Charging Ebikes on EV Charging stations

I agree with @Readytoride 100%, if they were meant for bikes they would have adapters to suit and not have people making up their own systems which could end up causing a fire....

I agree with @Readytoride 100%, if they were meant for bikes they would have adapters to suit and not have people making up their own systems which could end up causing a fire....
No worries, just don't do it. I am not advertising anything here - just sharing my own experience. This is actually what forums are for btw.

P.S. I didn't do my own system - I purchase one adapter and use official charger to use it. No need to tinker with wires here. And probability of causing fire here is pretty much same as if you charge from home.

Whether or not an e-bike can be considered an EV and therefore legally able to use a charging station is debatable.

My point in Post #6 was simply to say that all this controversy can be avoided by adding a standard 110V outlet on these charging stations. The idea of the feds spending billions on the proliferation of these stations is to promote the use of EV's. Why not add the 110V outlets to promote the use of e-bikes as well? Albeit on a far lesser scale, doesn't this also contribute to the ultimate goal of reducing the number of gas powered vehicles on the road?

Whether or not an e-bike can be considered an EV and therefore legally able to use a charging station is debatable.

My point in Post #6 was simply to say that all this controversy can be avoided by adding a standard 110V outlet on these charging stations. The idea of the feds spending billions on the proliferation of these stations is to promote the use of EV's. Why not add the 110V outlets to promote the use of e-bikes as well? Albeit on a far lesser scale, doesn't this also contribute to the ultimate goal of reducing the number of gas powered vehicles on the road?
I actually think there are few reasons they don't do it:
1. They don't care much about non-cars in general and don't consider e-bikes a big deal (even if numbers they they are). I doubt there is a voice out there who mention e-bikes and micro-mobility when they planning to spent those billions.
2. They don't want to make regular outlet to prevent using chargers for non-charging activities (i.e. someone connects laptop charger and sits there whole day, etc).

I think the real change may happen when more e-bikes will have built-in interface to charge from EV chargers.

I have ebikes and an EV am on the EV side here. It's a neat hack if the charger is unused but bikes should defer to cars in this.

Do you need to charge there or is it just free electricity? Especially with 2 batteries on your bike that's a lot of range.

Ideally though they should add an outlet on the back for bikes and scooters or even a Bosch fast charger to get most of the name brand e bikes.

2. They don't want to make regular outlet to prevent using chargers for non-charging activities (i.e. someone connects laptop charger and sits there whole day, etc).
I know that I would move my home office to a parking lot or service road to get free laptop charging 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: rtp
Thank you,
Good info to know etc.
I was prowling around on the www and I read on some brand of Ebike, (can't find the info right now,) actually stated that their brand of Ebike could be charged via 120v or the 240v option, in the charging section, of their user manual.

All the chargers should work on either AC voltage but the output will be the same. The Level 2 J1442 chargers are 220 volts. I would have to look at the spec again but you might be able to tell them to use 110 but for a bike charger it won't make a difference.

Do you need to charge there or is it just free electricity? Especially with 2 batteries on your bike that's a lot of range.
I don't know if you read my initial post, but the reason I did this is listed there under separate goal section. Yes, I have two batteries setup and I am using them for longer touring rides. Right now I am mostly focusing about 40-60 miles, but really want to start doing 100+ miles. For this distance I may need to re-charge and EV stations, which are mapped (unlike regular outlets) can be a convenience spot to do this (so I can plan the tour accordingly). It is nothing to do with free electricity or something like that.

It's a neat hack if the charger is unused but bikes should defer to cars in this.
Aren't they work on first come - first serve basis? Their status is shown in app, there is 2 hours limit per session, so if I happened to come there when charging was free, why can't I take it for 2 hours? Why cars should have priority here?

I don't know if you read my initial post, but the reason I did this is listed there under separate goal section. Yes, I have two batteries setup and I am using them for longer touring rides. Right now I am mostly focusing about 40-60 miles, but really want to start doing 100+ miles. For this distance I may need to re-charge and EV stations, which are mapped (unlike regular outlets) can be a convenience spot to do this (so I can plan the tour accordingly). It is nothing to do with free electricity or something like that.

