Canadian e-bike Class/Speed laws?

Mtl_Biker

Does anyone know if the Canadian e-bike Class laws have changed recently? So recently that websites still don't show the changes?

I understand there's a Giant e-bike model for 2020 which is a Class 3 bike... meaning it'll give assist up to 45kph (28mph). I can't remember which model that was. In any case, when I visited my local dedicated Giant dealer about 10 days ago I asked them about it, and they checked and found that the model which has Class 3 in the States only is a Class 1 here in Canada. Same bike, same model year.

Then I did a search on the web and from what I found it seems that throughout Canada, e-bikes are limited to being Class 1, with a maximum assist speed of 32kph. This is a Federal mandate.

Yesterday I watched the very good YouTube review of the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 (done by EBR) which was filmed in Vancouver BC. In it he says the bike does 45kph (28mph).

So, I'm confused. In CANADA, does that bike really do 45kph?? Is it a Class 3? Have the Federal laws changed to allow this?

That Vado looks like a really nice bike, and I'd be interested in getting one, but not if here in Canada it would be only a Class 1.

Anyone?

Is is my understanding that Canadian law makers have decided that ebikes should be limited to 32kph and 500W, essentially rendering them as toys and not really good human scale transportation. Probably wanting to protect the tar sand oil industry. The question is is it really being enforced but buying a 45kph ebike in Canada may end up being a problem for anyone caught riding one.

I would hope that under USMCA that a common product definition is created so the same ebike models can be sold resulting in better economies of scale but I don't want to see the low speed low power limits of the EU adopted here. We need effective human scale transportation and 250-500W and 32kph limits are simply not sufficient for that goal.

Court was reviewing the Vado in Vancouver, but when he mentioned the bike's top speed (under power) he was, unfortunately, talking about the US market.
On one hand I think the 32kph cutoff is too low, but on the other hand it's higher than the ridiculous 25kph cutoff in the EU and Australia.

I can't imagine anyone getting a ticket for riding an ebike, under power, at speeds over 32kph in Canada. The police are too busy giving out tickets for people not obeying the 2 meter rule in empty parks. 🤣

I think that as long as you are riding sensibly you would not have to worry about tickets unless your bike is actually an electric scooter with pedals as one person here in Vancouver BC found out.

Yep to what Ken and Deacon said.

The Canadian version of the Vado SL is advertised on the Specialized site as max 32kph, which makes it quasi-pointless.

Wish they'd adjust the regs across the board in Canada to 28mph/45kph under assist (but keep throttle limit at 20mph/32kph), and eliminate the different classes.

I'd also be fine with a dry weight limit of somewhere around 80 lbs max - maybe lower (dry meaning without battery), so that those e-motorcycles can't classify as e-bikes.

I almost got rear ended by an EMMO Zone GTS about a month ago when he came zipping silently around construction here in Toronto. Dude took a nasty spill (mostly bloody knuckles and ruined jacket/pants) less than 10 feet behind me. He was a nice guy though. We talked for about 15 minutes. Wanted to make sure he was okay.

In reality you can own a much more powerful ebike but it's my understanding Canada (same as in the US when over the limits) expects you to register the ebike/emoped the equivalent of a motorcycle which can be costly (essentially taking away the ROI potential of an ebike supplementing a car).

I talked with one of the Colorado legislators that wrote the regulations (actually Colorado just adopted the People for Bikes Class 1 thru 3 recommendations) and questioned the technical merits of the regulations. He did agree that they should have had someone technical on the team but the legislation was pushed thru fast to help convince Haibike to move their US headquarters to Denver.

Anyone really wanting to supplement or replace a car with an ebike is going to find the 32kph / 20mph assist limit totally inappropriate. The Class 3 45/28 limit is OK but the reality is that most of Class 3 ebikes lack the power to sustain that speed without significant rider effort ... such that really cruise speeds of 22-24mph are realistic. I don't want super high speeds but if my bike has drive ratios that allow me to pedal at a reasonable cadence as high as 55kph/35mph then it seems common sense to allow assist speeds to that drive ratio. A human was able to sustain 33mph for 1 hour on a track so how can that be considered an "illegal" assist speed for an ebike. Makes no sense, but we need politicians that are paid to thinkn and not just listen to lobbyists.

