Cane Creek Thudbuster ST G4 clamps are poorly designed

mata2maui

Region
USA
Recent Amazon purchase but having issues with the clamping mechanism in terms of securing the saddle. You have to severely over-torque the clamp bolt (25Nm instead of the 16Nm recommended) or the rails will work loose. Problem is this Thudbuster clamps to the rails horizontally as opposed to vertically, as a result, the rails can work themselves upward while you ride. IOW, they don't clamp down on the rails they pinch them. The over-torque 25 Nm is the level that holds the rails securely, but I don't want to snap the small clamp bolt while riding it so I am trying to come up with a fix that will secure the seat at the 16Nm recommended.

713zNaE+rhL._AC_SX679_.jpg
51s0Ii6KXdL._AC_SX679_.jpg
518P7AWBYIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, applied black duct tape to the rails at the clamp points, wrapped tightly to a 3-4mm thickness. Now the clamps work better at the recommended torque. Should a $179 suspension seat post need duct tape to work properly??

I agree, mine broke (clamp bolt) when I installed a new seat just recently.
I bought a new Brooks b67 and installed it on my stock non suspension seatpost and it works better (more adjustable and secure) than the thudbuster st I have. The thudbuster keeps my seat too far back from the bars.
The Brooks b67 is the most comfortable seat I have had, no need for a suspension seatpost with a weak clamp design.
I bought a new clamp kit from Cane Creek $36.00, maybe my wife will like it over her springer seat post.

frustrating. the side clamp is a pretty common design, usually designed for rails that have a rough/matt finish. never had a problem with the more common specialized version when properly torqued. are the rails on your seat totally smooth? you could also try some assembly paste.

IMG_5297.jpeg

The Brooks saddle rails widen towards the rear of the seat. I can’t really adjust the seat as far forward as I need to.
I had a Fizik argo 3 that worked ok with the thudbuster, but after a couple years of riding on it it started to hurt my sit bones.
I really like my Brooks spring seat, can do 40 mile rides without my butt hurting.

The Brooks saddle rails widen towards the rear of the seat. I can’t really adjust the seat as far forward as I need to.
I had a Fizik argo 3 that worked ok with the thudbuster, but after a couple years of riding on it it started to hurt my sit bones.
I really like my Brooks spring seat, can do 40 mile rides without my butt hurting.
I am ordering the B67! Had a chance to try a friends Brooks Flyer and liked it, but the width of the B67 will suit me better I think.

Yes, they are awful clamps. I just couldn’t get my saddle to stay in the correct position. The nose of the saddle just kept on getting higher.

In the end, changed to a Cane Creek eeSilk+, which has a much improved saddle clamp.

DG…

Back