Commuting ebike in the middle of nowhere

Are you and there 1 mile rider fully able? It’s funny if another rider is not?
I couldn’t pedal a mile. eBikes gave me the ability to keep my legs in motion but reduce the pressure and ensuing pain. I could probably make the mile blasted on Rx pain meds but that isn’t a life for me.
Pretty great that you have an eBike , or there would be no rides for you at all. They tell me aging beats the alternative, so we will all have some medical issue eventually.
I and my wife both can ride a conventional bike, but we would not do so regularly, even for a short commute. But having the eBikes available means they get used.

I decided to try out the RadRover 6. It seems to have the most torque, so should do best with hills. I also live near a lot of woods so there is potential to try out dirt trails. I was on the fence due to the fat tires, but ultimately realized that RadRover is the biggest bike Rad Power has, and since I am a big dude I want a big bike. They do have a 2 week return policy so I will see how I like it.

Mid-drive seems a little bit too intimidating for me. Maybe if all goes well with the bike I might make another purchase few years down the line.

I decided to try out the RadRover 6. It seems to have the most torque, so should do best with hills. I also live near a lot of woods so there is potential to try out dirt trails. I was on the fence due to the fat tires, but ultimately realized that RadRover is the biggest bike Rad Power has, and since I am a big dude I want a big bike. They do have a 2 week return policy so I will see how I like it.

Mid-drive seems a little bit too intimidating for me. Maybe if all goes well with the bike I might make another purchase few years down the line.
Sounds like you are on your way. I don't find middrives intimidating, they seem like a normal bike (with much stronger legs). Cadence assist is intimidating b/c of all the settings 😳.

bottle holder
Many bikes do not come with bottle bosses, like this purple Public. You can put a VersaMount anywhere for a cage or just use a cupholder. The green bike is an eight speed I made yesterday with a powerful torque sensor, coaster brake, and an extra-strong e-chain.

Attachments

• PurplePublic.JPG
    PurplePublic.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 149
  • cupholder.JPG
    cupholder.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Hands.JPG
    Hands.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 154

Intimidating and expensive. I get it.
That's the route I went (hub drive first). In my own case, with my size and the hills I was dealing with here (that often had both me AND the bike panting at the top of a big hill), I ended up replacing the motor with a MUCH bigger hub drive (MAC 12t), and that allowed us to climb anything with ease. Noteworthy though, with 315lbs aboard, my bikes are dragging around a bit more weight than usual. In my case, I was wanting another bike after riding this one for 4 years, so the decision was made to go for it with just about the most power available, and a mid drive. Knowing it would be used frequently, cost was not the issue it once was....

If the RadRover 6 is anything like it's predecessors, there are some aftermarket options available to pep that bike up a bit if you find yourself down on power....
See: https://boltonebikes.com/pages/radrover-upgrades

I think your choice is fine as long as you find the bike to be comfortable. I wouldn't trade my mid drive for a Rad, but for sure a hub drive at half the price makes more practical sense as a commuter. I've never seen much point in having a throttle either...until I fractured my thumb and haven't been able to ride my middrive since I can't shift.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself taking the long way home before long!

Rad seems like a safe choice if you are going to have to deal direct anyway. They are popular enough to have a better resale value than a generic Chinese bike, and less expensive than an LBS bike .

That maybe both blessing and curse because they are probably theft magnets for that. But you'll need to lock up any eBike .

I think bike theft was a big problem on campus and downtown where I lived there. Still true, I bet.

Perhaps I have overestimated how hilly the area is. I was talking from a perspective of riding up it using a regular bike. In all honesty, it is not bad, and the hills are not terribly long either. I do not think the hills will be a huge problem.

So what I am understanding is: Mid-drives are stronger and better for hills but due to that power, the components deteriorate quicker. Thus they require more care, and are generally more expensive.

Perhaps this might not be the best type of a bike to start with then, if it requires maintenance I do not know how to do.

@indianajo Do note, that Rad and Aventon are popular here. Hence more people have them, hence more issues are being reported. That might not mean they have more issues on average. However, I do like the idea of buying it from a big manufacturer like giant. However, they are pretty costly. Rize MD is cheaper than Giant ROAM yet rize is 750W vs 250W. Also again, no dealerships near me. I live in State College quite far from all.
If you can get to the top riding a non electric bike then any Ebike can easily do it with pedal assist. Odds are whatever bike you choose, you're going to throw a few hundred more into it right away for things like racks, bags, more comfortable seat, suspension seat post, rear view mirrors etc. so figure that into your budget. I have a couple of Rad Power bikes and have been very happy with them.

Rad seems like a safe choice if you are going to have to deal direct anyway. They are popular enough to have a better resale value than a generic Chinese bike, and less expensive than an LBS bike .

That maybe both blessing and curse because they are probably theft magnets for that. But you'll need to lock up any eBike .

