Changing Grip in Vado

Nxkharra

I think I will be changing the grips on my Vado 5 to Ergon G5.
Please share your method of putting the grip on the handlebar.
Alcohol, hairspray, WD40, air,...

The Ergon grips not only don't need to be lubricated. They must not be lubricated at all :) The process is so easy. Will post some photos in a minute.

The Ergon grips not only don't need to be lubricated. They must not be lubricated at all :) The process is so easy. Will post some photos in a minute.

Stephan has got it! Don't put any lube on the bars, just loosen the bolt, slide the grip off and installation is reverse of removal (always hated that from auto manuals). You might want to adjust the ergon grips higher a touch to give you the ability to rest your wrists on them.

EDIT: Stefan, not Stephan, sorry!

How to install an Ergon grip:

1594876653662.png

• Use no lubricant;
  • Slide the grip deeply onto the bar; If the inner part of the grip is coloured, no colour part can be seen anymore;
  • Position the wrist-rest on the horizontal, or get onto the bike and adjust the wrist-rest position to your liking;
  • It is the best to regulate the bar-end angle at the same time. 45 degrees is a good starting point. Holding bar-end from outside should feel like holding a car steering-wheel;
  • Tighten the screw to the specified torque, or manually with some feeling;
  • Note the angle-scale position;
  • Insert the bar-plug so the male inset of the bar-plug matches the notch;
  • Repeat with the other grip, setting it at exactly the same angles.
In my Vado, the GP3 Large grip was too wide to fit the limited space on the handlebars, so I had to slice off a piece of the grip with a sharp knife to make it narrower.

Last edited:
Here is the official Ergon installation guide:

Most important is the right rotation angle to avoid stress with your wrists and take care of your ulnar and median nerve.

Here is the official Ergon installation guide:

Most important is the right rotation angle to avoid stress with your wrists and take care of your ulnar and median nerve.
Great and informative video. Thank you.

If the OEM grips are too tight to slide off I have used compressed air in the opposite end of the handle bar to help push stubborn grips off. As others have posted, don't use lube to install the new grips, except maybe a film of water. A bit of water will help a tight grip slide on and then evaporate leaving the grip snug on the bar.

Be sure to follow the adjustment instructions on the new grips to get the full benefit of their wrist support. Your wrist should be nearly straight when adjusted correctly. The angle of the bar extensions is adjusted separately and is a personal preference.

I just installed the Ergon grips this morning on my 2017 turbo Vado 5, took all of 5 minutes, most of which was ensuring that the position of the grips was identical on both sides. A very nice addition as raising my handlebars has proved to be much more difficult.
IMG_4411.jpeg

I just installed the Ergon grips this morning on my 2017 turbo Vado 5, took all of 5 minutes, most of which was ensuring that the position of the grips was identical on both sides. A very nice addition as raising my handlebars has proved to be much more difficult.
View attachment 59090
Looks very nice. Nice to know how easy is the installation.

View attachment 59090
I do like the Ergon Biokork model grips. We have them on our ebikes and our mechs.

Just installed the Ergon 5's on my 5.0. The thicker grips are worth the upgrade, didn't realize the difference that would make. Would have been nice to have the grips and horns with separate clamping mechanism. Still have to give it two thumbs up for the price.

Just installed the Ergon 5's on my 5.0. The thicker grips are worth the upgrade, didn't realize the difference that would make. Would have been nice to have the grips and horns with separate clamping mechanism. Still have to give it two thumbs up for the price.
The grips and bar ends are separately adjustable, but they do share a single handlebar clamp.

I just used my GP5 on a longer ride. I have the large size and was very comfortable.
I did get a bit of discomfort in my right thumb (my existing issue). I am sure I need to just get used to them.
I also am experimenting with and rotating the angle of the grips.
the horns were a good addition.

I need to find a comfortable fit or o’clock position. Probably something more upright. Then I’ll like them:). Seem pretty wide when using them.
I have the bar ends set almost vertical so when I am tired of bending over the handlebar I can take a break and sit upright for a little.
my issue with the grip is it might be too large for me. Or I also need to find a o’clock position so my palm can sit comfortably on the grip wide section.

I have the bar ends set almost vertical so when I am tired of bending over the handlebar I can take a break and sit upright for a little.
my issue with the grip is it might be too large for me. Or I also need to find a o’clock position so my palm can sit comfortably on the grip wide section.
Think that is what i am going to do, more vertical. I would have preferred the bar ends to be same diameter as the handles.

Think that is what i am going to do, more vertical. I would have preferred the bar ends to be same diameter as the handles.
Was watching a YouTube on the company and they have put in lots of work designing the barends. Don’t know what but must be a reason for the shape.
assume you have large grip size?

Back