Como 2.0 crash - fix? Part out?

STSKIDMORE

So my wife and I were out last Sat starting off on a beautiful day of riding when a guy stopped at a red light decided to go right on red, right into me as I was about to go in front of him. (It was a one way street he was pulling out of) I was not hurt, the car was moving slow and really just hit my front wheel, but that in turn toppled the bike and I. Just got a quote from my LBS that it will cost $1030 to fully repair… except the front forks and possibly other parts are nowhere to found. (I’ve been paid by the drive for this today) Specialized said they most likely wouldn’t be available until March 2022. On top of that, we’ve got a few e-bike vacations planned this year.
One thought is to try and buy a new Como 2 and move all the mods off the original bike on to it and then maybe try to sell the remaining parts.
Or wait, maybe try and rent an e-bike for the vacations.
What do you guys think?

2C1A5C45-E135-46AE-A534-8AB14B51EC35.jpeg

Attachments

• 5916B3A7-E961-4A05-8756-08803205133A.jpeg
    5916B3A7-E961-4A05-8756-08803205133A.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 2A3277E7-B62E-4180-A608-F43390B3356F.jpeg
    2A3277E7-B62E-4180-A608-F43390B3356F.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 254
Glad you were not hurt. That's awful. Can you even find a NEW bike in stock now? I'd also check if there will be rentals where you had planned vacations.

I don't know if Como 2s are even available today, might be discontinued. 1000 dollars won't go far towards a new bike, either, so perhaps an aftermarket fork and a rebuild will be OK if the motor, controller, battery, and such are OK.

Welcome, and glad to hear you are okay. That is the big one.
Options: Put it all in the insurance company's hands and let them deal with it by getting you a replacement bike without delay. As mentioned put non-original parts on it. Who cares if the fork is black? Sometime a bike is a charge back. I sold a new Venge to a pro rider that took months to arrive, then it was runover by a forklift at Specialized. E-tap and the other parts were perfect, just the frame was snapped. Sometimes a motor is defective and a bike just sits. That would be a score. Please be safe.

So my wife and I were out last Sat starting off on a beautiful day of riding when a guy stopped at a red light decided to go right on red, right into me as I was about to go in front of him. (It was a one way street he was pulling out of) I was not hurt, the car was moving slow and really just hit my front wheel, but that in turn toppled the bike and I. Just got a quote from my LBS that it will cost $1030 to fully repair… except the front forks and possibly other parts are nowhere to found. (I’ve been paid by the drive for this today) Specialized said they most likely wouldn’t be available until March 2022. On top of that, we’ve got a few e-bike vacations planned this year.
One thought is to try and buy a new Como 2 and move all the mods off the original bike on to it and then maybe try to sell the remaining parts.
What do you guys think?

View attachment 90437

What do you guys think?

View attachment 90437
I would buy a 2021 Como 4 if you can find one. My wife and I replaced our 2019 Como 2's with 2021 Como 4's & 5's and really notice a difference. The larger batteries have eliminated range anxiety, the motors are noticably more powerful, we got fenders and lights too. Overall the new bikes are smoother, quieter and more pleasant to ride. We stuck with Como versus Vado because we like the more upright riding position.

I agree, just slap a new fork on there for 250 and a new tire for same and go forth. Probably an upgrade actually.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 90437

Holy cow!!!

Glad you're okay, that's not a fun day for anyone!

From my history in motorcycles I'd make the insurance replace the entire bike. An accident that significant to do that to the fork, who knows what damage the frame could have sustained. Last thing you need to do is have the headtube welds fail while riding. Any shop should be able to make a repair ticket claiming the damaged parts and their professional opinion against continuing to use the bike out of concern for your safety (that's assuming they feel the same way I do which is a bit of a reach, but I think you get the point).

If that's not in the cards for whatever reason, as others have stated, you can certainly find a fork to replace. Finding a Como 2.0 fork in that particular green might be tough. Those Como 2.0's where leftover back in 2019 so there should be some floating around RE spare parts. You need to make sure the fork steer is long enough and the measurements for the fork rake and axle/crown length is close to the same.

Back