Caution: Dash BB cups may be loose

Thank you. I'm assuming that the above came from a distributor (only) portal rather than from an area of a website that we all can access regularly for updates...

Thank you. I'm assuming that the above came from a distributor (only) portal rather than from an area of a website that we all can access regularly for updates...
No, I got it from the Currie Tech Dealer Support website under Documents --> Misc.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks...wow, only 4 documents regarding problems (I'm guessing 2014 only)...it looks as if we need to copy them quick for future reference before they disappear.

And why would they disappear??
...I simply find it hard to believe that there has been but 4 problems across the entire line since 'before' February...or that they would archive every single problem with their bikes (forever in one list) for fear of creating an ongoing easily accessible (public vs the much more common distributor portal based) document that might possibly appear negative to some in the aggregate.

Just my $.02

My impression of Currie customer service from Larry Pizzi's contribution to this site to their excellent Currie Tech Dealer Support website is very positive. I feel Currie really wants to provide good information for us and to solve any problems we may have. I can't imagine them trying to hide anything from us.

Just my $.02

I must have not been clear...I'm looking at a site (link) with four 'product bulletins' in less than the last 3 months...and 'none' before that. I don't know how long Currie has been in business...but they must have had one heck of a trouble free run involving their products leading up to this February! (thus my uneducated guess above).

Last edited:
...great...now I'm after a 'crank puller' and a 'Shimano Bottom Bracket Tool'...(seriously) thank you, Brian for getting me on the ball to source them.

Good News!

I performed the procedures in the Bottom Bracket Tech Bulletin this morning and everything looked great. The wires were centered in the hole and were in perfect condition. The instructions were easy to follow and covered all the details necessary except for crank bolt torque when installing the crank arms.
  • Park Tool torque chart recommends 305 - 391 in-lbs for Shimano square tapered cranks.
  • Sheldon Brown says in the range of 350 in-lbs.
  • 350 in-lbs felt good to me.
I found the drive side BB cup to be sufficiently tight and did not move when I applied the 44 ft-lbs to it. Ran the Onboard diagnostic tests and everything looked good. Ready for a test ride once the sun comes out.

Oh, my...torque values! :p
Haven't received my dash (tomorrow?) or read the manual...are you referring to Park Tool and Mr. Brown because there are no values in the manual...for everything?
Good luck tomorrow....unless "..test ride once the sun comes out..." means farther away (from me) than I assumed. Can't thank you enough for giving me the last piece of the puzzle before that first wrench hits the bike.

I'm left wondering if all Dash units at the warehouse were unboxed, and the correct torque applied before they went out to dealers.

So that the problem does not happen with any new bikes being shipped as of, say last week?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

;)

Good question yet I'm going to use it as an opportunity to get the right tools and become familiar with the drive. If it'll happen once...it'll happen to me.

I'm left wondering if all Dash units at the warehouse were unboxed, and the correct torque applied before they went out to dealers.

So that the problem does not happen with any new bikes being shipped as of, say last week?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

;)

That is a very good point. It seems like once Currie knew of the problem, all new bikes after a certain date shouldn't have to worry about this because they would have been checked by Currie before they were sent to a dealer. At least one would think so.

However, I still think it is a good idea to remove the plastic insert on a periodic basis to see how the wires are doing. Just removing the insert is real easy to do.

Currie checked and tightened the bottom bracket cups in their warehouse is what my dealer told me. The newer document in this thread giving clearer instructions may also be explainable.When I got my dash back the second time the problem seems to have been the cadence sensors in the crank arms were out of phase, and that confused the controller. Once again from my dealer the instructions they followed weren't perfectly clear and they spent quite some time with Currie support working out what was wrong with the bike. from the date on the pdf file it was posted or updated 2 days after I got my bike back, if the out of phase bit happened to me it probably bit a few other people, hence clearer instructions posted. So far it is staying fixed this time, so I guess I keep the dash as my commute weapon of choice. I swear if I have to drive in rush hour traffic much more I am going to have a psychotic episode.

"...I swear if I have to drive in rush hour traffic much more I am going to have a psychotic episode..."
It would be the exact opposite for me if my path to work wasn't 'exclusive' (on a bike) where rush hour traffic existed.

Last edited:
Back