I think bike theft was a big problem on campus and downtown where I lived there. Still true, I bet.
In State college? I always assumed the crime here is very rare. After all, it's mostly college students... I am planning on leaving my bike for long times unattended, but always in very public spaces (near food hall/Gym) and of course with a good kryptonite lock. I chose this one: "Kryptonite Evolution Mini Integrated 10mm Chain Bicycle Lock." You kind of got me worried a little here

leaving my bike for long times unattended
You might want to consider a bike with an easily removable battery. If you can take the battery with you, that drops the attraction for a thief. They would then have a history of looking for a replacement battery and it would increase the cost to them, not just the risk. With things like portable angle grinders and metal saws, any lock or bike rack can be cut. Better to use a bike locker and lock it inside that. Or park by a campus security kiosk or police station.
1643583497442.png

You might want to consider a bike with an easily removable battery. If you can take the battery with you, that drops the attraction for a thief. They would then have a history of looking for a replacement battery and it would increase the cost to them, not just the risk. With things like portable angle grinders and metal saws, any lock or bike rack can be cut. Better to use a bike locker and lock it inside that. Or park by a campus security kiosk or police station.
View attachment 113059
I will keep the battery with me/in my office. That is for certain. Unfortunately no security or police stations near me. I will see if there is a nice parking space with cameras nearby.

In State college? I always assumed the crime here is very rare. After all, it's mostly college students... I am planning on leaving my bike for long times unattended, but always in very public spaces (near food hall/Gym) and of course with a good kryptonite lock. I chose this one: "Kryptonite Evolution Mini Integrated 10mm Chain Bicycle Lock." You kind of got me worried a little here
Not trying to worry you, State College is still a very safe place for a major university, but it is a major university, and bike theft goes with university territory.
I know very little about locks, but there are several threads about locks here .
When I lived in State College, I didn't even have to lock my car since I was living away from campus, but there were many reports of bikes stolen then. And electric bikes didn't even exist then.

Good for battery removal. My problem with cameras is that with masks, hats and sunglasses and things like reversible jackets they do not prevent the problem, they only allow you to reexperience the trauma after the fact. And if you tag it then all your movements are tracked. Another option is to make the bike highly identifiable and unique. Here is one others have seen that is one of a kind. I just rode it to make a house call regarding a solar electric pedal buggy for four. That guy was also just given an eight speed handmade Polish IGH with a chromoly lugged frame and a Brooks saddle with leather grips and wants to convert it. That bike looks like 1959 but it is a mint 2019, ridden once for drinks at a Yacht Club in Belvedere, CA and couldn't make the hill back home.
1643589725946.png

Attachments

• UnionJack14.JPG
    UnionJack14.JPG
    823.1 KB · Views: 145
Wow! A better picture? I’d often like to zoom in on your great builds.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a nice commuting ebike. I have a mile walk to work which I want to travel by bike everyday. The route is extremely hilly, which what I have been told, calls for at least 500W bike. I do not think I am planning on using it off road, so I do not think mountain bike is necessary. I am about 6'3"-6'4" 220 pounds. So I need a big bike that can handle a big person. I have back issues so something comfy would be great. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I read that you should pick bikes that have retailers near you, for repairs, but I live in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. So no such retailers exist. There is however, a bike repair shop so I am not too worried about that. From conglomeration of reviews I have read, it seems that RadPower and Aventon are good brands at a price point I am looking for (3k at most, but I would really like to keep it below 2.5k).

The three bikes I sort of am looking at are:
Pace 500/Level (Aventon)
Radcity 4

Any other recommendations or comments on my choices would be great.
Thank you!
At that price point you should be able to look a Giant,Trek, Specialized and many others as your not looking emtb or high end road bike. So do your self a favor and check out some of the ones that have actual shops(yes I no they don't have shops in your area).

To amplify on some of the excellent points above on mid drive maintenance: Most of the horror stories you hear about wear on a mid come from either a bad choice of donor bike, which results in misaligned chains (which in turn makes the chain a chain saw on gear teeth). People being people, the blame goes onto the equipment and not the loose nut holding the wrench. A proper DIY build with careful attention to detail, and purchase of properly durable components, AND smart riding, will result in no noticeable wear increase. Zero. Zilch. Nada. @DaveMatthews pointed out he has a chain with no appreciable wear after 1000 miles. I just removed one that was at 1600 miles - also no measurable wear and the only reason I took it off was because I did a complete rear drivetrain change (new derailleur, bigger cluster) and wanted a fresh chain to wear into fresh cogs. My gigantic Surly Big Fat Dummy with its 1750w BBSHD and 210-link chain also shows no signs of wear and I have right about 1400 miles on it right now. My Bullitt just crossed 1400 miles and ... same story. The chain gauge (backed up by caliper measurements) shows no wear.

For chain maintenance, I take a sock and a bottle of Rock and Roll and coat/wipe the chain every couple of weeks. If its making noise I wipe it down. Thats about it. Maybe take a screwdriver to scrape the gunk off the rear cogs and derailleur pulleys once or twice a year, too.

In terms of maintenance on a mid drive, I have seven of them right now (six BBSHDs and one Cyc X1) and only one BBSHD has developed a squeak that is likely a bearing inside that has gone dry or was never lubed (its a low mileage motor). I need a free Saturday and sufficient motivation to take it apart and grease that bearing. Other than that, conventional wisdom is you can do more harm than good taking a motor apart and greasing the bejesus out of it. I did that with my first couple of BBSHDs and then, upon hearing that 'leave it alone' advice from Luna, have done just that since and no issues.

Without question, a mid requires a level of attention to detail that a hub does not. If Grandma needs an ebike that she never has to mess with, and I don't want her going too fast, I'm going to give her a DD hub.

Back