Aren't they work on first come - first serve basis? Their status is shown in app, there is 2 hours limit per session, so if I happened to come there when charging was free, why can't I take it for 2 hours? Why cars should have priority here?
If you prefer to be obtuse... That's your choice.
You are using a charging station for a use it was not designed for or implemented for by the use of an illegal, not UL listed device.

If you prefer to be obtuse... That's your choice.
You are using a charging station for a use it was not designed for or implemented for by the use of an illegal, not UL listed device.
Thanks, didn't ask for advice here. Not sure why do you even care to come to this thread if you consider this unsafe and unlawful. I don't, so I shared my experience with others who agree with me.

Thanks, didn't ask for advice here. Not sure why do you even care to come to this thread if you consider this unsafe and unlawful. I don't, so I shared my experience with others who agree with me.
Obtuse it is

Wow. You don't get it, do you? EV chargers are put in place for (drum roll....) EV charging, not for anyone who needs a "convenient" source of power.
To think that you feel entitled because it's more convenient, in your mind, because of mapping of EV chargers, than finding a regular AC outlet, is rather remarkable. That you don't understand the pushback is even more remarkable.
JMHO.

I have one of these J1772 adapters myself. But its a last resort for the obvious reasons stated above.

You don't need a special EU charger to access these. Most chargers support auto-switching from the USA standard to most anywhere else. Reason is simple: Charger manufacturers want to make one unit they can sell anywhere. If you read the label you will see this. Here's one from one of mine:

pxl_20220313_204826634-1-e1648514021461[1].jpg

It will accept voltage ranging from 100v to 240v while operating up to 3.5a and can even take up to 277v at a lower 1.45a. You will find similar labels on all power bricks - not just chargers. You may need a magnifying glass to read them but they are there.

Here is something else I carry with me:
612-rcqvb5l._ac_sl1280_-e1648512914881[1].jpg

If you want to ask someone to use their AC plug (any vendor with a machine hooked up outdoors), this lets you share whatever it is they have plugged in and not ask to disconnect it and put your bike in its place.

I actually think there are few reasons they don't do it:
1. They don't care much about non-cars in general and don't consider e-bikes a big deal
There are a considerable number of commuters who have given up their cars and ride e-bikes instead. A few posters here do this.

There are a considerable number of commuters who have given up their cars and ride e-bikes instead. A few posters here do this.
I do this for a year already and that's why I except some parity with the cars in some aspects (including access to EV chargers or dedicated charging ability when required). But majority still consider bikes/e-bikes as things for fun only, which is completely not true.

The Society for the Perpetually Offended (SPO) is constantly looking for new reasons to get their knickers in a twist. If you lack a sense of humor, take almost everything literally, and are hungering to be the center of attention even though you have nothing to contribute, you may be a natural for SPO!
As a special treat the annual SPO search for a new reason for being offended is coming up. Come up with a new, creative, and hitherto unknown hidden insult to a group or individual and you could win the annual 10K Grand Prize!!

This is such a big waste.

Around 200miles tops range for an electric car NEEDS about 60-70KWH !!!! About 40-50$. Maybe it's 150$ in Europe as we speak....

All mostly with 1 PASSENGER in the car...

A 200mile range on an ebike needs about 2-3KWH !! About 0.45$. Also with 1 passenger.

As the owner of an EV, I would be annoyed if I had to wait for an ebiker to bootleg power from a charging station that was designed for cars. My luck he would short circuit the charging station and leave me with more range anxiety!

As the owner of an EV, I would be annoyed if I had to wait for an ebiker to bootleg power from a charging station that was designed for cars. My luck he would short circuit the charging station and leave me with more range anxiety!
Roads are only for cars, parking is only for cars, charging is only for cars, country is only for cars! So much wasted opportunities for US with this crazy car-centric mindset.

Roads are only for cars, parking is only for cars, charging is only for cars, country is only for cars! So much wasted opportunities for US with this crazy car-centric mindset.
I ride ebikes and drive an ecar. I charge my ebike at home or find a plug and use my ebike charger. I have found a couple of restaurants/taverns that let me bring my bike inside and charge using my quick charger. Is that unreasonable? Maybe the EV charging stations will morph into a combo EV/Ebike set up but for right now they are designed for cars. I'm not sure if the charging stations that you are using are designed for bike charging.

Back