@Angela M. and @troehrkasse
Could you please move this thread to E-bike laws and regulations forum so the forum readers can access this information easily?

I did careful analysis of the E-bike laws in Canada as "Zen E-bikes" will be located in the province Nova Scotia.
This is what I learnt:
  1. It is true that Canada regulates E-bikes with two metrics i.e., motor power not exceeding 500W and top speed of 20mph.
    [Hey this is still way better than the ridiculous 250W and 15 mph in EU]

2. Provinces have their own sub set of rules to regulate E-bikes.

3. Most provinces do not differentiate between throttle vs pedal assist to reach 32 kmph (20 mph).

4. There are companies like VoltBike, Biktrix and even certain products of Grin Tech reach well above the 32 kmph limit. This places the liability on the company in the event of an accident.

5. There is no proper clarity on whether pure pedal assist bikes can exceed 32kmph limit. This is why Stromer was selling bikes in Canada and most Stromer models are capable of 28mph.

6. If the company is willing to take on the liability and the customer is willing to sign a disclaimer that they will only use it on private land then it is possible to offer 28mph /45kmph E-bikes.
    This is one way Zen will be able to offer 45 kmph bikes in Canada.

7. Why do companies like Trek and Specialized do not offer 45 kmph bikes?
    Because it could mean losing selling rights and a whole bunch of insurance paperwork to protect themselves in the case of an accident. They want to retain their placement within the industry as bicycle makers not moped or high power EV makers.

8. Finally, if the riders are sensible, it should not lead to a legal mess. It would be fine.

Last edited:
@Angela M. and @troehrkasse
Could you please move this thread to E-bike laws and regulations forum so the forum readers can access this information easily?

I did careful analysis of the E-bike laws in Canada as "Zen E-bikes" will be located in the province Nova Scotia.
This is what I learnt:
  1. It is true that Canada regulates E-bikes with two metrics i.e., motor power not exceeding 500W and top speed of 20mph.
    [Hey this is still way better than the ridiculous 250W and 15 mph in EU]

2. Provinces have their own sub set of rules to regulate the E-bikes.

3. Most provinces do not differentiate between throttle vs pedal assist to reach 32 kmph (20 mph).

4. There are companies like VoltBike, Biktrix and even certain products of Grin Tech reach well above the 32 kmph limit. This places the liability on the company in the event of an accident.

5. There is no proper clarity on whether pure pedal assist bikes can exceed 32kmph limit.

6. If the company is willing to take on the liability and the customer is willing to sign a disclaimer that they will only use it on private land then it is possible to offer 28mph /45kmph E-bikes.
    This is one way Zen will be able to offer 45 kmph bikes in Canada.

7. Why do companies like Trek and Specialized do not offer 45 kmph bikes?
    Because it could mean losing selling rights and a whole bunch of insurance paperwork to protect themselves in the case of an accident. They want to retain their placement within the industry as bicycle makers not moped or high power EV makers.

8. Finally, if the riders are sensible, it should not lead to a legal mess. It would be fine.
Basically most bike shops won’t sell anything faster than 32kph to avoid any hassles with insurance/law. My LBS practically kicked me out of the store for asking them if they could delimit my Vado.
I do see some delimited bikes on the streets and the riders have no issues with the police. As long as they don’t get involved in an accident. Police have better thing to do than enforcing stupid ebike laws.

I don't want super high speeds but if my bike has drive ratios that allow me to pedal at a reasonable cadence as high as 55kph/35mph then it seems common sense to allow assist speeds to that drive ratio.

I am not sure if you have ridden a bike at 35 mph for a sustained period of 1 hr in city traffic ??!!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND people NOT try it. Even a small bump or a log can throw you off and it would end up in a bloody mess. I consider myself a quite capable bike rider but there is no way I would like to do 30 mph within the city. 25mph is plenty fast for a bike within city limits and it demands very sharp riding skills and spatial awareness.

