Chain coming off

@Jeff185 I adjusted my rear derailer for the first time in my life last night after installing the new cassette. It is possible for someone with zero experience to do this. Just search "How to adjust Shimano rear derailer" on YouTube. Here is what I did step by step:

1. Elevate rear wheel from ground and screw barrel (at end of cable) adjuster on derailer all the way in.
2. Shift into 7 gear.
3. Adjust high (H) screw until the derailer moves slightly outboard (to the right sitting on the bike) of gear 7.
4 Start shifting through the gears from 7 to 6 to 5 and so on. You want no grinding or clicking. Adjust the barrel adjuster until shifting is smooth.
5. Shift into gear 1 and adjust the low (L) screw until the derailer is slightly outboard of gear 1. You want to make it impossible for it to shift past gear 1 and end up in between the cassette and spokes.
6. Finally adjust the B screw on the back of the derailer. This will adjust the proximity of the derailer to the cassette. You want it as close as possible to the cassette without interfering. This will insure quick shifts and long life of components.
7. Double or triple check everything to make sure that every gear works correctly and stays engaged. It really is trail and error! It took me maybe 10 minutes to go from grinding, skipping gears to a flawless setup.

Note: Keep in mind that I changed my derailer from a Shimano Acera to a Shimano Claris. Also, I changed my cassette from the stock 7-speed to a 11-32 Nickel-plated cassette. You may have a little more trouble than I did. :)

Thanks so much walan! I did all of that and double checked to make sure the derailleur was only pushing the chain *barely* onto the 1st gear sprocket. There is some slop in the play of the Acera though. It does look to me the chain line coming from 1st to the chainring is very severe, perhaps more on my bike than the average RR. I only lost the chain three times today but I have bigger problems with the RR after I attempted a ride today in the foothills of the Cascades. I'll detail that experience in another post.

Having the same issue with mine that I got in early June. RPB is telling me to have links removed from the chain. I haven't done it yet but will give it try since I lose the chain on any bumps while in low gear. It just appears to be a flawed design with the chain angles. Very frustrating!

Having the same issue with mine that I got in early June. RPB is telling me to have links removed from the chain. I haven't done it yet but will give it try since I lose the chain on any bumps while in low gear. It just appears to be a flawed design with the chain angles. Very frustrating!
definitely a design flaw....working with them on it now. don't remove links because the tension is only necessary on the top of the chain which is fine...its going to take an additional spacer of some kind

definitely a design flaw....working with them on it now. don't remove links because the tension is only necessary on the top of the chain which is fine...its going to take an additional spacer of some kind

When I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago they wouldn't even admit they were having a problem !

I just want thank the OP for noting this problem today. I was just getting ready to buy 2 Radrovers, but going to wait till I see the chain problem is fixed. I live in a small town in Missouri with no local bike shop and it's a 100 mile trip for me to get to one.

I just want thank the OP for noting this problem today. I was just getting ready to buy 2 Radrovers, but going to wait till I see the chain problem is fixed. I live in a small town in Missouri with no local bike shop and it's a 100 mile trip for me to get to one.

I am in Missouri too ! Where are you from in Missouri ?

Last edited:
I have removed 2 links and did 12 miles without a problem. I have seen videos
of Radrovers just sold with a much shorter chain on them !

I have the new shorter shaft on my bottom bracket that I got from RPB !

I think I'm going to see what happens the next few off road rides and then
may take out a few more links !

Always good to upgrade the chain on an economy ebike.

Any suggestions for a good stronger chain ? I recently broke a link and bought a chain breaker tool to fix it. They use the same chain on their radwagon - it's a KMC Z7 Rustbuster and someone suggested that the KMC range is pretty good - so maybe I was just unlucky or something.

@sid5427 I would try this chain:

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Superlit...sr=8-1&keywords=KMC+heavy+duty+chain+116L#Ask

You may have to remove some links to make it work with the 7-speed cassette. Buy a good chain breaker tool or even a complete set of bicycle specialty tools. I use this decent set here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW4T7BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you were just unlucky and had a chain with a manufacturer defect, but I would double check the cassette, derailer adjustment, and chain wheel to make sure that nothing is causing damage to the chain.

@sid5427 I would try this chain:

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Superlit...sr=8-1&keywords=KMC+heavy+duty+chain+116L#Ask

You may have to remove some links to make it work with the 7-speed cassette. Buy a good chain breaker tool or even a complete set of bicycle specialty tools. I use this decent set here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW4T7BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you were just unlucky and had a chain with a manufacturer defect, but I would double check the cassette, derailer adjustment, and chain wheel to make sure that nothing is causing damage to the chain.

Cool - I'll buy the chain ASAP - tools I have - I only didn't have a specialized chain breaker - which will be delivered today.
Did the new chain come lubed ? or will it need some ?

Back