Commuter Log

I always charge inside although lately I've been conscious of waiting for the battery to warm up before plugging it in after a 14 miles in freezing temperatures.

This is what is said on the battery university pages:

"Li‑ion batteries offer reasonably good charging performance at cooler temperatures and allow fast-charging in a temperature bandwidth of 5 to 45°C (41 to 113°F). Below 5°C, the charge current should be reduced, and no charging is permitted at freezing temperatures. During charge, the internal cell resistance causes a slight temperature rise that compensates for some of the cold. With all batteries, cold temperature raises the internal resistance.

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a subfreezing charge. The plating is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are known to be more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers, such as those made by Cadex, prevent charging Li-ion below freezing.

Manufactures continue to seek ways to charge Li-ion below freezing and low-rate charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells; however, it is outside the specified (and tested) limits of most manufacturers’ products. Low-temperature charging would need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis and would be manufacturer and application dependent. According to information received from university research centers, the allowable charge rate at –30°C (–22°F) is 0.02C. At this low current, a 1,000mAh Li-ion could only charge at 20mA, and this would take more than 50 hours to reach full charge."

We have been under a constant spree of snowstorms since middle of January. As such I haven't biked for over a month. There is not enough shoulder on the roads, the spot where I usually park and lock my bike has 5 feet of snow and is inaccessible. :) It's not happening.

On the bright side, I have now skied every day for the past 14 days, every weekend and every Wednesday since November :)

And on the other coast at about the same latitude, we've been been having a spring like winter, no skiing in the mountains but lots of riding. I got the Turbo S for the rainy cold commutes but its mostly been dry-ish.

Here on the south coast (60.21N, 24.98E) we're having a mellow 39F with almost all the snow gone already. Being February, this can of course change and suddenly we'll have 50 cm snow.

Last edited:
The state I live in is about to get hit by Category 5 cyclone, but hopefully should slow down to about 100km/h winds when it hits my city..
no commuting today.. ;)

Getting back on the road this week. Projected 'first commute' day is Thursday. The snow is abating and the spot where I park the bike at work is almost accessible. I would have been on the road last week already but I also have some business requirements this month until Wednesday to drive the car and be present at meetings that are way too far for a bicycle.

Yesterday we hopped on fat bikes and got our legs tired :) it was great.

I feel that I have improved my biking legs overall to a point that this year I am considering mixing regular bike in my commute routine. Since I really love the geometry of my Turbo (compared to other bikes I have) I have purchased a 2015 Specialized Sirrus which appears to have similar geometry to my Turbo. This is the bike I will try riding to work this year.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'll be mixing Turbo and Sirrus for the commutes. Somehow I feel that 30 miles almost every day is not sustainable for just regular bike (that assumption was correct for last season) but who knows ...

Yeah so I do have to fess up that I got the best model of the Sirrus. It's red. I'm a sucker, I know but I did get pretty sweet discount to take the bait.

Last edited:
I switched my studded tires today for the original Turbo tires. Spring fever. I'm not sure if this is a great idea but I wiped/washed the frame and the wheels with the aid of a silicone spray. It looks almost like new. Let's ride.

I've also put on summer tires, even though there are still occasional snow storms. I still have my backup studded normal bike for the bad weathers. Today I almost fell because of some muddy crud from on the street side. The slicks have absolutely no traction on anything but dry asphalt.

speaking of removing the rear wheel. I'm sort of annoyed by the two tiny parts that go on the each side of the wheel. The part with the 'hook' that needs to be in the right position with respect to the electrical plug and the 'cup' insert that goes in inverted. When doing a flat tire repair in rain or at night or in surroundings with a lot of distraction I always worry about losing them, misplacing them ... I wish the rear wheel was as simple as the front wheel.

The 'hook" should be held in place on the axle by a small hex head set screw. Most likely the screw is loose and has not fallen out. The hook keeps the wheel rolling instead of the axle spinning by resisting the motor torque. It took a couple of tire changes before I looked at it more carefully and saw the set screw.

I haven't seen any screws. The hook will immediately fall off if wheel is placed on its left side. I have almost lost it a couple of times already. Maybe I have to take another look to see it there indeed is a screw there.

The rain was waiting for me. At 5am I listened to nothing. Just a daybreak rolling in. At 6AM outside on the porch there was nothing. Just some funny gray skies. I got on my bike and after 1 mile I got my first splash. It wasn't a downpour but after 14 miles of 'Drinking and Biking' coupled with a nice cake of winter sand I arrived at work like a schnitzel ready to fry.

On the way to work, chain dropped twice. I had traveled less than 4 miles. I really need to dig up my chain cutting tool and try to shorten it. On the bright side my technique putting back the chain is improving and getting faster.

this morning it was still hovering around the freezing mark. The ride was still awesome. Life is good. :)

Back