike has a max weight capacity of 300lbs. Other models and brands have lower ratings but even at a 300lb rating a passenger and rider could easily overload the bike and brakes. Ignoring possible injuries, the lifetime frame warranty on my ebike would be voided.

Handling is another concern. The passenger center of gravity is fairly high. I can see where this would make turns much more difficult.

YRMV, but I'd be very cautious about this add on.

Cargo ebikes may be OK with the added load, but even then I'd verify the bike's ratings first.

I plan to add a seat cushion to my Lectric XP rack for the wife to occassionally ride on. The rack and bike hold me just fine (190lbs). The back spokes do sing a little when were rolling, but who cares spokes are replaceable. For $900 the whole bike is replaceable so I'll do what I want and not worry about the warranty (or maybe lie if I do break the frame). I won't, it is stout.

I plan to add a seat cushion to my Lectric XP rack for the wife to occassionally ride on. The rack and bike hold me just fine (190lbs). The back spokes do sing a little when were rolling, but who cares spokes are replaceable. For $900 the whole bike is replaceable so I'll do what I want and not worry about the warranty (or maybe lie if I do break the frame). I won't, it is stout.

Yeah, I think I'll wait a year or so before I start pushing the limits of my bike just because it's new and I use it for my main transportation, but I feel the same way. Once I've gotten a lot of use out of it, if it has held up, I'm happy to replace parts.

I don't have experience with this product but I would be concerned with using it due to the weight a passenger would add. My ebike has a max weight capacity of 300lbs. Other models and brands have lower ratings but even at a 300lb rating a passenger and rider could easily overload the bike and brakes. Ignoring possible injuries, the lifetime frame warranty on my ebike would be voided.

Handling is another concern. The passenger center of gravity is fairly high. I can see where this would make turns much more difficult.

YRMV, but I'd be very cautious about this add on.

Cargo ebikes may be OK with the added load, but even then I'd verify the bike's ratings first.

Thanks, before buying the Flash, I was looking at a number of bikes built to have an extra rider, such as those from RadPower, Juiced, and Super73, which is what directed me towards the idea or 2-riders, but ultimately I did want a more standard bike frame, pedal-assist concept bike, rather than a cargo- or moped-style frame. I'll definitely be very cautious with any add-on.

I've been trying to determine whether a banana seat (example: 26" lowrider seat) with sissy bars would distribute the weight differently than the companion bike seat (not sure whether that is compatible with this bike), just as an idea. I'd be interested in what people thing.

Imagining that the banana seat would allow for more weight to distribute onto the seat post while still having the sissy bar, I'm wondering whether that would make for a seat that relies more directly on the structure of the bike (the seatpost and the center of the frame) as opposed to the Companion style where appears distributed on a rack and the back tire.

zcruiser-bicycle-underseat-sissybar1.jpg

Companion bike seat makes ebike pegs to use with their seat, but you could also use them on their own.

91Wci5+lmCL._AC_SX425_.jpg

That would allow weight to be distributed to four points (seatpost, sissy bars, left axle peg, right axle peg). It is true that the last three points of weight distribution are all on the back axle/back wheel, which means the earlier concern is still an issue / danger.

The weight limit of the Flash ebike is 300lbs. I weight around 170lbs on average, and my gf is about 130, meaning that we would be within the weight limit of the bike as a whole, but just making the center of gravity further back than normal. So, it stands to reason that this could be a find setup.

I'm hesitant to try anything because my bike is new, and I need it for much more intensive 1-rider riding, but maybe a year down the line, I'll settle on an idea to try out.

I've had this seat for three years and it has been great. ridden my daughter primarily but also adults for long distances. they stopped producing them but may come out with a 2.0.

anyone else run a rear passanger?

Wow, Amazon really does have everything! We rode friends on the handlebars of beach cruisers or rear pegs on bmx bikes when we were kids. We were much lighter and agile back then, plus the rides were rarely further than the next neighborhood over.

Glad this discussion is here. I’m starting to see the end of my 40lb bike seat, and looking for a solution.

Something like this from Amazon could do the trick. I’d like monkey bars for it ideally for extra safety. Anyone seen monkey bars for a regular sized rear rack? (Mine is very heavy duty)
Also, a skirt rack to keep little feet out of wheels is very important!

I’m quite bummed Thule isn’t shipping their Yepp Junior to Canada anymore. Looks very trust worthy.

Back