Charging SL internal battery via range extender?

gerwitz

Region
Europe
I live on a high floor and thus need to be able to charge my bike indirectly via a removable battery. Some systems like Mahle's will top-up an internal battery via a "range extender" external battery, while others treat them as independent power sources which would make the internal battery useless dead weight for me.

Despite a lot of reading about the SL system and Mission Control, I cannot figure out how Specialized's system behaves, here. If I buy a Como SL but only ever charge a range extender, will that mean the internal battery is useless to me?

Pretty sure the answer is yes. I think you can drain internal and RE together or separately when both are on the bike and I know you can use the RE by itself with no internal battery in the bike. But you can't charge the internal via the RE. May I suggest you get two RE batteries and sell off your internal to someone who might want a spare?

If you store your bike in a secure location with no AC power available, you could use a portable battery/inverter to power the OEM charger. There are many such units on the market.
I sometimes use this one from DeWalt:

I have a supply of DeWalt batteries for my tools that I use with the power station.

I live on a high floor and thus need to be able to charge my bike indirectly via a removable battery. Some systems like Mahle's will top-up an internal battery via a "range extender" external battery, while others treat them as independent power sources which would make the internal battery useless dead weight for me.

Despite a lot of reading about the SL system and Mission Control, I cannot figure out how Specialized's system behaves, here. If I buy a Como SL but only ever charge a range extender, will that mean the internal battery is useless to me?
You can set the Turbo SL system via the Specialized Mission Control app to use a Range Extender battery first but you cannot charge the main battery with a RE battery. It depends on your proposed use as to how often the main battery would need to be recharged. It is also probably possible to have the main battery shop removed and just use a couple of RE batteries like people do for travel with the Creo or Vado SL. Two RE batteries are approximately the same as the main battery. Only one RE can be charged at a time per charger. The Y cable only works with a main battery and a RE battery but not two RE batteries.

You can get some idea of how it works on their support page.

Back