Como tire -- removing but cannot break the bead

psimkins

I have to replace the original tire on a COMO, however the tire is probably been on the bike a long time before we purchased it. I was surprised that I cannot break the bead! Any suggestions?

I have to replace the original tire on a COMO, however the tire is probably been on the bike a long time before we purchased it. I was surprised that I cannot break the bead! Any suggestions?
There are any number of tools for that purpose since that purpose can be incredibly difficult.

But I actually just read that someone used a c-clamp CAREFULLY to compress the tire. You have to avoid the rim and slowly tighten the clamp until the rubber, sidewall, bead releases.

I had a similar problem last year. I ended up using my bench vice, with two pieces of wood against the sides of the tire.
I tighten the vice VERY slowly until the bead broke and made sure the wood did not make contact with the rim.

There are any number of tools for that purpose since that purpose can be incredibly difficult.

But I actually just read that someone used a c-clamp CAREFULLY to compress the tire. You have to avoid the rim and slowly tighten the clamp until the rubber, sidewall, bead releases.
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago and the c-clamp solution worked...not easily...but it worked.

Thanks for your input, I am going to the specialized dealer today!
I brought my Vado SL wheels to a Specialized shop and gave the work to the mechanic. After swapping the winter tyres for the original Nimbus, he approached me and said: "I had a very hard time to break the bead on your Marathon Winter Plus. After you have washed the winter tyres, please apply a lot of vaseline to the bead for the storage!"

That isn't an option if your are out riding and need to repair a flat.
"Hi, my personal valet and bike mechanic. As you probably know from my call, I need your personal assistance 20 miles from home. While I took twenty minutes to get the tire off my bike, there is no way in hell that I will ever get it back on. Yes, 20 minutes will be okay but not a moment later."

"After you have washed the winter tyres, please apply a lot of vaseline to the bead for the storage!"

.. pause as to Vaseline or other petroleum based lube on rubber/(?) tires, suggest simple dish soap or glycerine (KY) applied to beads.

Also had difficulty replacing rear tire with bead resistance. Laying wheel on side and stepping on side of tire against ground seems to work best for me. A few flats later with dish soap lubed bead, tire will slip off / on easily.

have fun

Back