Charger gets very hot while charging. Concerned?

changl

Hi,
When charging my 36V 14Ah 504Wh battery (Schwinn Sycamore), the charger gets very hot after a few hours. I started putting a fan next to the charger to keep it cooler. My question is: do I even need to do this? Has anyone ever had an issue with their charger wearing out from overheating?

Last edited:
Not Good! Most good chargers have a built in fan. Mine does. You don't want it getting hot. Warm is ok but if you can't hold it in your hands it's getting too hot. I would add a fan like you were doing. A little airflow goes a long way.

Not Good! Most good chargers have a built in fan. Mine does. You don't want it getting hot. Warm is ok but if you can't hold it in your hands it's getting too hot. I would add a fan like you were doing. A little airflow goes a long way.
In my experience it's not a quality issue to have a fan, it's the amp rating of the charger that requires a fan. None of my 4amp 36v Bosch chargers have a fan. Of the 7 chargers I have, only the 4 amp, 48v chargers have a fan. I read a lot of stories of chargers failing, I have not experienced one.

changl - Do you believe your charger has a fan that isn't functioning?

Some high quality solid state chargers get quite hot (difficult to hold in the hand) but do not have a fan - the Satiator from Grin Tech, for example.

Mine is a Sans class 2 charger, 42V 2A, no fans.
I think I will keep the fan on for now. Thanks!

It is normal for your charger to get hot. But if you have some extra $$ invest into a charger with integrated fan.
Also try to keep your charger in a safe place where the heat won't create any fire hazard.
I have a smoke detector in my parking lot where I charge my battery.

Mine is a Sans class 2 charger, 42V 2A, no fans.
I think I will keep the fan on for now. Thanks!
It surely won’t hurt to cool any charger, but I use all fanless chargers.

I have 3 chargers with fans. One turned out to have a fuse, but it’s fixture wasn’t soldered to the board, the other two are blue cased multiple option chargers often mentioned. Both had fans replaced and display on one. Only to finally be so unpredictable that they’re shelved. $10 Liitokala 2A fanless from Aliexpress have proved to be great chargers. $10 delivered BTW!
I run small computer tower style fans off the collection of dc power supplies I’ve amassed over the years. I use them to cool load resisters, vent away solder fumes, and my Satiator if I’m pumping out more than 3A
I charge in a latched ammo can with the water seal gasket removed and a smoke alarm close by.

I think Rich C is spot on in not insisting on a fan style. That said it certainly can’t hurt and might take some stress off the charger.

ALWAYS charge when you can monitor or have the pack and charger in a fail safe place.

Hot is an elusive description. How hot?

Back