Changing Creo SL gearing for the road

Elkman

The Creo Comp Carbon has 11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,36,42T cogs and I have not used a cog larger than the 24T on my rides. I would like to have tighter spacing and have something like 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32T. Has anyone done something like this with their Creo and curious as to any issues that needed to be addressed.

The Creo Comp Carbon has 11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,36,42T cogs and I have not used a cog larger than the 24T on my rides. I would like to have tighter spacing and have something like 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32T. Has anyone done something like this with their Creo and curious as to any issues that needed to be addressed.
Here's what I did. Hopefully it helps you. I have been happy with the results. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...you-need-want-a-higher-gear.37843/post-334661

What is clear as mud is which cassettes can be used with the Shimano RX812 GX derailleur provided on the Creo as this is designed for use with mountain bike cassettes. It appears that to use something like the Shimano CS-HG800 11-speed 11-34T cassette I need the 1.85mm spacer and a new derailleur.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I changed my cassette to an 11-32 Ultegra cassette for my area as I never used to large cogs. Much better. I have the Expert with a DT Swiss 350 rear hub. I did not have to shim for the cassette. Didn't even have to adjust the rear mech. It was a straight swap.

I was running an E13 9 to 34 with a 38 up front. I am in a hilly area and wanted to keep the weight down still, so I have gone with Sram XX1 10 to 42 cassette, which is a bit lighter than e13. On the front, I have swapped to 42 so i know have a 1 to 1 gear for the hills. I am running an Ultegra Di2 8170 rear mech and to make up the extra clearance needed, I have gone with Garbaruk cage. This moves the pivot position of the top jockey wheel to allow more space, but without losing shifting performance like a Wolftooth. Will be with me in the next few days, so will report on how it all works.

I was running an E13 9 to 34 with a 38 up front. I am in a hilly area and wanted to keep the weight down still, so I have gone with Sram XX1 10 to 42 cassette, which is a bit lighter than e13. On the front, I have swapped to 42 so i know have a 1 to 1 gear for the hills. I am running an Ultegra Di2 8170 rear mech and to make up the extra clearance needed, I have gone with Garbaruk cage. This moves the pivot position of the top jockey wheel to allow more space, but without losing shifting performance like a Wolftooth. Will be with me in the next few days, so will report on how it all works.
nice, same setup i have, wolf tooth 42 up front and sram 10-42 in the back. although, i didn’t have to make any changes to the GRX rear mech. love to see a pic with the garbaruk cage!

nice, same setup i have, wolf tooth 42 up front and sram 10-42 in the back. although, i didn’t have to make any changes to the GRX rear mech. love to see a pic with the garbaruk cage!
Will post some pics when all fitted. I am using GS cage Ultegra Di2, hence why I need the Garbaruk cage. The GRX mech I got with the bike was not Di2, but fitted the 9-34 well. Just need a bit more lower gear without losing top end

Got Garbaruk cage today and the fitting to the mech is different. I was seeing if I could pop it on Ultegra 8170, but the cage mount is different, so I have ordered a GRX 817 rear mech instead. The Garbaruk will it that one if I need to go above 42 and any stage

I ended up putting on a Shimano Ultegra CS-800 11-34T cassette which with the included spacer installed with no indexing issues. Also replaced the wide range derailleur with a medium cage Ultegra 11-speed one that has a maximum cog size of 34T. Shifting is flawless.

Not sure if the 11-32T would have been better with tighter spacing at the high end but these have been out of stock for the most part.

I’ve used the Shimano HG800 11-34 cassette from the start, ie, I had my LBS replace the stock 11-42 when I bought it. One thing, the Creo has a mtb hub on the rear wheel, so road bike cassettes will not fit. So, for example, if you use the GRX 11-34 cassette you do not use the rear spacer/shim. Shimano includes it to allow this cassette to be used on road bike hubs.

Last edited:
I needed 1:1 gearing as I like to ride with minimal assist and found the added weight of the Creo and OEM gearing to be too stressful for my knees. I switched to a Garbaruk 11-46 cassette which required only minimal adjustment on the Deore derailleur. So far, seems to work well.

I needed 1:1 gearing as I like to ride with minimal assist and found the added weight of the Creo and OEM gearing to be too stressful for my knees. I switched to a Garbaruk 11-46 cassette which required only minimal adjustment on the Deore derailleur. So far, seems to work well.
Garbaruk are quality and I am really impressed by them. I have the front ring by them at 42t (running SRAM xx1 10/42). Every bit as good as the Absolute Black I swapped it with

The CS-800 11-34T 11-speed cassette included a 2.18mm spacer and that was all that was needed for the Creo hub. Different width spacers are provided for 12, 11, and 10 speed cassettes to insure proper alignment.

Back