Canadian e-bike Class/Speed laws?

I am not sure if you have ridden a bike at 35 mph for a sustained period of 1 hr in city traffic ??!!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND people NOT try it. Even a small bump or a log can throw you off and it would end up in a bloody mess. I consider myself a quite capable bike rider but there is no way I would like to do 30 mph within the city. 25mph is plenty fast for a bike within city limits and it demands very sharp riding skills and spatial awareness.

Registering a scooter/ motorcycle and obtaining insurance is WAY cheaper than it is for a car and if someone has a need for 30mph bike, it would be prudent to get a scooter or a motorcycle.
Having the capability to ride at speeds above a bureaucrat-mandated 32 kph doesn’t mean someone is going to tear through city traffic at a high speed. But it would certainly be nice to have that option elsewhere.

Last edited:
Having the capability to ride at speeds above a bureaucrat-mandated 32 mph doesn’t mean someone is going to tear through city traffic at a high speed. But it would certainly be nice to have that option elsewhere.
It's 32kph which is 20mph.

Few understand that in the USA the CPSC recently declared LSEBs as defined federally in HR727 are not the same as ebikes per 3-class legislation. In other words there is not assist limit per the federal definition as it limits power to what can sustain a 170lb rider at 20mph on a level surface. This allows that assist lever to continue past 20mph but higher speeds are only achieved by human power being added to that assist level (about 350W).

It's 32kph which is 20mph.

Few understand that in the USA the CPSC recently declared LSEBs as defined federally in HR727 are not the same as ebikes per 3-class legislation. In other words there is not assist limit per the federal definition as it limits power to what can sustain a 170lb rider at 20mph on a level surface. This allows that assist lever to continue past 20mph but higher speeds are only achieved by human power being added to that assist level (about 350W).
Yes 32 kph….spellcheck 😩 I don’t understand what CPSC, LSEB, HR727 are, in fact I don’t understand your whole reply.

Back