Cassette Questions for bike

Gustnado

I purchased a lightly used Specialized Levo two months ago. I love the bike and have put around 400 miles on it (500 total on bike as it was lightly used). I live in north-east Indiana with rolling hills and multiple elevation changes of anywhere from gradual to 150 ft. (I know, not much elevation change but some hills can be fairly steep). Based on how I seem to be riding (paved rail-to-trail, country roads-some paved & some gravel/dirt, and some off road-dirt path type of stuff), I find that there are some gaps with the current cassette set-up going from an 11 tooth cog all the way to a 40t. I have "never" used the 40t cog and only once or twice shifted to the 36t cog during my 400 miles of riding. Therefore, I am looking to replace the current cassette, an11-40t to something smaller!?!

I have to take my bike into the shop next week for other work and spoke to a mechanic at my lbs. He recommended replacing my current cassette with a Shimano HG500. I have little bike background on this, so I gave him the go-ahead to order a HG500 cassette with a 11-34t set-up.

My questions are the following:

1. Is this a decent quality cassette that will hold up for around 1500 miles under normal wear & tear of an ebike?
2. Should I replace the chain at the same time? (My lbs guy didn't seem too concerned about it)
3. Am I going to regret not having a larger cog even though I have barely used the lowest two gears?

Looking forward to any input! Thanks...

I thought a Levo uses a 11 speed cassette. Isn't the HG500 a 10 speed cassette. If so, a chain designed for 11 speed is too narrow for a 10 speed cassette.

I thought a Levo uses a 11 speed cassette. Isn't the HG500 a 10 speed cassette. If so, a chain designed for 11 speed is too narrow for a 10 speed cassette.

No, I just counted and the cassette I have is a SunRace 10 speed cassette!?! Maybe they changed it to an 11 speed at some point?
78F9119A-F02F-4D84-9FDA-4590B0265519.jpeg

Replacing the chain is based on it's condition. Measure the stretch and that will determine the condition. I'm still on original chain at 2,100 miles. I don't see the benefit of changing the cassette in the first place. I use the large diameter gear for 2 steep hills on my ride. I use all 10 on my Trekking Haibike, and all 11 on my Full Seven emtb Haibike.

Replacing the chain is based on it's condition. Measure the stretch and that will determine the condition. I'm still on original chain at 2,100 miles. I don't see the benefit of changing the cassette in the first place. I use the large diameter gear for 2 steep hills on my ride. I use all 10 on my Trekking Haibike, and all 11 on my Full Seven emtb Haibike.

Wow...that is awesome mileage you've gotten out of your chain!

I guess my main thought as to changing the cassette is that my "sweet spot" as far as cadence (according to Mission Control App) on flat terrain is mid 80's [83-87]. Much below that and I feel like I'm not getting as much of a cardio workout and as big as I am, I can't peddle for very long mid 90's and up. Since I haven't used the largest diameter gear (yet) and seldom use the second largest diameter gear, I thought having gears closer to each-other would help keep me in my sweet spot as far as cadence goes. I just am looking for peoples thoughts which I certainly appreciate yours and that you actually do use all of your gearing. I'd hate to make the change and then later regret it!!

Wow...that is awesome mileage you've gotten out of your chain!

I guess my main thought as to changing the cassette is that my "sweet spot" as far as cadence (according to Mission Control App) on flat terrain is mid 80's [83-87]. Much below that and I feel like I'm not getting as much of a cardio workout and as big as I am, I can't peddle for very long mid 90's and up. Since I haven't used the largest diameter gear (yet) and seldom use the second largest diameter gear, I thought having gears closer to each-other would help keep me in my sweet spot as far as cadence goes. I just am looking for peoples thoughts which I certainly appreciate yours and that you actually do use all of your gearing. I'd hate to make the change and then later regret it!!

You might miss those " spare" gears if the battery ever goes flat - perhaps go for a ride without the motor turned on before deciding?

Back