Registering a scooter/ motorcycle and obtaining insurance is WAY cheaper than it is for a car and if someone has a need for 30mph bike, it would be prudent to get a scooter or a motorcycle.

I am not sure if you have ridden a bike at 35 mph for a sustained period of 1 hr in city traffic ??!!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND people NOT try it. Even a small bump or a log can throw you off and it would end up in a bloody mess. I consider myself a quite capable bike rider but there is no way I would like to do 30 mph within the city. 25mph is plenty fast for a bike within city limits and it demands very sharp riding skills and spatial awareness.

Registering a scooter/ motorcycle and obtaining insurance is WAY cheaper than it is for a car and if someone has a need for 30mph bike, it would be prudent to get a scooter or a motorcycle.

I was merely pointing out that a human can/has sustained a speed over 50kph/30mph for an extended period of time and most road bikes have the gearing available for reasonable cadence over 30mph. I have on 100s maybe 1000s of occasions hit speeds over 30mph on a non assisted traditional road bike...albeit almost always on a downhill stretch. I would not ride at that speed if I didn't know the road I was riding very well, but I do not consider that speed automatically dangerous.

You promote an ebike that is capable of speeds exceeding 32kph which many will argue is more than fast enough to set the assist limit at. I do believe a very good reliable transportation-grade ebike that can be ridden as fast as 55kph (conditions assumed to not be dangerous which is the rider's fault if they ride fast in bad conditions) is not rocket science technology. I just think enough power to do that, which will allow good average full commute speeds maybe as high as 45kph, just makes sense for a human scale transportation solution to get more people out of cars.

There have been enough surveys and studies to tell us all that 32kph assist limit is not compelling for most riders looking for a good commuting ebike. Add to that there is hardly any data really saying that riding faster than 32kph all of sudden is super dangerous. When riding in a street side bike lane just the opposite has been shown in studies because the speed differential to the passing cars is reduced.

I think that as long as you are riding sensibly you would not have to worry about tickets unless your bike is actually an electric scooter with pedals as one person here in Vancouver BC found out.
It wasn't so much an issue of how *I* ride (sensibly or not) but rather a question about whether or not such a bike could be legally sold here in Canada. If Canadian Federal law says that an e-bike cannot have assist at higher than 32kph, then I very much doubt if any legitimate bike maker would sell one here that flaunts that law.

I was just surprised at Court's YouTube video review of that bike when he was doing it in Vancouver Canada and said the bike had assist up to 45kph. That made me wonder if the Canadian laws had changed. And I guess they haven't.

Court was reviewing the Vado in Vancouver, but when he mentioned the bike's top speed (under power) he was, unfortunately, talking about the US market.
On one hand I think the 32kph cutoff is too low, but on the other hand it's higher than the ridiculous 25kph cutoff in the EU and Australia.

I can't imagine anyone getting a ticket for riding an ebike, under power, at speeds over 32kph in Canada. The police are too busy giving out tickets for people not obeying the 2 meter rule in empty parks. 🤣
Thanks for the clarification.

Article in the Globe and Mail reporting on the repeal effective from February 4, 2021, of the Canadian federal definition of a “power assisted bicycle”. PAB excluded ebikes from Transport Canada’s federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations, so from now on provinces and territories get to decide how ebikes are regulated.

Source: Matt Bubbers. (February 2, 2021). What's an e-bike? Transport Canada tells the provinces to figure it out; Transport Canada's decision to repeal its definition of 'power-assisted bicycle,' as of Feb. 4 of this year, seems like a missed opportunity. The Globe & Mail. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/dri...-canada-tells-the-provinces-to-figure-it-out/

“City streets, once ruled almost exclusively by automobiles, are now host to a cornucopia of weird and occasionally wonderful e-things: e-bicycles, e-scooters, e-skateboards, one-wheeled hoverboards, shared electric kick-scooters and cargo e-bikes.

