Colder weather clothing

Couldn’t agree more....
Gore-Tex was a game changer to be sure, not as big a one as producers and retailers would like us to believe but a big improvement, Dyneema is next. Gore-Tex isn't as durable as older materials, way more expensive, harder to construct garments from, but worth every cent if the item is designed and produced right. For jackets, the pit-zips are the key. The wicking base layers are what impresses me so much. I have been wearing long sleeve shirts while riding all summer in 80s and 90, almost 3000 miles since April and haven't been over-heated once. When I start feeling "hot" while riding I stop, drink a lot of water, and wait a few minutes. My temperature starts to rise and I sweat more with no wind. When I start riding again it's surprisingly smile-inducing cool. The evaporation out of the shirt is great, and with no sweat running down my back. So much better than anything with cotton.

There was a large thread about all aspects of winter e-cycling a year ago...

Multiple clothing layers and good gloves are one thing. There are several critical parts of human body to protect as well. What is especially important to me is:
  • Neck, cheeks, nose: tubular hood or a balaclava
  • Eyes: Can't imagine riding without clear goggles (the ones designed to fit the prescription glasses)
  • Head and ears: Snowboarding helmet
  • Feet: Winter boots and electrically heated socks
I was able to ride through the whole last Polish winter (except of December) but I admit it was a mild one (the temps never below 0 C / 32 F and no snow really). What was extremely nasty was the wind. Bear in mind, e-bikes move rather fast, and that contributes to the wind cooling effect.

Here, in the heavy body protection gear I was able to amass:

1600838816016.png

Even heavier clothing (thick gloves removed for the photo):
1600838990754.png

The frustrating thing was I needed to spend a lot of time to put all the clothes on before each ride:
1600839277637.png

I’m finding it interesting that as the weather gets cooler here, I am layering up for biking in a similar way that I do for sailing. Lightweight technical shirts, possibly adding a fleece, then a rain or wind shell that is breathing (Arcteryx). For heavier weather I have a Gill offshore hooded jacket that is Gore-Tex lined and carries reflective tape. Interesting that there are similar characteristics in some of the clothing for cycling, skiing and sailing. Breathability, longer back panels, zippered vents. Anyone have a favourite brand or article of cycling clothing for colder weather? I’m going to need to investigate gloves.

Please read this thread. This has been covered in great detail before ...

I would also add that bar mitts are more effective than most winter gloves.

Ravi's Trekking S Rx Commuter.jpg

View attachment 66286
That was a very very good thread. I learned a lot by reading that.

Stay dry, stay comfortable, but I just can't do neon colors, I can't do it. They give me headaches. My rain-skin, pants, and rain-pants are all black. The helmet I wear has magnetic visors (clear/tinted) that works well all year round, day and night. Hit the visor a few times a year with Rain-X and no fog regardless of temperature. Keep the rain off 1/2 or my face. I wouldn't want anything more substantial. Snow-boarding helmets are designed to protect in harder and more likely impacts not to be warmer. I don't like a large bunch or wad of material around my neck either, thin neck-gators work well. I like to have full mobility and range of movement while riding. If I get that cold I just put the hood up on my hard-shell, zip it up tight, and put the helmet on top.

View attachment 66286
Thanks Ravi, I will read that.

There was a large thread about all aspects of winter e-cycling a year ago...

That thread should get pinned to the top of the General discussion every September. :)

I ride recreationally so I don't have to be out riding when it's horrible weather.
Head: balaclava under helmet, I tend to prefer the mid weight ones with nice elasticity
Hands: I use the winter gloves I use on my motorcycle, IXS brand , Goretex and lightly insulated ($20 at Iron Pony.com)
Torso: wicking shirt topped by a fleece top (thickness varies on temperature) and a windbreaking jacket over it. I use a military Goretex parka as outer layer when it's colder than 35F
Pants: from sweatpants to stretch jeans to lightly insulated snow pants. My legs usually don't get cold because I pedal actively.
Feet: something leather, sneakers or work boots and appropriate socks.

I ride year round, just like on my motorcycle (New Jersey). Go out and ride but make the rides shorter.

Don't forget eyewear. Don't freeze your eyeballs!

I ride recreationally so I don't have to be out riding when it's horrible weather.
It's not brain surgery, is it? Learn to stay dry at whatever your level of activity is, and then vary the thermal layer to keep you warm enough to keep going. The gear people use varies from year to year with some minor improvements here and there, but it's the same as it's been for double-digit decades now. With an ebike, riders can get away with a plastic $5 rain jacket if they want, just make sure you don't over-heat and start to sweat. It doesn't take much money to stay warm and dry unless you want it to. Stay safe.

For gloves a pair of the suede leather with thinsulate. Tear out the thinsulate and use a pair of wool gloves as liners. Warm and they breath.

otherwise merino wool, cashmere, or some type of wool everywhere else.

For gloves a pair of the suede leather with thinsulate. Tear out the thinsulate and use a pair of wool gloves as liners. Warm and they breath.

otherwise merino wool, cashmere, or some type of wool everywhere else.
I have leather gloves with me when I am riding but they are seldom what I wear while riding and never in the rain even when heavily waterproofed.

here in portland or you don't know what the weather will be like it can be Fine then start raining in the middle of a ride or rain on the ride home from work but not in the morning or anything in-between. so now I carry a extra pannier with my rain gear and soon winter gear. I har=te wearing rain gear so I save it till I have to wear it.

A top I like to wear is a hoodie style made out of wool. It has zippers up each side so when it gets hot I can unzip and breath, has two breast pockets inside, an outside lower large pocket, and the hood can be pulled down around the face to keep wind out. It is warm and breaths and can handle quite a bit of rain. It's called an Anorak. Another thing I like is the sleeves are long so when you're stretched out on the bars your wrists aren't exposed.

https://weatherwool.com is the company. Here is how they make their stuff, it is interesting. https://weatherwool.com/pages/weaving

It's expensive, but it's all made in the U.S.A.

A top I like to wear is a hoodie style made out of wool. It has zippers up each side so when it gets hot I can unzip and breath, has two breast pockets inside, an outside lower large pocket, and the hood can be pulled down around the face to keep wind out. It is warm and breaths and can handle quite a bit of rain. It's called an Anorak. Another thing I like is the sleeves are long so when you're stretched out on the bars your wrists aren't exposed.

https://weatherwool.com is the company. Here is how they make their stuff, it is interesting. https://weatherwool.com/pages/weaving

It's expensive, but it's all made in the U.S.A.
for that price it should be made from redheaded virgins all by hand (G)

Biking now is like skiing in the 70s... lots of emphasis on looks, style, and flash over function, durability, and affordability. Very similar to me to people that own several bikes and don't ride much. <golf clap>

I've watched their stuff go up over the years, a few back it was a couple hundred dollars less. And they are sold out of everything and have been for quite a while, but supposed to be restocking this fall. It is nice stuff, no comparison to whatever else is out there.

Back