Changing motor to 750W

Finny

I haven't seen a discussion about this topic so I thought I would start a discussion. Is it possible to upgrade the Lectric XP to a 750W motor instead of the current 500W motor? If so what would be involved and any ideas on cost? In most instances the 500W is adequate but I live in a hilly area in the Northeast and sometimes a little extra help would be useful. Being a bit on the heavy side doesn't help either :)

Not sure what is involved to switch over. I'm curious also. I came across a few youtube reviewers that mentioned that it's important to note that you need to look at all the specs regarding the motor / battery. I believe he said that you could have 2 motors that are both the same 500w but with different specs. One might be wound for speed and the other for more torque. From the sound of your situation, you would probably want more torque. I also heard that the Lectric xp kind of under rates it's 500w motor. Some companies rate their motor based on "peak watts" to make it sound like you are getting more bang for your buck.

It's a hub motor and as such you'd have to pretty much change out the entire back wheel assembly in order to change motors.

The above poster is also correct that Lectric does not claim that 500w is the peak of their motor, whereas some/most ebike companies that list a 750w motor are talking about peak output and as such you might not notice any difference at all after such an 'upgrade'.

Lectric XP is not designed to handle hills if you're anywhere near 200lbs. Mine has all sorts of problems after only a month. Unintended acceleration, intermittent power loss and E008 error code (complete power loss). All connections are good, including throttle (E008) and error code will only go away after a few hours of cooling off. I think either the controller or motor is shot from overheating during uphills. The 800W power only lasts for 10 or 15 seconds then you can feel the extra power go away on steep hills. Shift to the lowest gear and start pedaling hard. I'm also considering 750W upgrade, if available, and not a Frankenstein job. Or just buy a more powerful bike and give this to the kids, once it's fixed. Still waiting to see what Lectric will do to remedy the situation.... 2 weeks counting.

Lectric XP is not designed to handle hills if you're anywhere near 200lbs. Mine has all sorts of problems after only a month. Unintended acceleration, intermittent power loss and E008 error code (complete power loss). All connections are good, including throttle (E008) and error code will only go away after a few hours of cooling off. I think either the controller or motor is shot from overheating during uphills. The 800W power only lasts for 10 or 15 seconds then you can feel the extra power go away on steep hills. Shift to the lowest gear and start pedaling hard. I'm also considering 750W upgrade, if available, and not a Frankenstein job. Or just buy a more powerful bike and give this to the kids, once it's fixed. Still waiting to see what Lectric will do to remedy the situation.... 2 weeks counting.
I feel your pain, I changed my freewheel to an 11/34T and that was a night and day difference for me. Your new lower first gear will let you go up hills more easily assisted. The top end is better no more ghost pedaling at the top end. I can get to 26mph but it takes some work to get there. I am considering changing my crankset to a 58T to get more top-end speed. Also if you chqange your free wheel you need the special socket its $10 from amazon and leave out the spacer on the factory freewheel. PS: What I read is that the motor is a downgraded 750 watt motor. In order to get more power you would have to change out the controller it is limited to 18 watts.

Attachments

• 20200710_143443.jpg
    20200710_143443.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

I weigh close to 200lbs and had the same problem a week and a half ago. My bike showed EOO8 error code and E010 error code as I was riding through very steep hills on and off for about 3-4 hours and did 22 miles. Lectric is shipping me a new controller which I hope will be here next week. Great customer service!

I saw this motor controller on a post a while back on the Lectric forums and wondering if anyone has used it on there Lectric XP. If so would love to know how it handles and all the specs of it on the XP.

I weigh close to 200lbs and had the same problem a week and a half ago. My bike showed EOO8 error code and E010 error code as I was riding through very steep hills on and off for about 3-4 hours and did 22 miles. Lectric is shipping me a new controller which I hope will be here next week. Great customer service!

I saw this motor controller on a post a while back on the Lectric forums and wondering if anyone has used it on there Lectric XP. If so would love to know how it handles and all the specs of it on the XP.

I weigh in at 340 and the gear change is probably the best this bike will do. I saw someone in my facebook group put a 1000watt BBSHD mid-motor and according to him it's great with torque and going up hills.

