change brakes to hydraulic system!

clubby

i want to change my radrover set-thru mechanical brakes to a full hydraulic. has anyone done this? if so what did you use.

I recently ordered a similar product from Amazon called by a variety of branded names, but basically seem to be the same X-Tech item. They range from $35-$50 a pair with the price depending mainly on how fast they will ship it seems. Several colors are available, and they have pretty good reviews. Mine have shipped from China I think, so I don't have an ETA on when I can reasonably expect them, but I will return here to post a quick review and my overall impression of quality and ease of installation. I'm pretty OK with the current brakes on my first Lectric XP, but I was somewhat put off by the single sided pressure on the one pad, and the necessary disc warpage that that creates.

Edited to add a link:

Last edited:
I appreciate the posting. I ordered mine June 19th, through Amazon at $34.24 when a vendor had a flash sale I believe, but quickly bumped the price back up to $47.99. I like the security of Amazons' no hassle return/refund policy but AliExpress is pretty solid. I think mine will actually arrive sooner than the typical China order, as they track as having arrived in the US on 6-27. I'm not in a hurry since my bike won't be here until tomorrow according to FedEx. I at least have my wifes' white XP to fool around on today!

Last edited:
Yeah, to me the ease of returns & refunds with Amazon is worth a few bucks per order. Plus I'm paying for Prime so I might as well use it. The same goes for the 11-28 Freewheel gear set. Amazon has them off & on for $28 and I'm afraid that if I order it from AliExpress I'll get get a cassette style instead of the freewheel I need. Their descriptions of some items can be less than clear at times.

looks like full hydraulic is better
(not surprisingly)
Not really a fair comparison. No doubt the full hydraulic kit will perform better.

That said, the reason he had to squeeze so hard on his X-Tech setup is that the calipers likely have air in them and need to be bled.

Plus his cables are likely gunked up based on how frayed the cable end is at 4:25 in the video.

I know you already ordered your brake kit so it's kinda late now,:confused: but just so you know for the future.:)

I found AliExpress cheaper than Amazon.

$29.50 + $2.60 shipping.
I would not trust my life to these/ no name brand brakes are not a good idea.

They have fallen apart for several users according to reports I see on Facebook forums.

While cable actuated hydraulic calipers are easier to install, the base level Shimano hydraulic system is $89 a pair on ebay. Then one has to fab up a pair of switches for brake cut offs. That's another $20 if one buys magnetic switches.

They have fallen apart for several users according to reports I see on Facebook forums.

While cable actuated hydraulic calipers are easier to install, the base level Shimano hydraulic system is $89 a pair on ebay. Then one has to fab up a pair of switches for brake cut offs. That's another $20 if one buys magnetic switches.
the good ones are about 120 for each caliper. but they are more for using with road brifters.

I put the Zoom calipers on the XP about 800 miles ago and they work great. Next to the Suntour seatpost and airforks, new freewheel, new gear changer, new seat and new stem and handlbars-great upgrade!!

I put the Zoom calipers on the XP about 800 miles ago and they work great. Next to the Suntour seatpost and airforks, new freewheel, new gear changer, new seat and new stem and handlbars-great upgrade!!
I doubt they work great try some good setups then get back to us.

Let my clarify that-they don't squeak and grind like the original mechanicals did and at least I dont have to use my feet and pull a Freddy Flintstone!!
well ya that's an improvement (G) I have a couple e scooters one with e brake only and the other a small disc. bot I have had to sue the fred flinstone method to stop.

Back