If you've managed to leave your house lately, you've probably seen some of them, perhaps cruising down the road or a sidewalk, or weaving through traffic. Depending on where you live, the use of certain micromobility vehicles - a broad category which includes the various e-things listed above - may be illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop people from using them. The cat's out of the bag.

Clearly, people are desperate for fast, clean, low-cost alternatives to automobiles and transit, especially in cities. Traffic is terrible, the climate is warming, and electric micromobility vehicles offer some small hope. They're well suited to travelling within cities, can be easily parked and could replace some trips by car or ridesharing. Amid the pandemic, they also allow people to avoid crowded buses and subway cars.

In this context, Transport Canada's decision to repeal its definition of "power-assisted bicycle" (PAB), as of Feb. 4 of this year, seems like a missed opportunity. Instead of creating a few nationally standardized categories and basic safety standards for micromobility vehicles, as the European Union has done, the federal government is leaving it up to the provinces and territories.

The PAB definition was created in 2001 to exclude e-bikes from Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSR), a department spokesperson wrote in an e-mail. The repeal effectively broadens the range of vehicles not covered by the regulations to encompass e-bikes and other micromobility devices with a top speed of less than 32 km/h.

Following the repeal, it will be up to provinces and territories to define the multitude of new micromobility vehicles and then regulate them and their users. That could get messy, and the segment is already messy enough.

There isn't just one type of e-bike. (That would be too easy.) Some e-bikes look like bicycles, others look like motorcycles or Vespa scooters, some have throttles, while others require pedalling to engage the motor. There are heavy electric cargo bikes with two, three or four wheels. And that doesn't even include the different types of electric skateboards, kick-scooters and one-wheeled hoverboards yet.

We don't even a shared vocabulary for such modes of transportation, let alone a universal classification system. Admittedly, it's hard to categorize these vehicles, given how rapid their evolution is, but before you can impose basic safety standards, rider requirments and say which of them are allowed where, you've got to first define them. "You'll know it when you see it," won't cut it. The European Union has well-defined categories. In the United States, some states are voluntarily signing onto a three-tier e-bike classification system. Ontario is already working on its own classifications.

Consider the big picture for a moment. E-bikes, and micromobility options in general, have the potential to make life better, not only becausethey're fun to ride but because they could reduce traffic congestion and climate-change-causing emissions. Micromobility vehicles could even make roads safer, according to a2020 report from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

By 2023, the number of e-bikes in circulation around the world is expected to reach 300 million, up from 200 million in 2019, according to a 2019 Deloitte report. These things aren't a fad.

Mark Stout, a senior analyst with the Pembina Institute, a clean-energy think tank based in Calgary, said that if people were to walk, take transit or use a micromobility option for some trips they typically make in their gas-powered car, they could significantly reduce their personal contributions to climate change.

Electric cargo bikes, such as the ones FedEx are using as part of a pilot project in Toronto, could help solve the last-mile delivery problem. "We are expecting, and this comes from the federal government, the emissions of goods movement to surpass those of people movement in about the year 2030," Stout said.

In an open letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Canada Bikes, a national cycling advocacy group, warned that "shifting the responsibility for micromobility device safety to each province and territory will lead to red tape and competing sets of rules across the country." That will only create confusion, slow adoption and reduce the choices available to Canadians, it warned.

"We're going to see more of what we've already seen, which is a proliferation of unregulated micromobility devices that are causing trouble for consumers, that are causing headaches for cities and municipalities across the country," said Darnel Harris, an urban planner specializing in sustainable mobility and executive director of the Our Greenway, a non-profit group that aims to create a cycling network across northwest Toronto.

Nobody wants to see a tangled web of conflicting standards and regulations across Canada. What works in downtown Montreal may not work in rural Manitoba, but with a national classification system, local jurisdictions can more easily pick and choose what works for them. If we're going to take advantage of micromobility's potential to help solve our transportation woes, then we need government to take the lead.

It's past time for policy-makers to step up and sort out this micromobility mess so we can all get where we need to go more safely and efficiently.”