Lectric XP is not designed to handle hills if you're anywhere near 200lbs.

I agree, and it didn't take long to figure that out. To be fair though the same could be said about any legal hub motor.

I weigh 170, have hills when I leave home, and hills on the way back. I just checked one using google earth to measure it, over a distance of .67 miles I went up 250 feet, an average of 7%, in PAS level 2 I burned over 2 volts in that short distance.

So in order to get the advertised 25 mile minimum range you don't want too many hills in the way.

I'm going back to a mid drive, much, much more efficient use of power. There is a reason that cars have more than one gear.

Just because your bike unfortunately is riddled with problems doesn't mean the bike isn't designed for someone that's 200 lbs for hills. I'm 200 lbs and have no issue with the hills where I live. I just don't expect the bike to whisk me up a hill without me putting any effort in. That's not what it was designed for. It's pedal assist..the throttle is a benefit but does not mean it's a motorbike. I think there's a lot more expected from a $900 bike from some. Yes a mid drive is better and more efficient. And a lot more money. My 113ci motorcycle will go up a hill better than a 250cc scooter will and it cost a lot more consequently.

Lectric bike was my first ebike and I had no idea what a 500-watt bike is capable of. Hills in my area are around 20-25% grade, similar to San Francisco. I'm pedaling hard and sweating like a pig. Throttle only will not move the bike at all, maybe roll backward. I just got a 11-34 gear set Rogue XP suggested and going to put it on this weekend. I also ordered another bike with Bafang Ultra mid-drive as others have suggested and now that I know what 500-watt is capable of I thought 1000-watt should be sufficient 😊. My wife and kid can ride the Lectric bikes since it works fine for them.

Oh, Lectric sent me a new controller and everything is working like new again. It will still shut down after 30 minutes of hills due to overheating but come right back after 30 seconds or so. I need to figure out a way to transfer the controller heat to the bike frame since it can't cool down sitting inside the bike frame. Anyone come up with a creative way to cool the controller?

Lectric bike was my first ebike and I had no idea what a 500-watt bike is capable of. Hills in my area are around 20-25% grade, similar to San Francisco. I'm pedaling hard and sweating like a pig. Throttle only will not move the bike at all, maybe roll backward. I just got a 11-34 gear set Rogue XP suggested and going to put it on this weekend. I also ordered another bike with Bafang Ultra mid-drive as others have suggested and now that I know what 500-watt is capable of I thought 1000-watt should be sufficient 😊. My wife and kid can ride the Lectric bikes since it works fine for them.

Oh, Lectric sent me a new controller and everything is working like new again. It will still shut down after 30 minutes of hills due to overheating but come right back after 30 seconds or so. I need to figure out a way to transfer the controller heat to the bike frame since it can't cool down sitting inside the bike frame. Anyone come up with a creative way to cool the controller?

What brand bike/type did you order? I've been looking for a new mid-drive bike myself.

I am fortunate that in my area the only hills I have to face is occasssionaly a freeway overpass. I did notice the other day I approached an overpass at 25mph, I downshifted to fifth gear and was able to maintain 20 mph pretty easily. I dont have scales here, but I am at the 200lb mark.

You could move the controller and mount it to the frame, that might help with some air cooling ?

Why not just keep the rear motor the way it is and put a motor in the front wheel and make it an all wheel drive beast?

Now THATS an upgrade...

No I am saying there are actual positives to an all wheel drive while you are saying there are none.

Of course, thats my point, if you get another motor in the front of our bikes, you would feel more power and have more climbing power...

is that not what OP wanted?

its 1500W peak nominal, you need to be 750W to be legal in the US
2 x 750W Hub Motors
(1500W nominal, 2 x 1500 watt = 3000 watt peak)

I would think so, more grip=better climbing since you are putting equal force to both tires instead of one you are on equal grounding instead of having the front of the bike weigh less if that makes any sense.

Not sure about the complexity...but I remember seeing a video on youtube on a lectric upgrade that looked pretty nuts with dual motors...

Here it is,

Back