Charger Needed for my Hydra Fatty

Cuz Vinny

BC9B14E3-7F0B-42F2-971B-3831B327831A.jpeg

Need a charger that works with this port. My other Hydra has a small single hole for the charge port. Would like one that works with both bikes. Suggestions?

The connector is called an ST3
Thank you for posting the name of this connector! I'm pleasantly surprised to find it rated for 15 amps!

I called WW and Gregg wrote me up an invoice for a 3 amp charger for $50. No complaints here, but it is not programmable so it will charge to 100% and hold it. I just needed a travel charger I could fit in my bag, the 10 amp charger that came with my bike is a monster.

Who charges at 15A!?
someone with a bigass battery! I've got a 60V/15A/300W programmable bench supply that doubles as a smart charger for up to 14p packs at about 5A max - basically set it for constant current mode at 4A and end with constant voltage mode to about 56.8V (-150mV per cell). I need to consult my cells' spec sheet again but I'm scared to charge more than 1A/parallel group for longetivity - I think recommended for 1000 cycle lifespan is at 0.2C charge rate which works out to 0.9A/cell. I want to baby my packs though and make sure I'm not charging too fast for any balancing that needs to take place (should be super minimal though) - between that and keeping the max voltage lower I can probably get 1500-2000 cycles before capacity is 80%

Luckily my new neighborhood has tons of hills is on a mountain so I can quickly discharge packs to 40-50% to store them at until the night/day before a ride

Sure, but how many BMS on the eBikes common here will allow a charge rate over 5A? They are limited by the BMS. Common advice is to charge below BMS limits. The typical rider doesn’t charge with or have a “60V/15A/300W programmable bench supply!”

Cheers! A 1-2A fan here with BMS limit of 5A. If I’m in a hurry I use 4A. 2 Satiators in my kit.

Last edited:
I'm using 60A BMS's that are common port and rated for 30A charge current - I'm almost positive most separate port BMS's have less than half the rated discharge rate of the BMS and 30A would probably explode my cells anyway ha. Like you said, getting something rated higher than what you demand of it. My UPP battery on my frist ebike came with a super basic 2A charger and the manual states it has a 3A overcurrent protection on the charge rate. Samsung lists 1700mA standard charge current, or 1020mA 'for cycle life' which is actually pretty decent charge rate for a high capacity cell. This puts the UPP pack well below Samsung's rated 1020mA per cell - helluva long charge time but nothing gets even remotely warm so I guess that's good.

I'd love a satiator for ease of use but wanted to keep cost and clutter low for the time being. The bench supply (Multicomp Pro MP710257) can do the same thing and was a little less expensive when I bought it, but without reading the manual or just plugging it into a computer it's not as straight forward to initially setup a profile for charging a battery. Not a huge deal for me but I wish it were as easy as on a dedicated charger. Sometimes my monkey brain gets nervous around electricity so I go back and reread the manual so as to not second guess myself, so really a satiator is still on my list of things I want but don't need

Back