Como Handlebars on Vado 5.0

@Comfortably Numb: I cannot fail noticing Specialized advertise the 2020 models of Vado 5.0 for the Canadian and American websites. I've heard a rumour Spesh is building a new factory. Perhaps it would be wise to wait, especially during this Winter and the market collapse? Or, turn your attention to the coming models of Cube e-bikes (which have not been actually built yet but might already be advertised). Look for the similar price as Vado 5.0; you might be positively surprised with these German e-bikes!

I'm lucky to own the best vintage of Vado 5.0. If I hadn't had it, I would be shopping for the Cube. How does their position in Canada look like?

Example:

Kathmandu Hybrid EXC 625 Diamond
https://www.citecycles.com/store/CUBE-•-Kathmandu-Hybrid-EXC-625-Diamond-p240521274
(Sorry for the link: the web address is silly but it would work when copied and pasted into your browser).

This e-bike is better specified than Vado 5.0 and is less expensive. Drawbacks: slow charger (I can bet the 4A one can be bought, too) and the Intuvia display (could be replaced with Kiox for extra $$). It puts you into Bosch ecosystem for what it is worth.

@Sierratim: I think you own black Vados 5. Any pictures?

Last edited:
Tied the 2 wires to the front headlight.
Take care not to get any water into the horn or that the wires are sealed.
Riding in the rain several German users reported the 2020 MY B+M horn wouldn't stop anymore and they had to cut the wires to prevent going deaf.
FWIW taking a knife along might be helpful. ;)

The B+M horn was OEM only to start off and comes without instructions, DIY. So maybe they didn't wire it properly sealed.

Me, I would have LOVED to have the YELLOW or RED, as regardless of the performance and usability aspects of the bike, TO ME the main benefit is to be seen. Period. As long as I can have more of a visual presence when I'm riding, it's more important to me. Other than riding with lime green shirts and jackets, it should be a serious consideration of manufacturers to at least provide those colors every year and on every model.
Just like this! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/t...406?color=300735-187406&searchText=95020-6002

Yellow, super cool
Turbo Vad0 4.0 LTD.jpeg

Me, I would have LOVED to have the YELLOW or RED, as regardless of the performance and usability aspects of the bike, TO ME the main benefit is to be seen. Period. As long as I can have more of a visual presence when I'm riding, it's more important to me. Other than riding with lime green shirts and jackets, it should be a serious consideration of manufacturers to at least provide those colors every year and on every model.
Just like this! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/t...406?color=300735-187406&searchText=95020-6002
Yes. Still, these colours belong to Vado 4.0 while @Comfortably Numb would like the 5.0.

The European flagship, Vado 6.0 is in bright red. Notice different details such as Supernova headlight or the number plate support.

1606139708215.png

@Comfortably Numb: I cannot fail noticing Specialized advertise the 2020 models of Vado 5.0 for the Canadian and American websites. I've heard a rumour Spesh is building a new factory. Perhaps it would be wise to wait, especially during this Winter and the market collapse? Or, turn your attention to the coming models of Cube e-bikes (which have not been actually built yet but might already be advertised). Look for the similar price as Vado 5.0; you might be positively surprised with these German e-bikes!

I'm lucky to own the best vintage of Vado 5.0. If I hadn't had it, I would be shopping for the Cube. How does their position in Canada look like?

Example:

Kathmandu Hybrid EXC 625 Diamond
https://www.citecycles.com/store/CUBE-•-Kathmandu-Hybrid-EXC-625-Diamond-p240521274
(Sorry for the link: the web address is silly but it would work when copied and pasted into your browser).

This e-bike is better specified than Vado 5.0 and is less expensive. Drawbacks: slow charger (I can bet the 4A one can be bought, too) and the Intuvia display (could be replaced with Kiox for extra $$). It puts you into Bosch ecosystem for what it is worth.
Thanks for your input Stefan.
I have a Cube dealer real close. They also sell Vados. (Bulls, R&M, Moustache, Gazelle and others as well......eBikes only) I have a Trek dealer even closer.
I think the Vado 5 just might be off my list now. (just more than I want to spend and black only)
That puts me back onto the Cube Kathmandu EXC 625 (trapeze frame), a Trek Allant 8 (stagger), and maybe the Vado 4. The plus for the Cube is it comes with an adjustable stem and suspension seat post. Yes, I would get the 4A charger if I were to get the Cube.
The Trek 8 comes with the rigid fork which I almost prefer. I have a 20+ y.o. Cannondale F900 MTB with the Fatty Headshock and almost always have it locked. I like the idea of the Trek 8 if I were to add an adjustable stem and the Baramind bars, but it puts the price beyond the Cube, which is about at my limit.

I am in no rush at all and most places here have zero inventory anyway.
I am leaning toward the Brose ecosystem and away from the Bosch so that's why I even started looking at Specialized. I had originally ruled them out.

CN

Bosch Gen 4 motors and new displays (Kiox, for instance) seem to be good. Actually I might go for a new Cube Kathmandu if I hadn't already owned the Vado. What do you think of the Bulls (Brose based) e-bikes? Trek e-bikes seem overpriced, true. Moustache e-bikes seem to be very expensive...

Vado is a good e-bike and the 4.0 is really good. What would make me think of a Specialized e-bike nowadays would not only be the very quiet motor but also the connectivity: Mission Control and independently developed BLEvo app really rock! (I perceive my Vado the best of the e-bikes I own, and it is the most universal one).

How is the solid black colour of the 5.0? It's just about a deal killer for me, although I haven't seen a photo
of one or seen one in person. Anyone?
Thanks. CN
I own the Vado 5.0 ST. Really happy with it, although it is now tucked away for the winter as we have snow. The black on the Vado 5.0 is gloss, and is beautiful IMO. It really is a classy looking paint job. Gloss is much simpler and easier to keep clean, often being able to wipe it down. The lighter colours look sharp when they are new, but semi-gloss or matt finish light colours show every bit of dirt and/or grease, and are often a challenge to keep clean.

A good dealer nearby is a thing of beauty, no matter what brand you get. Ebikes certainly require more attention than a regular bicycle, and a good dealer will take care of you.
Although I service and sell other motors at the store where I work (my retirement job...it's more like going to play than work for me) my first choice is the Brose motor. I enjoy the smoothness of it.

I own the Vado 5.0 ST. Really happy with it, although it is now tucked away for the winter as we have snow. The black on the Vado 5.0 is gloss, and is beautiful IMO. It really is a classy looking paint job. Gloss is much simpler and easier to keep clean, often being able to wipe it down. The lighter colours look sharp when they are new, but semi-gloss or matt finish light colours show every bit of dirt and/or grease, and are often a challenge to keep clean.
I guess I've got to see one in person, but the 5 is a bit more than I want to be paying. It isn't the $$$, it's whether I can justify it in my head. I just took a real bath selling a carbon road bike I couldn't ride. I put less than 80 miles on it after I got it. I didn't even know eBikes were a thing when I had it built. CN

I'm new here and this is my first post. I wanted to ask how much did the como handle bar cost you?

Back