Last edited:
It wasn't so much an issue of how *I* ride (sensibly or not) but rather a question about whether or not such a bike could be legally sold here in Canada. If Canadian Federal law says that an e-bike cannot have assist at higher than 32kph, then I very much doubt if any legitimate bike maker would sell one here that flaunts that law.

I was just surprised at Court's YouTube video review of that bike when he was doing it in Vancouver Canada and said the bike had assist up to 45kph. That made me wonder if the Canadian laws had changed. And I guess they haven't.
That's because Court is aiming his e-bike reviews at the North American e-bike market(not just Canada). He moved to Canada several years ago. I have criticized Court in the past in his written EBR reviews, when he reviews certain Class 3 models from Specialized for example, & states it's available in Canada(when in fact, it's NA in Canada that specific model).

I live in Newfoundland Canada. I have a 2021 Emmo Zone GTS,
YES IT has a 500w acceleration limit from takeoff , it was allowed from Ontario and since NFLD hasn't had it's highest traffic Act updated, I can ride at any speed, anywhere where humans don't walk, and I drive 33km he speed 1, 54 speed 2, and up to 110 speed 3

I live in Newfoundland Canada. I have a 2021 Emmo Zone GTS,
YES IT has a 500w acceleration limit from takeoff , it was allowed from Ontario and since NFLD hasn't had it's highest traffic Act updated, I can ride at any speed, anywhere where humans don't walk, and I drive 33km he speed 1, 54 speed 2, and up to 110 speed 3
No idea what you are saying but if you are doing 110kph on you Emmo it's not a compliant ebike in Canada or the US. Probably one of those "off-road" electric dirt bikes with pedals that exploit a loophole when ridden on public infrastructure. Be aware that if you do end up hitting someone on a MUP you could end up with a huge civil lawsuit problem. That is not worth the risk and I'm someone that doesn't support the low cut-off speed in Canada or the US.

I'm 110% positive confirmed with manufacturer made in Canada who sent the provincial traffic Act. Only difference is, in order for bike tires to touch the roads you need a valid, non expired license. 110 is with wind behind me.

Take off speed is that just line a normal 500w motor.

I have a700c vector cm 29" road bike with 2 controllers, and 2kw motor on back, 1kw on front.

I have (on my road bicycle) 2 fish brakes and 2 torque arms on front, 13s 6p for front with self made 20A BMS. Rear I'm using 20700 cells, 13s 7p. These cells are rated 15A continuous discharge and 5000mAh don't anyone call these fake, because I don't order from online. I use over the phone communication only.

My Emmo came shipped via boat I have the 2x 30Ah switchable between each batteries. I know the law, I was featured in a Newfoundland tourism EV showcase 2 weeks ago.

So whoever said federal mandate don't realize there's is a section that talks about bike CC's, there is no engine, just a rear 4kw hub motor. Ontario the place, River the Wind, look on YouTube for Jolene's videos.

She told me Newfoundland and Yukon roads are not supporting of any bikes, ppl use them to park.

I've been hauled over countless times until I got my own license plate.

There is an ebike shop here besides mine which is www.wattsonthego.ca, and theirs quote everything from the other provinces.
I have Note written my a lieutenant with a phone and line # in case of emergency if I'm not believed or taken seriously

P. S.
The bicycle here in pic was before I got the 2kw and 1kw motors

Attachments

• PXL_20211103_124625997.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211103_124625997.PORTRAIT.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 312
  • PXL_20211101_194501333.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211101_194501333.PORTRAIT.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 261
  • PXL_20211101_175442275.jpg
    PXL_20211101_175442275.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 241
  • PXL_20220404_213810241.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220404_213810241.PORTRAIT.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 240
I was talking to an employee of the province seeking information. If it is above 500w it is a motor vehicle. I asked how can bike shops sell them. They said they can't unless they have a license to sell motorized vehicles, which they don't. I asked the store about it and they said they didn't know of anyone charged or ticketed for a more than 500w bike so it was OK to sell and ride them. I suppose it is like the laws were on weed......weed never hit a small child by accident on a bike path though.

Back